Who is/was the stronger skater of the partnership? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who is/was the stronger skater of the partnership?

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Ina/Zimmermann-- he was the weaker of the two. He wasn't as strong a jumper, but he presented her so well. He was also a lot more artistic than she was.

Torvill/Dean-- the team before 1981 showed Jayne as the weaker skater. After 1981, they were pretty evenly-matched (and unmatched by the rest!)

Gordeeva/Grinkov-- yes, this is sacrilege, but if there was a weaker skater in this pair, it was, at one time, Katya. She caught up to Sergei, though.

Lang/Tchernyshev-- Throughout their career, Lang seemed weaker than Pyotr.

mrrice

Record Breaker
With Sale' and Pelletier, I thought he was a better skater but, she was a far better performer. It seemed to me that She drew strength from Him and Vice Versa. That's what makes any pair team great.

I love the way that Scott Moir performs. He's loose and fun but, he doesn't "oversell." I think he's able to be that way because he knows that Tessa can hold her own. I've seen pairs who are so insecure that they barely take their eyes off their partner. It's actually hard to watch as you know a mistake is coming.

I have so much respect for pairs who not only skate well together but, stay together !

Babbette1

On the Ice
Remember the Kerrs?

I always thought John Kerr was the stronger skater. I enjoyed their innovative programs (especially the robots) but Sinead would occasionally seem to fall behind John and have to catch up.

And as for Usova and Zhulin mentioned above, their performance of the compulsory dances was always top notch. Zhulin was just such a frowny face though.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Averbukh >>>>>> >>>Lobacheva
Fusar-Poli >>>>>>>>> Margaglio
Trankov >>>> Mukhortova
Pelletier >>> Sale (Jamie Sale's jumps were terrible)
Sakhnovski>>>>>>>> Chait
Paul Duchesnay >>> Isabelle Duchesnay (Isabelle's skating skills....)
Domnina >>> >Shabalin (mostly because of Shabalin's knee. He was really good before the injuries.)
Navka >>>>> >Kostomarov
Khoklova >>>>>>> Novitski and Andreev
Grushina >>>> Goncharov
Agosto >>>> Belbin (though Belbin bought the perk, Agosto's the better skater)
Tchernyshev>>>>>>>>> Lang

Also, I don't think Usova/Zhulin were horribly imbalanced in skill at all.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I too think they are extremely well matched. Hard to imagine either of them with somebody else.

Oh I totally agree. My comment is not any slight towards Tessa who I adore. I am just saying Scott is a very strong leading man type of skater with his ways about the ice. Part of that impression may has to do with most dancing styles have the male to lead. After Carmen, my perception totally changed.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Averbukh >>>>>> >>>Lobacheva
Fusar-Poli >>>>>>>>> Margaglio
Trankov >>>> Mukhortova
Pelletier >>> Sale (Jamie Sale's jumps were terrible)
Sakhnovski>>>>>>>> Chait
Paul Duchesnay >>> Isabelle Duchesnay (Isabelle's skating skills....)
Domnina >>> >Shabalin (mostly because of Shabalin's knee. He was really good before the injuries.)
Navka >>>>> >Kostomarov
Khoklova >>>>>>> Novitski and Andreev
Grushina >>>> Goncharov
Agosto >>>> Belbin (though Belbin bought the perk, Agosto's the better skater)
Tchernyshev>>>>>>>>> Lang

Also, I don't think Usova/Zhulin were horribly imbalanced in skill at all.

More like:

Fusar-Poli >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Margaglio

It was super impressive to see her handle him and drag him around the ice though! She was a treasure.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
More like:

Fusar-Poli >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Margaglio

It was super impressive to see her handle him and drag him around the ice though! She was a treasure.

LOLOLOLOL!!!

And yes, heaven bless Isabelle Duchesnay. Skating and skills never did quite go together comfortably for her, but she was a prime example of just how much showmanship and performing ability can hide a multitude of sins (it also helps to have a genius choreographer who can give all the tough moves to her better partner. Bless you too Mr Dean!).

Meoima

Match Penalty
When Elena I. And Nikita K. skated together at Sochi, I saw Elena as the stronger parter. Her "acting" in their Swan Lake Free Dance was so captivating, while Nikita on the other hand, wasn't memorable like Elena.
My feelings were the same. Elena was so much more memorable in both SD and FD. But to give Nikita some credit, I did notice him a bit in the FD. But I still looked at Elena more.

