Duhamel/Radford new element: throw quad lutz | Golden Skate

Duhamel/Radford new element: throw quad lutz

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
During a press conference at the 2015 World Figure Skating Championships in Shanghai, they said a secret new "trick" was in the works for this season. During the Stars on Ice tour, they decided to post a video revealing what they were referring to: a throw quadruple lutz, an element never performed in competition.

"It is too good to keep secret," Radford said on Facebook.

Duhamel explained that as the throw triple lutz became easier and easier to land, she and Radford wanted to take things up a notch.

"We told Richard we wanted to try it during Stars on Ice and he agreed, and so did Bruno," Radford said. "So, during our shows, we decided to practice it. We learned it in two days without ever having a lesson. Now, it's better than the quad throw salchow was last summer, when we had just learned it. Doing a quad throw is not riskier for us than doing a triple throw."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/08/11/142457472

QuadThrow

Medalist
Looking forward to the first quad lutz throw ever!

Their elements are big but not that beautiful.

I think there will be a big battle around quads in Poeng Chang.

Pika

Final Flight
Does it mean they will have two quad throws in the free?! If they succeed Meagan will definitely become my hero.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
That's a dangerous path they're stepping on. Two quad throws are not a joke.
But it will be fantastic if they will do all their technical elements clean.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really wonder with them pushing the technical envelop how long their bodies will hold out. They are both about 30 now and by 2018 they will be nearly 3 years older.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They also say that their main competitors are Chinese...

Which is true. I mean, if V/T still get the huge components scores and GOE gifts from the judges they'll still be unbeatable because their overall skating is still better than S/H and D/R, but V/T can't afford the errors like they've had in the past. LOL at Eric saying we'll see if V/T have learned any new elements. #theshade :cool: Also, Stolbova/Klimov will have needed to up their game to compete against S/H and D/R.

Still go crazy over that 4Z and Boyang Jin's 4Z+3T. As far as their bodies holding out, Meagan in particular is very very well-trained and determined. The same thing people criticize her for (too muscley, not a "typical" pairs skater physique, too tough-looking not graceful) will be what (hopefully) keeps them in the game.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Which is true. I mean, if V/T still get the huge components scores and GOE gifts from the judges they'll still be unbeatable because their overall skating is still better than S/H and D/R, but V/T can't afford the errors like they've had in the past. LOL at Eric saying we'll see if V/T have learned any new elements. #theshade :cool: Also, Stolbova/Klimov will have needed to up their game to compete against S/H and D/R.

Still go crazy over that 4Z and Boyang Jin's 4Z+3T. As far as their bodies holding out, Meagan in particular is very very well-trained and determined. The same thing people criticize her for (too muscley, not a "typical" pairs skater physique, too tough-looking not graceful) will be what (hopefully) keeps them in the game.

Considering how much shade Mr Yellow Pants has thrown their way, I say good for them--throw some back.

Really, pairs is rapidly becoming the most exciting --and entertaining!--of the disciplines.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Eh. Shade is fine. Except Max's critiques were valid; he never gives "shade" and is only ever clear (most people are afraid of clarity). D/R team saying this just comes off petty and "na-na-na-na" childish...

I agree that with their components and GOEs, they should still have their fair share of wins, albeit not as decisively as before.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Eh. Shade is fine. Except Max's critiques were valid; he never gives "shade" and is only ever clear (most people are afraid of clarity). D/R team saying this just comes off petty and "na-na-na-na" childish...

I agree that with their components and GOEs, she should still have their fair share of wins, albeit not as decisively as before.

I think he gives plenty of shade himself. Sometimes he outright bashes the Canadians' skating, and other times he more shady about it, "We look to return and bring beauty back to pair skating." Either way, I hope the Canadians/Chinese teams beat the yellow pants off him (although Tatiana's cool :love:).

s_parks

Record Breaker
I think he gives plenty of shade himself. Sometimes he outright bashes the Canadians' skating, and other times he more shady about it, "We look to return and bring beauty back to pair skating." Either way, I hope the Canadians/Chinese teams beat the yellow pants off him (although Tatiana's cool :love:).

I agree. I think Tatiana is simply divine but Trankov's attitude makes me root for the Chinese and Canadians to overtake them.

anyanka

Record Breaker
They also say that their main competitors are Chinese...

Meagan has also stated that by 2016/17, she believes their training mates the Italians Marchei / Hotarek will be medal contenders. M/H had a great outing at Euros this year, less so at worlds, but they are the only team to do the SBS 3Lz and already posted strong results their first season out. Let's see how they stack up, but if we put D/R, at least 3 Chinese teams (pick from S/H, P/Z, Y/J and the Wangs), the Italians, S/K from the US and the Russians (V/T, K/S, S/K, T/M) and that's a crowded top 10 by Pyeongchang.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Meagan has also stated that by 2016/17, she believes their training mates the Italians Marchei / Hotarek will be medal contenders. M/H had a great outing at Euros this year, less so at worlds, but they are the only team to do the SBS 3Lz and already posted strong results their first season out. Let's see how they stack up, but if we put D/R, at least 3 Chinese teams (pick from S/H, P/Z, Y/J and the Wangs), the Italians, S/K from the US and the Russians (V/T, K/S, S/K, T/M) and that's a crowded top 10 by Pyeongchang.
I can't see K/S from Russia hanging around till 2018.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I can't see K/S from Russia hanging around till 2018.

I don't either, and I say that as a fan of theirs. Moskvina did say in her long interview with TSL that they would "stick around" as long as the public still wanted them to skate. Maybe all those injuries may catch up.

For some reason I don't know if V/T would be around for 2018 either. They can do it and their components and technical skills are sound, but they've won double gold on home ice, are millionaires and revered in the Russian public (both the sports and the celebrity pages). I love them too but what would be the incentive to continue?

... I veered off track, back to D/R ...

gmyers

Record Breaker
They will never be defeated in a competion ever again . D/r are 2018 Olympic champions .

Weathergal

Medalist

I know they are pretty new to the Senior scene, but I'd add Seguin/Bilodeau to that list. Just a hunch, I realize.

moriel

Record Breaker
They will never be defeated in a competion ever again . D/r are 2018 Olympic champions .
That would be very sad =( Hopefully either chinese or V/T will do the job - after all D/R are more like side by side skating than pair skating.

Last edited: