BBC Documentary Ice Stars Airing again UK | Golden Skate

BBC Documentary Ice Stars Airing again UK

bravesirrobin

Spectator
To be aired on the children's CBBC channel (aimed at 8 to 15 year olds), the series follows the ups and downs, both on and off the ice, of a range of young skaters skaters across all the disciplines at the National Ice Centre in Nottingham. The show follows skaters from the NIC's figure skating academy, ice dance academy, synchro academy, hockey academy and ice racing club. Filming took place over several months earlier this year and culminated in a gala.

The first episode of 10 is due to air on August 11th at 17:00 (BST) on CBBC. It should be available on iPlayer after broadcast.

The kids at the NIC are a great bunch. I'm sure you'll enjoy the show. I know I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

bravesirrobin

Spectator
More info

There's more information on this at the National Ice Centre web site

"http://www.national-ice-centre.com/news/#cbbcs_ice_stars_to_air_next_month"

bravesirrobin

Spectator
Trailer video is now available on YouTube

"https://youtu.be/2F1jzcasT9I"

or search YouTube for "Jess Glynne Don't Be So Hard On Yourself - Ice Stars version"

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Since it is only a few days until the first episode is broadcast, I thought it would be a good idea to bump this thread up! ;) :biggrin:

Just wanted to remind viewers in the UK and Ireland that the new CBBC series “Ice Stars” starts on Tuesday.

BBC

Tuesday 11[SUP]th[/SUP] August 2015
CBBC 17:00 – 17:30 BST “Ice Stars”

Unfortunately, the BBC channels DO NOT have time shift versions, and there is no sign of the programme being repeated in the near future. So, if you can’t watch it at the time of broadcast, make sure to remember to record it!

However, as bravesirrobin says, each programme of the series should be available on BBC iPlayer for 30 days after it is broadcast. But, we’ll have to wait until after the first episode is broadcast to find out for sure.

CBBC (i.e. Standard Definition) is available via:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 201 on Freeview
Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 701 on Virgin Media
Digital cable (Ireland only): Ch. 608 on UPC Ireland
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 613 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 48 (10.818V. MBaud 22,000. FEC 5/6).

CBBC HD is available via:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 204 on Freeview
Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 710 on Virgin Media
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 633 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 50 (10.847V. MBaud 23,000. FEC 2/3).

Here is the page for the show on the CBBC website (currently not much on it, as the series hasn't started yet):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/shows/ice-stars

And here is the original statement the BBC put out in March announcing the series:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2015/cbbc-ice-stars

Looking forward to seeing it!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
However, as bravesirrobin says, each programme of the series should be available on BBC iPlayer for 30 days after it is broadcast. But, we’ll have to wait until after the first episode is broadcast to find out for sure.

Thanks for detailed information. I'm interested in this program. Now I live in Japan. It seems that I may use the BBC iPlayer to listen to it. :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a wee reminder to let you know that it is just 1 hour until the first episode of Ice Stars is broadcast on the CBBC channel.

For more details on how to view see my last post above.

However, I am not sure what this particular episode is about. Because, the TV Guide on the BBC website and the on-screen EPG give very different descriptions!

The BBC website talks about Ice Hockey, while the EPG talks about Ice Dance!

BBC website:

"Episode 1: Nine-year-old Charlie attempts to impress the ice hockey coach."

On-screen EPG:

"1/10. Documentary series following young ice skaters. The ice-dancing girls are desperate for boy partners - there's only one in the squad, and he's already taken."

So, I don't know! :confused:

CaroLiza_fan

EDIT: By the way, there is now more content on the Ice Stars page on the CBBC website.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thanks for detailed information. I'm interested in this program. Now I live in Japan. It seems that I may use the BBC iPlayer to listen to it. :)

Firstly, some good news. Ice Stars IS on iPlayer!!! :cheer: Here is the link for the first episode:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0667qn8/ice-stars-episode-1

As I am in the UK, I don’t know if there is geo-blocking on iPlayer and, if there is, whether or not it can be got around.

