Loosemore's Take on Skill v. Presentation | Golden Skate

Loosemore's Take on Skill v. Presentation

J

Joesitz

Loosemore's Take on Skill v. Presentation

Check out the new GS Newsletter.

It appears that Skill will count soooo much more than presentation. That means to me, a gold medal will be won by the skater who is the most jump wacky. The artistic side will be sacrificed for the technical. So be it - more broken bones.

Joe

N

Norlite1

Re: Loosemore's Take on Skill v. Presentation

And once again, Joe Inman tries to correct Ms. Loosemore's misinterpretations.

www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5666

Ms. Loosemore's:

www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/articles/cop-presentation.shtml

I for one, was a little dismayed that Sandra would attempt to do such an indepth analysis of this magitude without using actual judging materials. The material from both the USFSA and SC she used are published on-line to give fans the most <strong>basic</strong> understanding of how judging works. I would have hoped that if she wanted to truly understand what goes into judging skills and presentation, she would have borrowed a few binders of actual current judging materials from qualified judges.

T

thvudragon

Much of Joe Inman's takes are what he "thinks" should constitute the presentation mark, not what actualy does. Ms. Loosemore is right to say that currently, things like stroking, transitions, linking elements, etc are judged in the technical mark. She's saying that the CoP will drasticly alter the balance between the technical mark and presentation mark. of the 5 catagories that make up the presentation mark, 2 are in fact technical.

Although I respect Mr. Inman's opions, I feel his reasoning is very bias. This should also be considered as Ms Loosemore is known to be on the WSF side. Despite this, I feel Ms. Loosemore presents facts that are right on all accounts, even though she may not be presenting both sides. Mr Inman does this as well, but doesn't always bring facts to the table, rather, his own opinion of what the facts should be.

TV

N

Norlite1

Since Mr. Inman, ISU Championship level judge, is now conducting seminars to other ISU Championship levels judges, and coaches, choreographers on how to interpret the presentation mark using the COP system, I would think that his "opinion" carries a little weight.

Yes, Ms. Loosemore might have a different opinion, as do other fans like herself, and they probably have merit, but in the end, anyone who would like have an idea on how the COP will play out next year, should carefully read Joe's posts.

P

Ptichka

I find Loosemore's article veryb heavily biased. She looks for all the faults in the new system, without really comparing it to what we have now. Because what we have now is basically judges marking the programs any which way they want. Certainly, Losemore is making some excellent points. But specifically on the presentation question, I agree with Inman. Over the years, I feel that "presentation" has come to mean which program which judge likes mores. Take SLC pairs example. I bet that not one of those judges actually analyzed the 5 aspects of presentation mark; I am sure they gave the higher mark to the program they liked best (except for those who marked according to their federations' wishes). I am not saying the new system will fix all problems. However, I feel it is a system that can be finetuned over the years, whereas the old system just gave judges too much leaway.

L

Ladskater

Excuse my ignorance, but who the heck is Sandra Loosemore? I prefer to wait for Debbie Wilkes "take" - she was a Canadian and World pairs champion.

Ladskater