THE ICE 2015 - Mao's Ice Show! From Sapporo to Sendai (07/22 - 08/02) | Golden Skate

THE ICE 2015 - Mao's Ice Show! From Sapporo to Sendai (07/22 - 08/02)

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Surprise that there isn't a thread for it :think:

Anyway, feel free to post new videos and thoughts about the show!

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
From the awesome mikaboo! (reposting from the offseason show thread) thanks for the links and info!
Mao Asada's THE ICE 2015 was partially broadcasted on Fuji TV today.
I think the full show will be uploaded on their official YT channel soon, but for those who are impatient to see, someone has uploaded the show on dailymotion.

Part 1
The opening with Mao Asada's Masquerade
Kanako Murakami's "Time To Say Goodbye"
Misha Ge's "Tribute to Daisuke Takahashi"
Satoko Miyahara's "Un Sospiro" by Franz Liszt
Asada/Rochette/Costner's "Benedictus" by Karl Jenkins

Part 2

Patrick Chan's "Mess is Mine"
Takahiko Kozuka's "Epilogue" by Ryuichi Sakamoto
Mao Asada's "Puttin' on the Ritz"
Asada/Buttle's "Por una cabeza"

Last edited:

mikaboo

Medalist
From the awesome mikaboo! (reposting from the offseason show thread) thanks for the links and info!

Thanks for starting the thread!
Here is the list of cast of the show.
http://www.ctv.co.jp/event/the_ice/cast/index.html
And the official YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/theiceCTV/videos
I think they'll start uploading videos some time after August 2nd when the main TV station broadcasts the show.

Edit: Seems like they shut down the official YouTube channel :confused:

Last edited:

hurrah

Medalist
Mao was lovely and strong! Love that triple toe they showed in the Benedictus program. It's the strongest it's ever been! And her loop now has an insane delay! And her skating is fantastic and strong! And the thing I love about Mao's facial expression is that it's always tasteful! Just wonderful and cannot gush enough about her.

Besides Mao, Patrick Chan!! :love: His skating is to die-for! He is a skating god. I love his skating and wish he would become the next Olympic champion. He totally deserves it. (And then maybe Yuzu will stick around for another cycle, too.)

And Kanako appeared taller than Mao when they were standing together in a clip at the beginning of the show. :shocked: She must have had a final growth spurt 19~20-years-old. :no: I hope her music selection doesn't mean anything special.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
This show is so full of quality skating.
The trio of Joannie, Carolina and Mao skating together was...:love:

Let's talk about Satoko's New Program...what does everyone think?
She laid it all out for us again like she did last Season when she won me over as her fan.

Things I like about Satoko and her program:
1. She is polished at the beginning of the season and then just keeps getting better from there
2. She is not holding back on her jumps, she's trying them all!
3. This program is pushing Satoko to be more emotional in her face and her upper body is less stiff in this program than last Seasons'.
4. I like the Music.

Needs to work on:
Jumps. Always. :hopelessness: But she knows that, and that is why she is trying them here in the spotlights, early in the season.

Kanako is not yet fully recovered and I'm very worried for her.

Mao's Puttin' on the Ritz is so fun! I wish she had a different costume though. Black on in a dark show rink is not showing up very well. Maybe a white suit instead? Her joy in skating shines through.

Patrick's skating is so unique and powerful, he seems to be enjoying skating more than ever. He says in the video clip of him that he's trying things Yuzu is not, and Yuzu is trying things that he is not, and that it makes a good competition.

Good words Patrick. You are on the right track. :biggrin:

Wow, Patrick and Kozuka back-to-back in the broadcast, what a treat!

Kozuka makes me feel things deeply. His jumps are all over the place but his skating. I know everyone has that one skater who you can watch just skating, without the jumps. Kozuka is that skater for me. I'm so happy he is engaged and happy with someone special.

Mao and Jeffery's collaboration just makes me laugh. :biggrin:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Thanks hurrah and Newbie for your thoughts! I'm definitely envious of anyone who has the chance to see Mao and co. live and breathing and skating beautifully. Hope to read more from you guys and from also others~ :dance::cheer:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I forgot to mention Misha's tribute to Daisuke Takahashi. Well done, and a great way to win over more Japanese fans! :thumbsup:

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I just saw THE ICE in Osaka this afternoon!! I'll post a recap later, but it appears that certain skaters are skating different programs per show! For instance, satoko skated her FS, Misha skated a fun Egyptian hip hop exhibition, and Carolina did an interesting rock and roll program!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I just saw THE ICE in Osaka this afternoon!! I'll post a recap later, but it appears that certain skaters are skating different programs per show! For instance, satoko skated her FS, Misha skated a fun Egyptian hip hop exhibition, and Carolina did an interesting rock and roll program!

Looking forward to your re-cap
:cheer2:

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
Okay, I just got back from THE ICE in Osaka this afternoon and it was absolutely amazing! I actually live in the U.S., but I was lucky enough to be visiting relatives in Osaka during the show, so I got some tickets with my mom and got to go! My seats were the arena seats so I was really close to the ice! Additionally, I purchased a few towels, a program, and a shirt! Overall it was such a great experience!