Episode 1 - A New Boy In Town

I recorded the first episode of Ice Stars, and watched it about an hour after it was broadcast. And it turned out to be very interesting.

Rather than the episode being “about” either Ice Hockey or Ice Dancing (like the programme descriptions implied), there were actually 3 strands running through the episode. An Ice Dance strand, an Ice Hockey strand and a Synchro strand.

Normally I don’t like it when you have a programme which is jumping back and forth between different stories. It really drives me mad when you are getting into a story and then, all of a sudden, it ends abruptly as the producer decides to go to another story. And they don’t come back to the story you were enjoying until 5 or 10 minutes later.

I know they say children have short attention spans, and that long stories need to be broken up for that reason. But, it is still highly irritating.

But, the jumping in this programme was not like that. In this case, it worked. And I think that was because this programme was not made as a magazine programme like, say, Blue Peter. Instead, it was more like a soap opera, with different storylines.

After a brief introduction to what was coming up, they started into the first strand: Ice Dance. First, we were introduced to a partnership made up of Josh and Ellie (or “Jellie”, as they are known). And you couldn’t help but take an instant liking to them. They just seemed like the perfect partnership. They were enjoying skating together, and encouraging each other while at the same time winding each other up. Oh, and they were pretty good too!

Ellie is an absolute natural in front of the camera! If she doesn’t make it as a skater, she has definitely got a future as a TV reporter or presenter! ;)

Then we were introduced to 2 other girls called Chloe and Ella. They are ice dancers, but don’t have partners because there was a lack of boys at the rink. This was the main storyline. An Italian boy called Adriano was arriving, and he was going to have test skates with both of these girls, and then decide which one he wanted to partner.

Once the Ice Dance story was introduced to us, they moved onto the next strand. This time it was Ice Hockey, and we were introduced to 9 year old Charlie. The coach reckoned Charlie was very good for his age, and wanted him to join the Under 12 team. But, with being younger, it would mean that Charlie would be at a size disadvantage.

Next they went back to the Ice Dance story.

After that they introduced us to what would actually become the main strand within this episode: Synchronised Skating. The story was about the local team, the Icicles, and their preparations for the British Championships. They were the only entry in their level (from looking at the entries/results page there now, it was Junior), so they knew they were going to win. But, they needed to get over a particular score to qualify for Worlds.

Anyway, the story centred around a new member of the team. Now, as soon as I saw her, my instant reaction was: “I’ve seen you before!” And my next thought was: “Ice Rink On The Estate” (see this thread). But, then I heard her name, and realised that it wasn’t the girl I was thinking of. Nevertheless, she was VERY like her!

Anyway, this girl was named Afton. Which in itself has got me intrigued. “Afton” is not a very common name. In fact, I have only come across it once before. But I can’t remember where!!! And it is really annoying me!!!

But, the story was about how she was fitting into the team, and how she was coming back from injury. I won’t give away what happened, but I will make a few observations.

Firstly, I loved the dresses they were wearing in the practice. Really beautiful black dresses. But the costumes they were wearing in the competition were absolutely wild looking!!! (See the thumbnail the BBC have used for the episode on iPlayer). The top half of the dress was pink, while the bottom half was lime green. And it had blue trimming. Their eye lids were vertically half pink and half green. The ties holding up their hair buns were yellow. It just looked wild!

From doing some quick research, I subsequently found out that this wild costume was used in their Free Skate. So, there wasn’t any of the Short Programme shown in Ice Stars.

Secondly, boys but it was funny watching the girls sitting in the changing room with their eyes closed, visualising the routine in their heads!

At the end of the episode, we are given a preview of what is happening in the next episode. Firstly, we are told about a figure skater called Josh who is having problems with his jumps. This could get confusing, because it seems to be a different Josh to the one we were introduced to in the first episode!

Secondly, a new storyline in the series will start when we are introduced to a Speed Skater called Maddie. And finally, Adriano makes his choice!

Maybe it’s because it is a children’s programme. But what really struck me is that all the people featured in the programme were really likeable. And because of that, you really did want them all to do well.

