True confessions of a skating kind | Page 5 | Golden Skate

True confessions of a skating kind

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
1. I can name all of the Ladies National, World and Olympic Medalists since the 70s....PATHETIC! But, I think that is the history teacher in me coming out.

2. After waking up to the realization that skating was the greatest sport in the world in 1994, I became super obsessed. I was 14 and learned to do several moves on my rollerblades in my driveway!

3. Ice dancing just doesn't excite me (although at 04 Worlds I started to feel a slight tingle).

4. I thought Woetzl & Steuer were better than B&S at the 1998 Olympics (don't hurt me!).

Well, those are all of the shocking revelations I can think of at this point.

Piel,
ITA with almost everything in your first list, especially the most important part, "I also hate the circus, clowns, and magic shows." Except I make exceptions for certain Cirque du Soleil shows, like "Varikai"--some I like, some I don't. I also like Bill Irwin, despite his being an unrepentant clown; actor David Strathairn, who trained at the Barnum and Bailey Clown School but doesn't flaunt it; and Juliette Binoche, who also started out as a clown. Wonder if she learned those moves in "Damage" in clown schol?

--The diarhea commercial when the two people at the record store start dancing with each other while listening on headphones to latin music is gross.

--I hope a skater does an exhibition piece to the Applebee's commercial song just because I hate it so much.

--I think Sale & Pelletier are icky, but they do great lifts.

--Without a MiraKle, SOI is dead within the next two years.

--I liked Sasha Cohen better when she had big muscles and said whatever she felt like saying.

--Somebody already said this, but I also make exception for young hot French male skaters, even though I'm old enough to be their mother.

--I still think Todd Eldredge is boring even though he was nice enough to give me an autograph for my sister, who loves him.

--If they had butt skates, I'd be World and Olympic champion.

Rgirl

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
--The diarhea commercial when the two people at the record store start dancing with each other while listening on headphones to latin music is gross.

I cannot believe there is enough money in the world to pay someone to do that?

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Piel said:
I cannot believe there is enough money in the world to pay someone to do that?

Edited: missread what you wrote, Piel. Said I'd do it for enough $, but I'm not paying anyone.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
dfj said:
That's what I understand too. She wrote the Petition, got everyone to sign it and then (this was televised) presented it. Needless to say, none of those dancers was ever shown the decency of a response.

Nope, this is incorrect. Go back and read thvudragon's post, that's what happened. Albena Denkova is the face everyone relates to the petition because her part was to present it and that's what the public saw. Many skaters participated in different ways but they did so "backstage" so nobody knows, such as Naomi Lang who was one of the skaters who wrote the protest.

Lotta

On the Ice
More confessions.

1. I do not like Wuss *cough* Weiss. But I look forward to his exhibitions. His are really entertaining except the unzipping of vests makes him look like as if he's saying he's the hottest sonofab---h in the world. :rolleye:

2. I'm starting to get bored by Sale and Pelletier. Yeah they were really good at the Olys but I'm like... maybe it's their programs. It's just TOO cutesy patootie lovey dovey mushy.

3. I just wish pair skaters would stop skating to dumb mushy gushy love songs and skate to a break up song ("The Trouble With Love" by Kelly Clarkson is a good one). That would be cooler. They can skate apart and the girl can skate off in the end with the guy all heartbroken and stuff.

4. Why is it that the stereotypical "young" teenage skater is such a goody two shoes?! I mean, it's not a crime to be that. It's like they're all so "I do my homework every day and I get straight A's and I love my family and I play an instrument and I wanna go to Harvard and become a doctor and someday I wanna inspire more little girls to skate TEE HEE!!!" I mean... ew. C'mon, it's just so fake to me. Someday I wanna see a teenage girl skater be all like "YO, HOLLA BACK FROM THE NEW YORK CITY STREETS TO MAH DAWGS AND MAH GIRLS YO BABY BOY YOU LIKE THIS SWEET THANG YOU WANNA SPANK??!!" *LMAO* :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5. Belbin and Agosto are good but there are just better skaters out there I am so sorry. Their personalities, however, are really cool.

6. I look at candid pix of skaters and I notice.... just like in high school, there are stereotyped cliques, like the preppies and the quiet ones and the geeks. I was looking at the COI pix from sashacohen.com and, if you wanna stereotype, her and her crew (Johnny, Tanith, Ben, Tim, Nicole, Jenny) can be put into the "preppy" category. I swear, they're like the type of skaters who are all "Shopping is SOOO fun like oh my gosh I like going to the mall to see this really hot guy and all!!!"

Lynn226

On the Ice
Lotta said:
4. Why is it that the stereotypical "young" teenage skater is such a goody two shoes?! I mean, it's not a crime to be that. It's like they're all so "I do my homework every day and I get straight A's and I love my family and I play an instrument and I wanna go to Harvard and become a doctor and someday I wanna inspire more little girls to skate TEE HEE!!!" I mean... ew. C'mon, it's just so fake to me. Someday I wanna see a teenage girl skater be all like "YO, HOLLA BACK FROM THE NEW YORK CITY STREETS TO MAH DAWGS AND MAH GIRLS YO BABY BOY YOU LIKE THIS SWEET THANG YOU WANNA SPANK??!!" *LMAO* :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That sure give one of those blue-haired lady types at the USFS (or anywhere, for that matter) a heart attack. :laugh:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
One thing I really dislike is when young ones come on as if they know everything and really show their immaturity.
Also, when they don't use real words. Using U instead of you, etc.

Lotta

On the Ice
That sure give one of those blue-haired lady types at the USFS (or anywhere, for that matter) a heart attack. :laugh:

Yikes! But still, yo, I'm just waiting for an "in-your-face" teenage skater. Not a fake goody two shoes.

when they don't use real words. Using U instead of you, etc.

u meen lyk dis? im young lyk dem also but i dont do dis. it makes harder reading 4 mee. plus i tink im bout 2 make an angry xanga entree soon bout dis kind of ryting. ill go do dat now. :D

Cassie

Rinkside
Lotta said:
2. I'm starting to get bored by Sale and Pelletier. Yeah they were really good at the Olys but I'm like... maybe it's their programs. It's just TOO cutesy patootie lovey dovey mushy.

[/B]

The wording of that made me laugh to the point that diet coke almost came out of my nose. Im a huge S/P fan - so thats a huge compliment to you, Lotta.

Cassie

berthes ghost

Final Flight
1. I've been living abroad for some years now, so 90% of what posters go on and on and on about on the web I can't follow. I mean, I've heard Scott and Sandra commentate before, so it's no surprise to learn that they were annoying in SLC, but were they really more irriating than the posters who are still harping on it 2 and a half years later? Let it go!
2. I'm starting to get suspicious that more time from my life has been wasted reading people complain about "having" to watch MK stroll on the beach or Sasha bake cookies, then if I had actually seen those peices. Personally, I love a good (bad) fluff piece. I remember one from the late 90s that was a throw back to 79 worlds. Linda Frattianne in a bunny fur coat and french twist hairdoo offering some little Chinese kid a toosie roll pop! I laughed my arse off. And nothing can beat 95 worlds: "It's just Surya....and her mother....against the world.". :laugh:
3. I loved the Simpson's quote about "the information super highway making it possible for us all to know what some nerd thought about Star Trek." :laugh: It's so true in respect to FS boards.

taf2002

Rinkside
I loved both B&S & S&P before SLC but now I would not voluntarily ever watch either of them again. At the time I thought they were trying but IMO they all acted badly including Mokavina. Jamie was and is the worst-talk about someone needing her mouth taped shut!

Is Michael Weiss a Jekelle/Hyde? How can anyone be so obnoxious in interviews & so likable and charming in person? And BTW Mike, disco & break dancing are so OVER-all of your exhibitions are alike, therefore my potty break, and also, I never again want to see that one hair on your chest-keep your shirt on.

That also goes double for Phillippe-his chest is soooo unattractive.

I hate it when skaters stop skating and go into the audience for any reason-except Plushy when he did it in that exhibition where he wore the tiny gold Speedo (can't remember the name of that program). That was hysterical.

I don't find Plushy's looks even remotely attractive-he seems to have a cute personality but good-looking? no

I didn't agree with C&S's bronze in 02 Worlds, primarily because she pushes with her toepicks. That drives me crazy. I started skating lessons as an adult after many years of not skating. I was able to break that habit after 5 lessons. What's her excuse?

I would never have placed Barbara F-P & Twofeet-zio on ANY podium esp the one at SLC. However, I do like to look at him!

Tim G should have beat Plushy at 03 Worlds. I'm not even going to say IMO, I was there and it was obvious (to me anyway).

I hate smaltzy touches to skating programs-Sarah H laying flowers on the ice at The Tribute show for example, or using patriotic music to milk applause for yourself or to get people to stand up. Also with very few exceptions I hate the skater's voice being added to the music tape to deliver some message. Exception: Yuka Sato saying "that's fun" at the end of one of her pro programs. I found that cute.

hongligl

Final Flight
Dee4707 said:
I never liked Sale & Pelletier after the SLC fiasco. Lost a lot of respect for them because of their crying and then when they were going to receive the gold, they were so friendly with Elena & Anton. I always thought Jamie ran into Anton.

I love Shen & Zhao.

Dee

wow, that's something I always want to say but could never word it. I have exactly the same feeling about that "accident" and I feel so reluctant to watch S/P, if at all. Poor B/S. The worst thing is that Sale even "kidding" afterward that a hockey team member said that "she would be good enough to be a hockey player, "something like that, I paraphrased it.