I've been to a few ice shows in the U.S., and let me just say, THE ICE audience was so much more enthusiastic and responsive to all the action! I heard lots of clapping, gasps, cheers, and saw many audience members holding up flags and banners! Nothing against American shows of course, but as this was my first Japanese show, that's what I noticed first!

The opening number was set to Masquerade Waltz! Apparently there was a poll on what programs the audience wanted to see, and they voted on this one and another one that the skaters closed with in the finale! Everyone dressed up in really pretty ball gowns and suits and "waltzed" around the rink. That is, until Mao, Adam and Misha came out with funny court jester costumes! They were fun and definitely entertaining! After that, patrick came out dressed as a wizard with a huge vase! After some fun playing around, Mao took off her huge costume and revealed a really beautiful long red gown! Then she skated her step sequence to her masquerade waltz program!

Takahiko Kozuka skated his new exhibition! It was a very serene piece of music with strings and piano. It was very beautiful, and watching him in person made me really appreciate his skating skills!
Kanako murakami skated "time to say goodbye", I'm not sure if it was an ex or sp. she popped a jump, but otherwise, it was a very nice and beautiful skate!
Misha Ge skated a very high energy hip hop exhibition to some weird Egyptian-fusion music! Lots of really awesome dancing and really entertaining!
Ashley Wagner skated her new samba SP! It's very fun and sassy with lots of samba steps! It's very fierce and entertaining. After she was finished, she skated a short collab number with Adam to moulin rouge.
Jeremy skated to Sam smith's cover of "How will I know". It was very beautiful and nice!
W/P did their new exhibition number. It reminded me of the story of Romeo and Juliet, I think that's what they were going for!
Jeffrey buttle did a fun number to uptown funk! It got the audience cheering and clapping along!
Akiko Suzuki did a really nice exhibition number! Watching her live really made me realize how much she projects her joy and charisma into the audience! She really brings you into the performance, and it was so much fun watching her. She also did her hydroblade!
Mao, Carolina, and Joannie then did their collab number to Benedictus which was such a beautiful program! The message was something about peace, which seemed to be the theme of the show! They were all so lovely and performed wonderful side by side jumps and spirals! It was an excellent collaboration program. Afterwards, they group hugged. It was really sweet!

During intermission, nobunari oda came out to interview Mao, Jeffrey, and Patrick! I'm glad Jeffrey and patrick were interviewed so I could understand them in English! Haha. Basically what was said was, they all enjoyed eating sushi in Sapporo, patrick had interesting Okonomiyaki in Osaka (it had some kind of tendon in it?), Jeffrey and Mao were very excited for their collaboration number in the finale, and Patrick was excited that Mao and him were making their comeback to competitive skating together because he knew there would be someone else who could relate to what he would be feeling during competition. He also mentioned that he would feel less stress in competitions and would have less expectations of himself (just enjoying skating).

The second act opened up with a group number with Patrick, Ashley, Satoko, Jeremy, Kozuka and Mura choreographed by Jeffery.
Adam rippon skated his new SP to "who wants to live forever". It was cool, but the costume was interesting haha.
Satoko skated her new FS and it was so beautiful! The dress was also great. She did her combination spin in both directions right in front of my seat! She fell on her first two jumps, but everything else was spot on.
Joannie skated to La vie en Rose and it was the second time I saw her skate to this! (The first being Stars on Ice). It was just as lovely!
Takahito Mura skated his new SP to "dark eyes". His jumps are very big!
Nobunari oda skated to a really nice piano piece that I can't name at the moment. His jumps were good for the most part!
Pang/Tong skated next to their "arms of the angel" exhibition. It was very beautiful and lovely and watching them live made it so much more enchanting! They were my mom's favorite, and one of mine as well!
Carolina skated next to an interesting rock and roll exhibition with lots of drums and instruments! It was very interesting and fun to watch.
Patrick skated to dear prudence/blackbird and I saw this program already on Stars on Ice but it was just as good the second time! All his jumps were great! He seems to be in excellent shape!
Mao skated her Puttin' on the Ritz exhibition and it was so much fun! Her costume is not as bad as in the pictures, she used a table, chair, and cane and top hat! It's a very fun and jazzy program with lots of fun little nuances. She didn't make any jump mistakes and everyone had such a fun time watching!
For the finale, they split up into groups and skated little mini collaboration programs. First up was the Japanese skaters minus Mao and Akiko. They skated a fun dance number. Then, it was Akiko, Joannie, Misha and Adam and they skated a fun pairs program together. Then, W/P and P/T skated together and showed off some impressive lifts! Then Ashley, Carolina, Patrick, Jeremy skated a really pretty collab program together. Finally, Mao and Jeffrey closed out the finale with a recreation of Mao's Por una Cabeza exhibition! It was excellent. They skated very well together and it was fun to see again! If I'm not wrong, i think Mao wore a dress of the similar design to the original exhibition! There was a middle section where all of a sudden the music got really quick and fast and Mao and Jeffrey sped up and got really fierce! The audience got really excited during that part and cheered really loud!
After that, all the skaters came out with THE ICE shirts and fun colored skirts and pants for the finale! This was where we all danced the finale dance that Mao taught in the video on THE ICE YouTube channel! All the skaters faced the audience around the rink and did the dance in place a couple of times! Pang/Tong were right in front of me when this happened and they were really happy and enthusiastic! (It was cool because some Chinese skating fans were sitting next to me and they had made a sign in Chinese for P/T and showed it to them during this part! They were really excited!)
After that, all the skaters circled the rink and continued to dance! It was so much fun dancing along to it! Akiko Suzuki stood near my row and danced a couple of times! She interacted with some of the audience a bit which was really sweet!
After that, the staff brought out a few autographed balls that the skaters threw to the audience! Unfortunately, I didn't catch any, as most were thrown to the upper rows for the people who sat farther away. I saw Adam rippon try and aim at a fan that he caught eye contact with but he missed terribly! He was a good sport about it though!