Meoima

Match Penalty
More like:

She should have skated with a broom and still won all of her medals lol.

slider11

Medalist
I have heard Charlie's skating skills lauded. But Meryl really up-ed her game after 2009 and developed incredible core and strength for her 100 lb size. I saw much less catch-up skating by Meryl and an ability to more than hold her own with the speed that Charlie generated. Incredible team!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I have heard Charlie's skating skills lauded. But Meryl really up-ed her game after 2009 and developed incredible core and strength for her 100 lb size. I saw much less catch-up skating by Meryl and an ability to more than hold her own with the speed that Charlie generated. Incredible team!

Well, when they went head to head, Meryl beat Charlie............ on Dancing With The Star. :slink:

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
Well, when they went head to head, Meryl beat Charlie............ on Dancing With The Star. :slink:

I think that is because Meryl is more adept at doing the emotional and vulnerable artistic performance. Charlie/Sharna were as good technically as Meryl/Maks (better than Amy and James in my opinion) but the fact that he couldn't build chemistry with Sharna and be vulnerable and sexy cost him a spot in the finals. When he competes with Meryl she can sell it. I also think that Marina did a great job of choreographing for them either giving them programs where female lead has more nuances to artistic performance (like there OGM long program) or she finds a way to tap into Charlie's protectiveness of Meryl to get emotional performance (like their 13 LP to Notre Dame de Paris.) As to Scott and Tessa I think they are both great skaters technically and artistically and match well on the ice.

lyndichee

Medalist
I think that is because Meryl is more adept at doing the emotional and vulnerable artistic performance. Charlie/Sharna were as good technically as Meryl/Maks (better than Amy and James in my opinion) but the fact that he couldn't build chemistry with Sharna and be vulnerable and sexy cost him a spot in the finals. When he competes with Meryl she can sell it. I also think that Marina did a great job of choreographing for them either giving them programs where female lead has more nuances to artistic performance (like there OGM long program) or she finds a way to tap into Charlie's protectiveness of Meryl to get emotional performance (like their 13 LP to Notre Dame de Paris.) As to Scott and Tessa I think they are both great skaters technically and artistically and match well on the ice.

Charlie was definitely not technically on par with Meryl/Maks; it was incredibly obvious in his lines, knees and his latin footwork.

I guess to get back on topic, I think Lubov might be a bit weak for Dylan Moscovitch. Her triple jumps and spins are shaky and I feel like although they enjoy their partnership, Dylan will never get back to that 4th place finish level at worlds. Don't get me wrong, I love them and how much heart they skate with, but I don't see them going anywhere competitively.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Charlie was definitely not technically on par with Meryl/Maks; it was incredibly obvious in his lines, knees and his latin footwork.

I guess to get back on topic, I think Lubov might be a bit weak for Dylan Moscovitch. Her triple jumps and spins are shaky and I feel like although they enjoy their partnership, Dylan will never get back to that 4th place finish level at worlds. Don't get me wrong, I love them and how much heart they skate with, but I don't see them going anywhere competitively.

I must be looking at a different Dylan and Lubov :shrug:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
and even Zhao Hongbo with Shen Xue who eventually turned out to be one of the best Pairs partnerships ever.

Was Xue Shen really that much inferior to Hongbo Zhao? I always thought they were evenly matched, and her ability to land those massive throws was unmatched. Neither could spin all that well.

Others that spring off my head as unmatched or could be better matched was Pelletier over Sale, Agosto over Belbin, Eisler over Brasseur, and though I couldn't stand Ina's super-wrap on her jumps I don't think Dungjen would ever have made National champion without her.

AmEagle3313

Rinkside
I always thought Jenni Meno was a stronger skater, especially in the jumps/presentation department, than Todd Sand. She would skate down the ice to muscle that triple toe out...and then Todd would double. Again. They had some clear weaknesses in their skating, as well as some great chemistry, but it seemed to me that she was a level above him. Maybe it was just because I remember Dick Button gushing about her back position all the time, though. :)

Layback11

Record Breaker
Kirsten > Michael (painfully so...)
Alex > Maia (at least with presentation and now I feel like a horrible person because Maia is amazing too :no:)
Can't think of any more that haven't already been discussed

Question: who's stronger of H/B?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From the "Way Back Files"...

Irina Rodnina was better than any other pairs skater of her time. After an OGM and 4 WC's with Alexi Ulanov (who dumped her), she didn't miss a beat, picking up with Alexander Zaitsev and racking up 2 more OGM's and six WC's.

She was electrifying. You really couldn't take your eyes off her.

Think about it... 10 straight WC's. Three straight OGM's. 10 straight EC's, plus another "comeback" one after her baby/before the 1980 Olympics.

We'll not see a career like this again.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I'm a dancer, not a skater, but isn't the whole point of partner work that you form a unit as a couple? So doesn't the fact that one partner stands out a lot more than the other indicate a failure of the partnership even if they don't make mistakes as such?