Skaters in small feds using crowdfunding | Golden Skate

Skaters in small feds using crowdfunding

Trewyn

Medalist
Smaller countries like Belgium don't have any developmental funds for figure skating. Loena Hendrickx (sister of Jorik Hendrickx) has made it to the Junior Grand Prix but still has to finance going to these competitions herself. I guess this is the case for all skaters that don't have large federations behind them?

Not sure if it's allowed, but here is a link to Loena's crowdfunding campaign. Hope she manages to compete in those grand prix events the upcoming season!

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
That's a reality of almost all countries in Europe and not only there. Remember, Takahashi retired after he could not find a sponsor to continue his career and had not enough money to fund by himself (or something like that)... Even Yuna Kim was sponsored by korean industry giants... In USA & Canada, I know, figure skaters are either self-funded, or sponsored...

It seems to me, that sport is fully state-funded only in that countries, where it is a part of propaganda or something like that.

By the way - good luck to Loena:)

Отправлено с моего Uno через Tapatalk

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's a sad part of being part of a little country.

Lukas Kaugars also has a GoFundMe page set up.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Jorik Hendrickx himself also had a crowdfunding campaign last year, it sucks for those from smaller feds. Probably get in less training too just to save on funds. In Canada they're only partially funded but I don't know the details, I asked Dylan Moscovitch about it but I can't remember his exact answer but this was before he paired up with Liubov Iliushechkina and was 4th in the World.

Hevari

On the Ice
It's a sad part of being part of a little country.

Lukas Kaugars also has a GoFundMe page set up.

It's not sad - it's how it is when sport is just sport and not a part of some political games.

noidont

Final Flight
Everyone worries about money in this world no matter what you do it seems but I do feel it's wrong for a 15-year-old to worry about money for herself. Parents can manage to take out a loan? It's not that much money.

Hevari

On the Ice
Everyone worries about money in this world no matter what you do it seems but I do feel it's wrong for a 15-year-old to worry about money for herself. Parents can manage to take out a loan? It's not that much money.

Of course you're right - everyone wories about money. But I meen - some states fund sports heavily to show that they are no. 1 in the world, to use sports for propaganda, like it was in USSR.

Krunchii

Record Breaker

7500 euros may not be a lot to you but it's a lot of money for others, if her older brother also had to crowdfund himself last year that might mean they just don't have any money to spare or can no longer take out a loan.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Smaller countries like Belgium don't have any developmental funds for figure skating. Loena Hendrickx (sister of Jorik Hendrickx) has made it to the Junior Grand Prix but still has to finance going to these competitions herself. I guess this is the case for all skaters that don't have large federations behind them?

Not sure if it's allowed, but here is a link to Loena's crowdfunding campaign. Hope she manages to compete in those grand prix events the upcoming season!

Yankowskas/Gaman are another example of skaters with a crowdfunding campaign.
http://www.youcaring.com/caitlin-yankowskas-and-hamish-gaman-401592

That's a reality of almost all countries in Europe and not only there. Remember, Takahashi retired after he could not find a sponsor to continue his career and had not enough money to fund by himself (or something like that)... Even Yuna Kim was sponsored by korean industry giants... In USA & Canada, I know, figure skaters are either self-funded, or sponsored...

It seems to me, that sport is fully state-funded only in that countries, where it is a part of propaganda or something like that.

By the way - good luck to Loena:)

Agree that no doubt there are many more examples, from federations both small and large.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I wish more skaters from smaller feds had some type of crowdfunding set up and publicised. There are at least a handful of skaters I would love to support if there were an easy way to do so.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Do you think we can open a separate thread in the fan fests dedicated only to crowd-sourcing? Then we can go into each skater's fundraising page and support them. It may not be much but every it helps!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Good idea. I retitled this thread and moved it Le Cafe. It will remain available longer ghere, too, than in the Edge.

Hevari

On the Ice
Good idea. I retitled this thread and moved it Le Cafe. It will remain available longer ghere, too, than in the Edge.

That's good... Maybe, it could be useful to open a special section for fundraising campaigns?...

Last edited: