Up and coming: Young You | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Up and coming: Young You

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Young You (11 years old) just won the Novice round of the Asian Open Trophy competition. She can already do 3LZ+3T and 3F+3T! Her skating skills are extremely solid, and her speed is fast!

So what do you guys think? I know she's still young, so it's difficult to tell, but does she have potential to become the next figure skating star in Korea? I want to hear your thoughts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT29sp5zo6w

Wow, extremely impressive. Her jumps are fast and she skates with speed and confidence. A *ton* of potential. :clap:

seabm7

Final Flight
Request to Korean speakers on this thread: How is the name of this skater pronounced in English? Is Young the family name or the personal name?

Her name is very easy to pronounce. The family name is pronounced just as the English word "you" and the given name is pronounced as the English word "young".

usethis2

Medalist
^ It is indeed. Easy to remember, too. Does anyone have a name "Young Me" in Korea? Out of curiosity.

clippers8200

On the Ice
^ It is indeed. Easy to remember, too. Does anyone have a name "Young Me" in Korea? Out of curiosity.

That could be someone's given name...a first-last name combination like that would be rare.

Technically there could be a Young Me Yoo :biggrin:

Thanks for the answers!

I just Googled Young-mi and found out that there are a number of well-known people with that given name, such as famous comedian Ahn Young-mi. There is a prominent Korean-American Harvard professor named Youngme Moon.

(Signed, Old Me.)

Krislite

Medalist
Young You (11 years old) just won the Novice round of the Asian Open Trophy competition. She can already do 3LZ+3T and 3F+3T! Her skating skills are extremely solid, and her speed is fast!

So what do you guys think? I know she's still young, so it's difficult to tell, but does she have potential to become the next figure skating star in Korea? I want to hear your thoughts!

She won't be age eligible for 2018, but she'll be 18/19 by the 2022 games, which will be right in the neighborhood (Beijing). Enough time to mature performance-wise, assuming she keeps her great jumps and avoids injury. I don't think Korea's had this kind of jumping talent since Yuna Kim, so this is very promising.

For comparison, here's novice Yuna Kim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29F_3ddZSNI :)

usethis2

Medalist
^ :shocked:

HOLY POODLE?!

I thought you meant by "novice Yuna Kim" a 11 year old in present day who skates like Yuna Kim. I did not expect to see the real one.

It is beyond my comprehension just how talented Kim was. Doubly shocking is she already had some of the beautiful moves she retains to date back then. I thought she'd gotten those from David Wilson. I cannot believe my eyes. (Oh and that beautiful Lutz @0:55! :jaw:)

You totally got me by surprise but I cannot thank you enough.

RaylHaze

Rinkside
omg so amazing!! her lutz is huge. cant wait when she can finally compete junior internationally

Kuan

Final Flight
She won't be age eligible for 2018, but she'll be 18/19 by the 2022 games, which will be right in the neighborhood (Beijing). Enough time to mature performance-wise, assuming she keeps her great jumps and avoids injury. I don't think Korea's had this kind of jumping talent since Yuna Kim, so this is very promising.

For comparison, here's novice Yuna Kim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29F_3ddZSNI :)

And her 3Loop back then looked so easy! :love: Here is her SP from that time. Yuna was the fastest novice I ever saw.

ranran

Zamboni time
On the Ice

Wow promising indeed! I especially love how she attacks her jumps and how fast the rotation are.

andyjo24

Medalist
Yes - they have the same coach. Love An Sohyun!

I was amazed to see all the talent in the novice competition. I had always heard about the growing potential for ladies figure skating in South Korea, but this is the first time I've really seen it.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the "Korean Babies" come soon.

I've been seeing a pattern:

About 10-15 years after Midori Ito, we had high-level Japanese skaters.
About 10-15 years after Irina Slutskaya, we had the Russian Babies.
About 10-15 years after Yu-na Kim, will have "you fill in the blank"

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Too bad she isn't a few years older, I could picture her and Wakaba having a great {friendly} rivalry, as they are both fearless little speed nuggets!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^Does Miyu Honda decided to focus on figure skating instead of a TV/acting career? I love her sister Marin Honda a lot.
If Miyu Honda will be a skater, that would be a quite exciting rivalry, they are totally different.

malo42

On the Ice
Moa Iwano is also the same age and she beats Miyu every single time they skate so if your looking at a Japanese rival for Young You it'd be her unless Miyu hugely improves in the next few years.

Anyway YY is great! So fast and all her jumps looked good too, I can't wait to see how she develops in the future.