I loved B/S, but Shen/Zhao is the best.

diamondqueen

On the Ice
True Confessions of skating

I like Sarah Hughes and glad she is happy with her life. I miss her and want her back in the skating world.

I don't like Sasha Cohen or Tara Lipinski. They are good skaters but they are not to nice.

I really don't like Scott Hamilton or his commentating. He needs to be off the mike and and doing something else.

I love Shen/Zhao, they are one of the greates pairs I have ever seen.

I like Michael Weiss.

I am starting to like Ice Dancing again.

I love Michelle Kwan, Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill and Brian Boitano. They remain my favorite skaters.

I love Dick Button, he has taught me a lot about skating.

diamond:love:

76olympics

On the Ice
Joining in!

Here I go!:

* I LOVE skating books and autobios-have read "My Sergei" more times than I can count.

* I can like a performance very much without being a fan of the skater-i.e. Lipinski at Nagano.

* I have never seen live skating-had a ticket once to Champions on Ice but couldn't go due to sick baby.

* I think Toller Cranston is very witty-though sometimes sad.

* Dick Button can be maddening-but he is the only commentator I really like (besides Suzie Wynn). I like Scott H. as a skater-but he does not shine in the commentator's chair. Peter Carruthers and Rosalyn Sumners need to be " muted."

* Skating is the only sport that I watch-like a "real girl" (ducking the tomatoes being thrown!)

* I didn't like Tonya Harding or her skating BEFORE the whack.

* I like Brian Boitano's serious programs-and Scott H's Light programs--not the out of character ones!

* I am always on the look-out for skating t-shirts.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
1. I have a scrapbook of clippings and/or results from every major competition since the '80 Nationals. It is the first thing I would save in a fire!

2. I always thought that Tara Lipinksi became OGM by a lot of luck and a push from the USFSA; I'm also convinced that if anyone except Lipinski had taken third at the 96 Nats, Bobek would have been put on the World team.

3. Never was much of an Oksana Bauil fan either -- I thought most of her mystique had to do with her being a Precious Little Ukrainian Girl with a Sad Story -- never saw much in her movement that was THAT much more spectacular than any other artistic oriented skater of the time. It did help her to come along at rather a strange, transition time in the sport.

4. I am convinced that the fix was in regarding Gritshuk & Platov; how can one team make THAT many mistakes and still be undefeated for 4 years? Especially given all the fine competition that they skated against.

5. ITA agree with whoever said that Woetzel & Steuer should have finished ahead of Bereznaja & Siharulidze at Nagano -- given the type of mistakes that B & S made, there was no way they were better than W & S on that night. (That whole incident was the only time I came thisclose to turning the TV off and not watching the rest; I was already annoyed over the SP placings and once they made it obvious that no matter what Ina & Dungjien did they wouldn't make the podium, that was about it.)

6. I thought Michael Weiss was one of the most interesting skaters out there -- until his wife starting doing his choreography.

7. I thought Maria Butrskaya should have been the world bronze medallist 2 years in a row before she actually was -- and once she finally was, she should have won the silver. She, IMO, never got enough credit for the way she moved so beautifully across the ice (stiff landing leg notwithstanding).

8. I never had much sympathy for Torvill & Dean in Lillehammer -- I actually thought it was KARMA that they got "cheated" out of the gold for "breaking rules", given all the rules they broke and got away with the first time out. When T & D won in Sarajevo, Blumberg & Seibert did a BRILLIANT T & D like program and got knocked down to 4th for essentially doing the same stuff that T & D were doing, only there was a major double standard going on at the time. Plus I never wanted the pros to come back, anyway.

9. I'm still heartbroken that Lisa Ervin was never able to realize her potential.

10. I think Tracy Wilson is the best skating commentator out there; I have learned so much about ice dancing from her commentary and I wish ABC would hire her over Susie Wynne.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Finally, someone agrees with me about Woetzl & Steuer's placement in Nagano! LOL. I was stunned when B&S were awarded the silver medal. They are lovely and were then, but W&S were a solid team and made only minor errors. They should have been the Olympic silver medalists that year. I also agree that Butirskaya should have won the silver at the 1998 Worlds.

thvudragon

On the Ice
BronzeisGolden said:
Finally, someone agrees with me about Woetzl & Steuer's placement in Nagano! LOL. I was stunned when B&S were awarded the silver medal. They are lovely and were then, but W&S were a solid team and made only minor errors. They should have been the Olympic silver medalists that year.
But W&S's program was also much easier than B&S's. They program was just a nice program, devoid of choreography and transitions. B&S were the most polished pair by far. Even the champs, K&D, couldn't come close in that aspect.

TV