Sorry this recap was super long, I tried to be quick about everything! If anyone wants me to elaborate more on any skater I mentioned, I'll be glad to do it! Overall, going to THE ICE was such a fun experience! I loved how interactive it was and how much fun the audience was having. If I have the chance to, I'd love to watch more skating in Japan!

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
thanks for your report! no need to be sorry! glad you had fun!! were there dance battle? or they dont do it every show? did Misha win?

my opinions of the show from the videos
i loved the opening number! but i wonder who picked the short end of the stick and became clown haha
i loveeeee Satoko's new FS!!!! :love: i think it fits her style perfectly, light and continuous movements! i love the dress too, i think she will be among best dressed skaters this season :biggrin: and she looks mature and improvement in her performance is amazing, if this programs looks like this at early stage i cant imagine how it will be at the end of the season! and she has 2 different programs than she had last year, i cant wait to see her SP now!
i think Misha is genius, he knows his art and how to excite the audience and make them love him! i loved new EX, i will be surprised if he wont be invited to more ice shows in Japan
i enjoyed Patrick's EX and his performance (never thought i would honestly), it felt honest and i think that what draws auidence in, seems like staying away from competition really helped him, i hope he wont say anything to change my mind ;D
love Mao-Caro-Jo colloboration! it was timeless and endless!
and colloboration with Jeffrey was great too!!! Japan is like his second home haha

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thank you! It seems like everyone is having a great time.

How were Mao's jumps looking?

Mao didn't mess up on any of her jumps! A few looked under rotated, but the rest were all solid! It looks like she's in good shape!

There wasn't a dance battle because there wasn't any time! There were tons of skaters and with all the collaborations, there wasn't a dance battle. However, tomorrow there will be because a lot of the Japanese skaters won't be attending the show due to training conflicts. I look forward to reports of that!

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i would give anything to see Satoko in the dance battle :laugh:

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
I want to see Satoko dance battle too!! I'm sure she has a fun and crazy side to her :)

roma

On the Ice
pyri_mids, you sat on arena seats?! I envy you!!! I soooo wanted to watch Benedictus in arena level seats. The closer the better. :hopelessness: I wasn't able to get arena seats in Sapporo. Glad to know Mao's Ritz jumps were all good in Osaka. And yes, Satoko's FS is beautiful. She only fell once in Sapporo... looked landed but slipped a sec later. Did Mao speak in English in the interview? I was glad they interviewed Adam and Ashley in Sapporo... because I can understand them and not wait till someone post a translation. hehe.

Since most skaters skate a different program in the 2nd show I was hoping Mao will skate to her SP but unfortunately I think I expected too much. *wishful thinking*

mikaboo

Medalist
pyri_mids, thanks for sharing your experience with us! Sounds like it was so much fun.

From what I've seen on TV, I loved the Benedictus collaboration by the 3 ladies too. So breathtakingly beautiful. I wouldn't know who to look at if I saw it live.
Masquerade and Por una cabeza were exciting to watch. I think Por una cabeza with Jeff will get even better with time.
Puttin' on the Ritz is cute, but not much different to the last 2 exhibition programs. Mao seems to like Lori's style so who am I to complain. I like the idea of the costume but the fabric looks a bit heavy for skating. I'm sure it's light, but it looks heavy.

Satoko looks more mature and she even looks taller! Could she possibly be more than 150cm now? She's becoming more expressive and her skating is tidy as usual here, but I hear her Firedance SP is more passionate so I'm looking forward to that.

Patrick is from another planet with his skating. So smooth!

Taka seems to be doing well from reports, but of course he messes up a bit on the day the TV crew is there. But beautiful skating nonetheless. The music he and Kanako are skating to sound like they're preparing their fans for their upcoming retirements.

Misha is smart, he knows how to make the audience happy :biggrin:

I think Adelina and Maxim K will be joining the cast for tomorrow and the 29th and that's when they'll do the dance battles.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the cast to be broadcasted and uploaded on YT!

Last edited: