Unusally Hot Here | Golden Skate

Unusally Hot Here

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Wow has this been an unusual summer for us on the West Coast of BC. We have had several heat waves and a water restriction was put in to place for the first time in my life time. We always have an abundance of water - usually thanks to mother nature, but we've had the lowest amount of rain in years. It's almost like being in California some of the time. Unfortunately, fires are burning much of our beautiful forests. Oh for some rain! We often joke - "I wish it would rain" usually our mantra is "rain, rain go away, come again some other day." Oh well, I am sure we will soon be dusting off our umbrellas and rain gear fairly soon!

:shrug:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*chuckles* You've never known water restrictions? I've never known a time without them. :)

I believe this one's due to the good ol' (insert common Australian term of endearment/insult here) El Nino. We're expecting another drought spell as a result. Not cool.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I just knew you had to be close to NW Montana. I'm actually beginning to become accustomed to 95 -100 degree heat!

Layback11

Record Breaker
I live in a certain region of the U.S. which is currently ridiculously hot. And I really wish it would rain.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I live in a certain region of the U.S. which is currently ridiculously hot. And I really wish it would rain.

I live in the Midwest and we have had nothing but rain. I wish I could send you some. :clap:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I'm dying. 90°F/32°C today and tomorrow. Autumn is only a month away, my favorite season... and coincidentally, the same time figure skating/hockey season ramps up. ;)

Last edited:

MalAssada

Medalist
You think 32°C is hot? :rofl: If you ever visit Brazil, do it in winter. Winter has just ended here and we have the same temperatures in the state of São Paulo. Rio might actually be worse, and the northern beaches :drama: That's at least 35°C year around (I've lived, burned and suffered there).

I guess we will have to get used to it. July 2015 was the hottest July ever in the history of global record-keeping, and we are on track to totally shatter the record for the hottest full year (2014 holds the current record).

Layback11

Record Breaker
It was 105 degrees yesterday. We had at least 15 people in our pool all day. :laugh2: Today, it's 95. Several people migrated over to our pool again. It's like fire to a moth on hot days :rofl:

nguyhm

On the Ice
Here in TX a 32°C day in July/August is a result of what we call a "cold front" :). Our hottest days would be around 40°C/105°F. We actually had a "cold front" blown in bringing the temperature down to the 90's°F for this week. I am ready for fall.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Here in TX a 32°C day in July/August is a result of what we call a "cold front" :). Our hottest days would be around 40°C/105°F. We actually had a "cold front" blown in bringing the temperature down to the 90's°F for this week. I am ready for fall.

That's about comparable to Palm Springs (resort town in the Southern CA desert where I used to vacation every year). About eight years ago, it was above 115 for the entire week we were there! :slink: This was, I think, July 2007. A bunch of my family is really heat-sensitive, too...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Today it is 10C where I am. On Friday it will be 19C, which is practically a heatwave for this time of year. I keep waiting for the weather to turn again; it's August, and August here is usually very cold and very windy, but the closer we get to September, the more I'm starting to think it won't.

It's just the natural cycle of things. Comes and goes.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Today it is 10C where I am. On Friday it will be 19C, which is practically a heatwave for this time of year. I keep waiting for the weather to turn again; it's August, and August here is usually very cold and very windy, but the closer we get to September, the more I'm starting to think it won't.

Take me with you! ;) Btw, karne, I used to work for an American-based company (Domino's Pizza headquarters) and every year, they'd give out generous Christmas boxes with loads of stuff. One year, the theme was 'international' -- this is how they represented Australia:

https://youtu.be/6dg391IrC88 (shot from my phone in LQ, sorry!)

rollerblade

Record Breaker

Arizona? We hit 119F (48C) here over the weekend, and the overnight low was 92F. :laugh: It has been so ridiculously dry for a monsoon season, so I echoed your sentiment - WHERE IS THE RAIN?!
(Although I tend to snicker at AZ's definition of monsoon.... it's like a puppy tickle compared to the monsoon at the Tropics.)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Take me with you! ;) Btw, karne, I used to work for an American-based company (Domino's Pizza headquarters) and every year, they'd give out generous Christmas boxes with loads of stuff. One year, the theme was 'international' -- this is how they represented Australia:

OMG!!! That thing is sweet!! I got this as a secret Santa Gift once and someone stole it from me.

https://youtu.be/FwxEhnJP3i8

I want to be mad that they stole it but it's so awesome I couldn't really blame them :laugh:

Now: What the heck is the deal with all of the weird structures at the Dominos headquarters. I always assumed it was a super secret U of M weather controller similar to HAARP but instead just made it cloudy bizarre weather. :confused2:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Arizona? We hit 119F (48C) here over the weekend, and the overnight low was 92F. :laugh: It has been so ridiculously dry for a monsoon season, so I echoed your sentiment - WHERE IS THE RAIN?!
(Although I tend to snicker at AZ's definition of monsoon.... it's like a puppy tickle compared to the monsoon at the Tropics.)

Close, but not Arizona. We got almost 2 inches in an hour one day and it was miraculous. Our dirt hill got muddy and tons of dirt got in our pool. It took two hours to get the drainage pipe in our driveway cleared and keep the other drains open enough to stop the dirty water from going into the pool. It was nuts.

It's cooling off, though, so that's good. And I saw a thunderstorm for the first time in years this July!

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Now: What the heck is the deal with all of the weird structures at the Dominos headquarters. I always assumed it was a super secret U of M weather controller similar to HAARP but instead just made it cloudy bizarre weather. :confused2:

Tom Monaghan (founder of Domino's Pizza) originally wanted to construct Domino's Farms HQ with a super hotel that was taller than the Ann Arbor township ordinance would allow at the time, so he created these 'mock' hotel structures that were completely useless other than an symbolic F U to Ann Arbor for not allowing him to use his original plans.

Btw, here's another animated Christmas Hat (with the Noid!), worth its weight in gold because it scares the bejeezus out of my cats:

https://youtu.be/sufpo7gkodo (it's 20x louder than it sounds)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haha!!! My avatar totally photobombed that video :p

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Take me with you! ;)

I will swap gladly with anyone who is too hot right now! I hate being cold. I feel it in my very bones and once I'm properly cold, it can take me hours to get warm again. I much prefer summer.

IT SINGS OMG :laugh2:

Aside: where the heck did they get that awful cover of Land Down Under?

OMG!!! That thing is sweet!! I got this as a secret Santa Gift once and someone stole it from me.

https://youtu.be/FwxEhnJP3i8

I want to be mad that they stole it but it's so awesome I couldn't really blame them :laugh:

Now that thing is terrifying. :laugh: