Oh No!!! A Scary Warning About Soft Drinks | Golden Skate

Oh No!!! A Scary Warning About Soft Drinks

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Wouldn't you know it? My one vice in life and now I have to worry about getting cancer!!! I love diet Coke - especially the Vanilla and the new lime flavours!

A Scary Warning About Soft Drinks

Soda drinkers, beware! Consume too many fizzy drinks and it could raise your risk of esophageal cancer, which is usually fatal. A research team from Tata Memorial Hospital in India found a strong relationship between the rise in per capita consumption of carbonated soft drinks in the past 50 years and a documented increase in rates of esophageal cancer in the United States, reports Reuters.

Since 1946, consumption of carbonated beverages in the United States has risen a staggering 450 percent from 10.8 gallons per person each year to 49.2 gallons for each person by 2000. It may not be a coincidence that over the past 25 years, the rate of esophageal cancer has increased by more than 570 percent in white American men--and killed almost all who were afflicted with it. The Indian researchers think this isn't a coincidence, citing a biological basis for the increase in esophageal cancer cases. Soft drinks cause the stomach to distend, which in turn causes the gastric reflux associated with esophageal cancer, reports Reuters.

The United States is not alone. Similar trends were found worldwide. Other countries with a per capita annual consumption of at least 20 gallons of soft drinks also had a rise in the rate of esophageal cancer. "The surprisingly strong correlation demonstrates the impact of diet patterns on health trends," study leader Dr. Mohandas Mallath said in a prepared statement.

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
Oh no is right. Sometimes I like those drinks (i.e. ginger ale) especially on days like today. Most people have them for Memorial Day picnics, to add to the fun. I hope I don't have to worry about getting cancer. :(

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's the fake sugar they use... from what I've always heard

my dentist always says that diet is best and causes no medical risks and doesn't rot your teeth

this is the same guy who pulled a baby tooth saying my permanent tooth would come in soon... but (HA HA) then he looked at the x-ray and went "oops" (mind you this is after the tooth is out and I have 50 pounds of gause in my mouth) because my perm. tooth won't be coming in without oral surgery... and even then two more teeth would come out so I'd need 2 fake teeth :rolleye: I swear we have the worst luck in dentists! (the other one said not to worry about taking care of my teeth[braces and cavities] until all the baby teeth were gone)

/rant

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I would love dearly to get my finacee off of his 6 pack a day of diet Coke habit. He tolerates my skating addiction, but that is not going to kill me...at least I hope not. :)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
My cousin's husband used to work for a soft drink company. He worked in the warehouse and wore rubber boots.........he had to replace them periodically because the leakage from the soft drink cases that broke ate away at his boots......imagine what they do to your stomach......(I should worry, my drink of choice is Diet Pepsi!) 42

guinevere

Final Flight
Worse than your stomach - imagine what it's doing to your teeth!!

Toni, your dentist is totally high telling you diet soft drinks don't rot your teeth - it's not the sugar that does the most damage, it's the carbonation. Also, caffeine leaches calcium from your bones (and diet soft drinks still have caffeine, unless you get caffeine-free). Perhaps he's hoping to give himself a bit of job security? :laugh:

guinevere
who's been trying to wean herself off her pepsi addiction

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
guinevere:

I've known for years what I am doing to my poor stomach, teeth and bones!!! Slow death, I am sure. As hard as I try, I am just as bad as the guy who can't give up smoking!

I quit drinking coffee for awhile and give up coke as well, next thing you know there I am pouring the bad toxins down my throat again.

Dentists love me!! $$$$ I have several root canals and crowns to boot thanks to the refreshing taste of coke!!!

I don't suppose this cancer scare will deter me either!

Digging an early grave......

:rolleye:

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I did not know that caffeine leeches calcium from your bones. I drink about a pot of coffee every night at work. Gave up smoking about 6 years ago then started skating....I don't miss it. The caffeine, that will take some work now. I LOVE COFFEE!!!

Kateri

On the Ice
*sigh* Everything is carcenogenic, it seems.
And if you don't die from that, you'll die from something else.

Let's face it, life is a terminal condition.

I just can't be bothered to listen to most of these cancer-scare stories (except the serious ones like smoking).
If the fizzy drinks don't get me, my roll-on deodorant or hair-dye will...

k.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Kateri, I'm with you. Sure, some things present enough of a risk to change your habits, but if you want to be really safe, you have to move out to the country, plant your own food, and never step foot in a city again.

guinevere

Final Flight
Ladskater said:
guinevere:

I've known for years what I am doing to my poor stomach, teeth and bones!!!
hey Ladskater,

I hope you don't think I was preachin' at ya about the soft drinks - I consume obnoxious amounts of soda myself, despite the risk. I've been trying to limit myself to one pepsi a week, since that's the one thing I'm really addicted to - but find that the things I drink instead (iced latte, juice, vitamin water) all contain things that are also bad for me. sigh.

:D

guinevere

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I stopped drinking Coke when I saw my brother using it to clean corroded battery terminals! My sister-in-law read the same thing about the diet drinks last year and since then my family has pretty much gotten off of the soft drink kick....and I am very proud. But, Kateri is right, if it isn't the soft drinks it will be something else that eventually gets us all!