After how good the first episode was, I am really looking forward to the rest of the series!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

tiffoc

Spectator
Hi, I am Ellie's from the shows mum. Just came across your lovely review and wanted to say thank you from Ellie and myself. Ellie is thrilled with your kind words as am I. Hope you enjoy the rest of the show

Tiffany

TMC

Record Breaker
Anyway, this girl was named Afton. Which in itself has got me intrigued. “Afton” is not a very common name. In fact, I have only come across it once before. But I can’t remember where!!! And it is really annoying me!!!

I don't know if this is where her name comes from, but "afton" means "evening" in Swedish :) It's a cool name in any case!

Thank you for a great recap! I'm trying to find a way to get around the geoblock & would appreciate any tips anyone might have :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Hi, I am Ellie's from the shows mum. Just came across your lovely review and wanted to say thank you from Ellie and myself. Ellie is thrilled with your kind words as am I. Hope you enjoy the rest of the show

Tiffany

Awww!!! You're welcome, Tiffany. But, you've got me all embarassed now! :eek::

You know, when I wrote my review of the first episode, I never would have imagined that some of the participants in the show would be reading it. But, I am so glad that it has happened, as they now know how well they are being received. I hope it will give them extra encouragement.

And I hope we get to see a lot more of Josh and Ellie during the series. They are just so charming!

All the best to them for the future!

And congratulations to YOU for raising such a charming little girl. (Apologies for using the same adjective again, but it is true! ;) :biggrin: )

Thank you so much for the reply

CaroLiza_fan

tiffoc

Spectator
Thank you that's very kind of you to say

They did a lot of filming with Ellie and Josh so hopefully there should be more to come. We are in the dark really as to what will be shown and won't.

Looking forward to watching the rest myself ☺

Tiffany

hamaguri

Record Breaker
@CaroLiza_fan, thanks!
It turned out the BBC iPlayer is for UK only. But I enjoyed your detailed report!:)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sorry, I forgot to post a reminder earlier.

The second episode of "Ice Stars" is starting on the CBBC Channel NOW!!!!

Details on how to receive CBBC are in this post.

Sorry again

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I don't know if this is where her name comes from, but "afton" means "evening" in Swedish :) It's a cool name in any case!

Thank you for a great recap! I'm trying to find a way to get around the geoblock & would appreciate any tips anyone might have :)

Cool! You learn something new every day!

Afton and the Icicles were not in the next episode.

Episode 2 - The Big Decision

We again had three strands, but this time it was Ice Dancing, Singles Skating and Speed Skating.

First up was Ice Dance, and Adriano had to make his choice over who he wanted to partner. Of the two, Chloe was the better skater and was more experienced. But she was the taller of the 2 girls, and we have all heard the comments on here about differences in height. Ella was smaller, and Adriano found that he got on better with her.

So, it does not take a genius to work out who Adriano and their coach, Sophie, both picked as their choice!

This is where it gets funny. We were then introduced to 2 older girls who were also without partners, Lauren and Kershia. The girl that was not chosen met up with them at a café. One of them suggested looking for a partner on the internet, and she produced a laptop and brought up Ice Partner Search. Except, because it’s the BBC where you are not allowed to advertise, the website name and all the logos were blanked out!

Well, they did a search using the criteria Chloe was looking, and they came up with one result. In Latvia. So, she was advised to go home and make a profile.

And that was where we moved onto the next strand: Singles Skating. And we met our second Josh of the series. As soon as he came on, I thought “I’ve definitely seen him before!” And, unlike with Afton, this time I was right! 😉

The storyline here was that he was getting ready for “a competition in Luxembourg”. Mmmm. I wonder what competition that could be. It wouldn’t be the Coupe de Printemps by any chance…?

It was so funny the lengths the BBC were going to so as to avoid mentioning the name of the competition. And for what reason?! Like, it is not as if “printemps” is the name of a sponsor or anything. It is the French word for the season the competition is held in! So please, BBC, tell me what is wrong with mentioning the “Spring Cup”?!

Unless it was to avoid us looking up the results and spoiling the story!

So, I looked up the entry list for the Coupe de Printemps, saw Josh’s full name, looked up his ISU Bio (carefully avoiding looking at the results column!), and quickly realised that it was at last season’s Volvo Open that I had seen him. (Now, if it was that competition that was being featured, I would have understood the BBC being so cryptic!)

But, it was later on in the story that this “competition in Luxembourg” was first mentioned. So, time to rewind.

As you know from the first episode, we have another Josh being featured in the series, in Ice Dance. So, I am surprised that the programme makers have not made any attempt to distinguish them. (Perhaps to avoid confusion they are going to make sure they are always in different episodes?) Since I know who the Singles Skater Josh is, I am going to refer to him from now on by his initial, Josh B. And it will soon become clear that there are multiple reasons for doing this! 😉

After we were introduced to Josh B, we were introduced to his story. And it is a very interesting one. Josh B and his family are from Lincoln, 30 miles away from Nottingham. But, because Josh B was going to Nottingham to train every day, they hardly ever had time together as a family. So, they took the plunge and moved to Nottingham. The parents changed jobs, and the children changed schools and had to make new friends. But they all said they were a lot happier now, as they got to see each other more. And this was especially the case with Josh B’s sister, Chloe B.

When we got to the rink, we were introduced to Josh B’s coach, Gurgen, who is described briefly by the narrator as an “ex-Olympic figure skater”. But we know him better as Armenian skater Gurgen Vardanjan, who went on to coach Hungarian skater Júlia Sebestyén.

We were also introduced to a friend of Josh B’s, a Ladies Singles skater called Kloe. (So, that’s the third girl with the same name in one episode. Thank goodness this one spells her name differently!) She is also coached by Gurgen, and Josh B says that having trained together for years, they drive each other on. I have no idea where Kloe is from, but she has a beautiful accent!

After showing Josh B practicing, we moved onto the main strand for the episode. Speed skating with a girl called Maddy. I have no interest whatsoever in speed skating (it’s just going round and round in circles!), but I found Maddy’s story VERY interesting.

Basically, she had to stop skating for 6 months because she had developed serious breathing difficulties. The narrator told us that it is a very common condition that happens to speed skaters that push too hard too young. Maddy’s coach, Mandy, then elaborated, telling us that 2 of her skaters had developed that condition this year, Maddy and Ben. She explained what happens is that the skater runs out of breath, runs out of energy, gets dizzy and ends up having a panic attack.

Maddy explained that because this is happening, she has come to associate it with skating. And even though she loves skating, it is putting her off.

Just like the Icicles in the first episode, Maddy has a competition coming up where she needs to get below a specific time to qualify for international events. So, she decides to try a vegetarian diet to see if that will help. Oh, it was so entertaining watching her attempt to cook! That said, I know fine well that if it was me, I would be making the same mistakes!

We then return to Josh B, and he is talking about his routine. A thing that surprised me is that he gets out of school early every day (14:15) to go to training. Having heard stories about how strict schools in England are on going on holidays during term time, and on how they threaten parents if their child misses so many days during a year, I thought they would not be as accommodating as this.

He was also talking about how he is doing his GCSE’s this year, and that the amount of schoolwork is increasing. And that between this and training, it means he has no social life. He does try to be philosophical about it, saying that he sees his friends at school every day anyway, but then admits that he sees things on Facebook (Shock! Horror! The BBC didn’t edit out the reference to Facebook!) that his friends have been doing, and wishes he was there too.

A week before the “competition in Luxembourg”, Josh B visits a physiotherapist, who finds an injury on his ankle. He works out that it has formed because Josh B has increased his training in the lead up to the competition, and is getting irritated when Josh B is putting his skates on, and doing his “more extreme” moves.

Not what you want to hear in the week leading to a competition. But, Kloe is in a bad situation too. She has injured her foot, and it was hurting so much when she went to training on the Monday that she had to be sent home. So, when we catch up with her, she is resting with an ice pack on her foot. But, she is determined to be back training the following day!

