2020 Youth Olympics and 2022 Olympics Host Cities Announced | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2020 Youth Olympics and 2022 Olympics Host Cities Announced

noidont

Final Flight
It's quite clear Beijing does not even want to host it this time. They put in a bid only to test the water for the future. How come 44 people do not trust KAZ? I've never been to that area but from what I've seen it's perfect for winter sports. There must be some dodgy accounting going on in the KAZ bid that set people off.

This is sad. No one wants to host an Olympics anymore.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Disappointing. Was really wanting Almaty.

Needs to be Hamburg 2024 and Anchorage 2026, next...

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I wanted Almaty to win. Beijing is not good for winter sports. And time zones are terrible for me: 2016, 2018, 2020, 2022...none of the Olympics in the Europe I will live like a hamster, sleeping during the day and watching in the night :D

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Meanwhile the US will be going on over 20 years without a Olympic games by 2022 while East Asia will be getting 3 Olympics in a row. :shrug: Asia should not get another Olympic Games for a long time after 2022.

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Maybe the IOC is worried about the 75 year-old Kazakh PM who has been "democratically" elected since 1990 and the state his country would be in should be not be in power for whatever reason in 11 years.

Almaty's bid looked best and would be sure to win if it were held in a place other than Kazakhstan. The IOC made the right decision (lesser of two evils). Almaty does have many venues built, but not the infrastructure to host the WOG which is the most expensive part of hosting any OL. The only real plus of Almaty is that it has real snow (which is obviously important in a WOG, lol), but the pollution is a notch below Beijing, human rights violations on par with Beijing, one of the most corrupt countries according to the corruption perceptions index, and is a downright dictatorship as opposed to China. Tourists are also most likely to go somewhere familiar.

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Meanwhile the US will be going on over 20 years without a Olympic games by 2022 while East Asia will be getting 3 Olympics in a row. :shrug: Asia should not get another Olympic Games for a long time after 2022.

Well that's that on the US for not bidding on the Olympics, this time around people really shouldn't have given the Olympics to another country in Asia but there was no choice since Oslo pulled out. Either way the USOC seems to be gunning a for Summer Olympics, not Winter, they have a good chance in 2024 if they try

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I am kinda sad, was rooting for Almaty. Beijing has already hosted Summer olympics and the air pollution never gets better...
Also, they may also use some short-term(non-sustainable) plan to gather resources and solve some urgent problems only for this one City at the cost of a whole country.
Almaty is a beautiful city for winter sports, I certainly will not visit a place just for its big name. Almaty's win will bring attention to lesser known countries and bring Olympics spirits and winter sports to those country and related region as well.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Too bad the Olympic Games are driven by some unnecessary human need to be bigger and better every single time. It's like it's being run by ivy leaugue executives who see everything in quarterly reports :rolleye:

This might be a blessing in disguise for Almaty. I've heard it's a gorgeous place. A true hidden treasure.

Anyway....Zijun Li seems to be happy about the pick!
https://instagram.com/p/5y-qthTXy3/

Last edited:

JayW

Final Flight
Ok, let's start the China-bashing! What else, human right, one child policy, totalitarian, Falungong, free tibet, free uyghur, taiwan independence, blood factory...

charmblade

Final Flight
Well that's that on the US for not bidding on the Olympics, this time around people really shouldn't have given the Olympics to another country in Asia but there was no choice since Oslo pulled out. Either way the USOC seems to be gunning a for Summer Olympics, not Winter, they have a good chance in 2024 if they try

It will be interesting to see if they actually put in a 2024 bid now that Boston has backed out. I guess LA is in talks to maybe pick up the bid but they don't seem to have a lot of time to make a decision on it.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just to let you know that I have added the voting results to the Original Post.

It was a landslide victory for the 2020 Youth Olympics (71 Lausanne, 10 Brașov), but much closer for the 2022 Olympics (44 Beijing, 40 Almaty).

Why the different totals? (81 votes for 2020 Youth Olympics, 84 votes for 2022 Olympics)

I know the quote that os168 put in their comment said there was one abstention in the 2022 Olympic vote, but that makes the difference even bigger! :eek:

Does this mean there was as many as 4 abstentions in the 2020 Youth Olympic vote. And if so, why???!!! :confused:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I did not follow the Olympics bidding nor even know which cities were in the running. However, upon the news of Beijing hosting 2022 Winter Olympics, I am very pleased because it will be very good for winter sports to be popularized in China, including, of course, figure skating.

Winter sports have always been limited to a few countries for two main reasons, the requirements of winter and of money. Winter sports are generally very expansive, in contrast to some summer sports. Some of the best runners are from poor nations where they train without shoes or tracks. Decades ago, China was a poor participant in the Olympics. But they have been able to produce top athletes in the sports they decide to invest in. It shook the sports world how fast they produced the world's best divers. In a few years from just having three swimming pools in the country to World Champion divers! Winter sports are quite new in China so I was surprised to see the Chinese competing quite well in recent Olympics. Asians have been doing very well in speed skating, in which the athletes just skate round and round the tracks in a rink. But outdoor winter sports require costly facility as well as expensive equipment and training. China is in a financial position to develop and expand winter sports. Hosting a Winter Olympics will be a fast track to popularize them in this populous nation and will be very good for the sports. Of course, personally, I would love to see figure skating spread from just one province in China. Imagine the talents we can expect to see and enjoy!

charmblade

Final Flight
I vote for DC2024

It's definitely exciting to think about the Olympics in your city. I was originally really looking forward to a potential Olympics in Boston but there were just too many issues with money and infrastructure. And the Boston 2024 organizing committee was a shady bunch. Hopefully whatever city the US might actually put forward in a formal bid will be better able to support the OG and the people of the city will be supportive as well.

It's definitely a good example of how difficult it is these days to find a good Olympic host city. The Olympics have gotten a little out of control with the amount of money and work required to host them, so I'd really like to see cities not try and outdo each other and top the last host city each time. You can tone things down and still have a great event that won't wreck your economy.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
It will be interesting to see if they actually put in a 2024 bid now that Boston has backed out. I guess LA is in talks to maybe pick up the bid but they don't seem to have a lot of time to make a decision on it.

I think there's like 3 cities that are thinking about bidding from the US; LA, SF and DC. They're all decent choices. Toronto is also thinking of bidding after a decent Pan Am Games but I don't know if they have time. A lot of people here want it because it means that the city can get funding to improve some infrastructure that desperately needs it (mainly our horrendously awful transit system) but also it's expensive so I'm on the fence.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's definitely exciting to think about the Olympics in your city. I was originally really looking forward to a potential Olympics in Boston but there were just too many issues with money and infrastructure. And the Boston 2024 organizing committee was a shady bunch. Hopefully whatever city the US might actually put forward in a formal bid will be better able to support the OG and the people of the city will be supportive as well.

It's definitely a good example of how difficult it is these days to find a good Olympic host city. The Olympics have gotten a little out of control with the amount of money and work required to host them, so I'd really like to see cities not try and outdo each other and top the last host city each time. You can tone things down and still have a great event that won't wreck your economy.

Like it could expand out to Maryland and Virginia. And there's the Excel arena/stadium, the Verizon Center, Nationals Park, FedEx Field, RFK Stadium, and the Eagle Bank Arena. Plus the Potomac River would be great for water sports that aren't swimming or diving. All that needs to be built is 2 more venues an an Olympic village and BOOM. Money saved. Though I'm not sure where the Nats would play during a 2 week hiatus...LOL. Maybe Nats Park wouldn't be needed. And the Verizon Center isn't used for sporting events during August.

Though traffic would be heck and work might be closed down.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sending more money to Washington DC is never a good idea :biggrin:

I love that city and love visiting friends in the great Seven Corners area (ooh that orange line) but I'd be lying if I didn't say how nervous I was to send money to that city. There are sharks in the water.

owl

On the Ice
I think there's like 3 cities that are thinking about bidding from the US; LA, SF and DC. They're all decent choices. Toronto is also thinking of bidding after a decent Pan Am Games but I don't know if they have time. A lot of people here want it because it means that the city can get funding to improve some infrastructure that desperately needs it (mainly our horrendously awful transit system) but also it's expensive so I'm on the fence.

I looked at some articles online, and apparently people are also considering an LA-SF joint bid. I suppose that would lower the costs for each city, but there's also the problem of transportation between the two cities, which are several hours apart by car.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sending more money to Washington DC is never a good idea :biggrin:

I love that city and love visiting friends in the great Seven Corners area (ooh that orange line) but I'd be lying if I didn't say how nervous I was to send money to that city. There are sharks in the water.

OMG! I live like a few minutes away from Seven Corners! And I go there for getting my hair done, my nails done, and buying Wendy's. And some craft stuff. And the old building where I went to the pediatrician before it moved to a new building in 2010 was in Seven Corners. And the pharmacy we always go to is still in the old building. I've been there so many times....well a lot of times I had to go through it to go to some places.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Like it could expand out to Maryland and Virginia. And there's the Excel arena/stadium, the Verizon Center, Nationals Park, FedEx Field, RFK Stadium, and the Eagle Bank Arena. Plus the Potomac River would be great for water sports that aren't swimming or diving. All that needs to be built is 2 more venues an an Olympic village and BOOM. Money saved. Though I'm not sure where the Nats would play during a 2 week hiatus...LOL. Maybe Nats Park wouldn't be needed. And the Verizon Center isn't used for sporting events during August.

Though traffic would be heck and work might be closed down.

I like this idea, fully utilize old venus and improve the infrastructure for the people. I hope Beijing can use or modify whatever venues they already built for Summer olympics and please do not build everything from scratch again.