How important is costuming? | Page 11 | Golden Skate

How important is costuming?

Amei

Record Breaker
Speaking of Costuming. What do you think of skaters who skate with their hair down? I just watched an interview with Kaetlyn Osmond and she looks like different person with her hair down. I guess it depends on the music selection but, personally, I'd rather a skater wear their hair up stylishly than down and wild. Even if a skater were performing to Janice Joplin, I'd rather the "wild feel" of the music come from the costuming, make up, and facial expression, rather than a skater whipping and flipping their hair. A situation I often encountered when I was judging

I prefer the skater's hair to be up - look at Lipnitskaia's last 2 exhibition programs, this year and last year, the hair down was pretty distracting especially when she went to spin or jump, I would not want to see that in competition.

Sheena

Rinkside
One pet irk for me is when the effort to match the costume to the music is overly obvious. I do like when there is a connection but subtlety is most welcome. Worst offenders for me are the flame costumes for Firebird, the green Oirish costume for Riverdance, the all blue garment for Rhapsody in Blue, feathery dresses for Swan Lake and the samey-samey POTO costumes. I guess you could call them warhorse costumes! I loved Gilles and Poirier's Hitchcock costumes - completely matched the mood and feeling of the theme without having to scream it out loud!

I saw Riverdance three times & I cannot recall a single green costume in it!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We saw the original Riverdance, too, and there was definitely plenty of green!

Last edited:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
No green in Riverdance?!?!?! :shocked:
There was sure lots of green in the days of Flately and Butler. But I guess my original point referred to the costumes that skaters wear that are greener than anything that ever appeared in Riverdance (notable examples being Bourne and Kraatz and Jason Brown!). And there's so much more to the scope of beautiful Irish themed music than pieces from this show, I'd love to hear and see different Irish themes in skating!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
The green color of the Irish. Ireland is a green island. What is the problem with the green costume?

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Honestly, it depends mostly on the skater. I've had costumes for my programs that are beautiful, but i absolutely felt uncomfortable in. Then there were some that my fellow adult skaters deemed to simple (needs more sparkle, they'd say), but felt natural to me.

On that note, I really love the simpler is better trend that the men have taken lately. A lot of the costumes I'm seeing (especially in dance) trend toward simple.

Mattieu

Medalist
Honestly, it depends mostly on the skater. I've had costumes for my programs that are beautiful, but i absolutely felt uncomfortable in. Then there were some that my fellow adult skaters deemed to simple (needs more sparkle, they'd say), but felt natural to me.

On that note, I really love the simpler is better trend that the men have taken lately. A lot of the costumes I'm seeing (especially in dance) trend toward simple.

Yes, let the skating speak for itself without the distraction of all that sparkle! I love simple costumes.

musicfan80

Medalist

Yes, let the skating speak for itself without the distraction of all that sparkle! I love simple costumes.

Isn't another concern how the costume looks on the ice itself and under the bright lights? Would that be another reason why some fabrics just don't work and some kinds to sparkle is so risky to have on a costume?

Sheena

Rinkside
I saw Riverdance three times & I cannot recall a single green costume in it!

Sorry, I apologise to all. I had meant no green as in lyverbird's description of "green Oirish Costume for Riverdance" (should have specified this at the time). Thanks for posting photos etc reminding me of that great dance show. Someone (plushyfan, I think) said that Ireland is green, absolutely true but it is the soft green of grass, hedge & tree - not the garish & tacky (in my mind) emerald green that can sometimes appear when Irish music is used.

Personally I don't like garish costumes of any kind - it was interesting that one of the times I saw Suraya Bonlay live at Europeans & thought her costume very garish live but was later surprised how well it looked on tv!

Costuming is also a matter of personal taste - there are programmes which I could hardly bare to look at because of the costume(s), which most other people love!

lyverbird1

Final Flight
The green color of the Irish. Ireland is a green island. What is the problem with the green costume?

If someone wants to be different when skating to Irish themed music, they could always skate in blue which is our official national colour!

I don't necessarily have a problem with garish emerald green but it's been done, it's overly obvious and throws subtlety out the window.

Icey

Record Breaker
The playing field should be leveled and a limit set on how much can be spent on a costume for a competition.

gkelly

Record Breaker
How do you enforce that?

And how does that affect the uneven playing field between skaters who have a talent for clothing design and construction (or family members who do), vs. others who have to pay for everything?

If you really want to level the playing field, either make everyone dress the same -- maybe team uniforms for each country -- or else introduce a strict dress code with only certain colors and types of fabrics allowed, no stones or similar ornamentation, etc.

loopy

Final Flight
I just love costumes. I watch a competition and then read views on the costumes. For me it is really fun, I don't do that after watching a ballet or most theater productions or tennis. I did notice the terrible blue uniform on Thanksgiving football. Panthers! More like bright blue speed skating clothing!

I think for skaters, the dress is part of their mental prep for a competition. It helps them get into the mindset. When they go to the rink in leggings and a tee shirt, they are in practice mindset.

noskates

Record Breaker
Hmmm - don't know that I agree that a limit should be set on spending. But I do think there should maybe be some guidelines. It seems the costumes are getting skimpier and skimpier. I personally dont' enjoy seeing a 15 yr old girl dressed up like a trollop! And again what is it with the Canadian ladies and panties that fit. I noticed Daleman's don't fit any better than her countrywoman's.