We then return to Maddy, and it is competition day. Since it is a fundamental part of the subsequent story, I have to mention what happened. So, if you don’t want to know, don’t highlight the box!

Maddy had problems with her breathing again, on the last lap. Although she did manage to finish the race, she was 2 seconds outside the time required.

So, realising that that was essentially her season over, Maddy decided to approach things differently in future. She still enjoys skating, but because this happens when she pushes herself, she is not enjoying the competing. So, she has decided to branch out. She wants to continue the training, as she enjoys that, but also wants to do other things in her life, such as going out with her friends more. So, we see her and a friend getting ready for a rock concert.

Oh, did I forget to mention? Maddy is a Goth!!! :rock:

What I have just discussed about Maddy was actually in 2 different segments. In between these was a segment about Chloe (the Ice Dancer). She was back looking at Ice Partner Search, but this time with her Mum. And she put in what she was looking, and they got a massive shock when the results came up… there were no boys that fitted the criteria!

So, she decided to set up a profile for herself, in the hope that they would find her. We saw her going through the process of doing it (still with the website logo blanked out!), and working out what she wanted and what to say about herself. And she was being very sensible about it. I know that when I was that age, I couldn’t have put something like that together!

We haven’t seen much of Chloe on the ice so far. But if she is anything like the way she is when off the ice, then she has what it takes to do well in this sport. So, I really hope Chloe does find a partner, and that he has the same attitude that she does. Because that would be a very promising partnership.

Next time: we return to Ice Hockey, but this time with an older team (U-16). We meet a younger Ladies skater caller Keira and, judging by the clip, it looks like her Dad is having a go! :eek:

Oh, and “Jellie” return!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Why, oh why it's geoblocked :cry: The show sounds really interesting. I really like your reports, CaroLiza_fan :) Keep writing them, please!

TMC

Record Breaker
Thank you SO much for the recaps, almost as good as seeing the show :) I love Maddy already :rock:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I finally got around to watching part 1. I really enjoyed it! I thought it was a perfect introduction to ice sports and hopefully has inspired a few kids to get involved or go from recreational skating to testing or teams.

Everyone was very likeable, as CaroLiza_fan said. I loved Charlie, the ice hockey player, and his enthusiasm for hockey. Loved his attitude about nutrition and his great cooking. That prawn stir fry looked tasty! I also loved the ice dance couple Josh and Ellie and their wonderful sibling-like relationship. Really cute pair. And I felt so sorry for the two girls Ella and Chloe and the fact that Adriano can only choose one of them! The synchro team were really great and I liked the attitude of the captain and how she looked after her team mates. The relative new girl Afton was very sweet and very determined. Lovely to see.

I'm looking forward to part 2. Might try and watch it later today so that I'm caught up.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I finally got around to watching part 1. I really enjoyed it! I thought it was a perfect introduction to ice sports and hopefully has inspired a few kids to get involved or go from recreational skating to testing or teams.

Everyone was very likeable, as CaroLiza_fan said. I loved Charlie, the ice hockey player, and his enthusiasm for hockey. Loved his attitude about nutrition and his great cooking. That prawn stir fry looked tasty! I also loved the ice dance couple Josh and Ellie and their wonderful sibling-like relationship. Really cute pair. And I felt so sorry for the two girls Ella and Chloe and the fact that Adriano can only choose one of them! The synchro team were really great and I loved the attitude of the captain and how she looked after her team mates. The relative new girl Afton was very sweet and very determined. Lovely to see.

I'm looking forward to part 2. Might try and watch it later today so that I'm caught up.

Ah, thank you!!! Glad to hear that another GS member enjoyed episode 1, and agrees that the skaters featured are so likable!

I should have added in my review of episode 2 that that particular trend continues! ;) :biggrin:

Also, your comment made me realise I had forgotten to post the iPlayer link for episode 2. :eek:: So, here it is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0676lr9/ice-stars-2-the-big-decision

Hope you enjoy it!

(Has anybody overseas had any joy in getting around the geo-blocking yet?)

CaroLiza_fan