Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reality TV Idea...FS

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Reality TV Idea...FS

While listening to the news on the radio other day it was announced that the CBC here in Canada is going to launch a new reality tv program about Hockey. It's called:

Making the Cut will air on CBC for 13 weeks this fall will follow the attempts of 68 amateur hockey players to crack an NHL line-up. I'm serious. Scotty Bowman and Mike Keenan are on board, giving the show a heap of credibility, and 6 finalists will be given the chance to make each of the Canadian NHL team rosters. A staff of NHL, AHL and European scouts will be involved, helping Bowman and Keenan select the top talent, and several unnamed former pros will act as mentors to the would be NHLers (who are kicked off the show for fighting by the way).
    I am not a big fan of reality shows, but I was thinking how about a reality tv show about figure skating?

Any ideas?

This should keep us busy for awhile!!!
    :D

The Skate Blade has been working on an idea for a fun summer fluff game similar to what you're asking

basically I came up with an "American Idol" type idea where you go through a bunch of "themes" and pick a bunch of skaters... making a smaller and smaller group each week...

say the theme was... movie classics:

Kurt Browning would "skate" to Casablanca
    Alexei Yagudin would "skate" to Gladiator
    etc etc etc

and then people would vote and whomever got the least amount of votes would be "voted off" the "show"

that's how I'd do it anyway

Tonichelle:

Might be a fun idea. I was thinking more of along the lines of coming up with some unknown skaters - give them a make over and some lessons with a top coach and work with a choreographer - Sandra Bezic for example - see who comes out the winner.

Thanks for the reply!

I could see that

but really you're not going to make a National/World Champion in 13 weeks... so it wouldn't be as big a hit as something like Survivor or American Idol... it's all about ratings

Tonichelle:

I was not quite thinking of National or World Champion - that takes years - but someone with raw talent could be discovered and win the top placement - sort of like a club competition - and maybe develop their talents further. It was just an idea for a topic now that we are in the summer doldrums.

Custom Title
    Ladskater,

That is a great idea!!! Canuck Jr. and I would watch that in a heartbeat! Heck, she could try out and maybe get some free coaching - wouldn't that be a huge bonus for my check book!

Canuck

That would be a fun show to watch and why not Nascar has one where their following 3 drivers around.

oh I understand, LAD... I was just explaining my idea and my thinking behind it... it's all you get beat in the head in journalism classes "IT'S ALL ABOUT THE RATINGS!"

Custom Title
    I think a cool reality show would be to have cameras follow the skaters behind the scenes on the ice tours: ie the Stars on Ice Reality Show or COI. I'd like to see some of the backstage antics of some of those skaters.

Skating Soprano
    I think to would be neat to follow the lives of a few novice girls and see everything they do. Put cameras in their houses and rinks and all...

If any of the back-stage still photographs on the websites of the skaters who are involved in S.O.I. or C.O.I. are any indication, that would make for a pretty dull show. You'd get alot of Sasha, Jenny and Nicole sitting around a restaurant table, yacking it up about what shade of eye makeup goes best with whatever costume. Definitely a chick thing. :o

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Ladskater
    Tonichelle:

I was not quite thinking of National or World Champion - that takes years - but someone with raw talent could be discovered and win the top placement - sort of like a club competition - and maybe develop their talents further. It was just an idea for a topic now that we are in the summer doldrums.
    It's a good idea. It might be more realistic to help someone to prepare for an audition with something like Holiday on Ice. Take some skaters who have the talent, but who, for whatever reason, have not been able to obtain that type of job. Craig Heath would make an excellent host because he well know among skating fans for his show work. And it would be a great advert for shows like Holiday on Ice or Disney on Ice.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Tonichelle
    The Skate Blade has been working on an idea for a fun summer fluff game similar to what you're asking

basically I came up with an "American Idol" type idea where you go through a bunch of "themes" and pick a bunch of skaters... making a smaller and smaller group each week...

say the theme was... movie classics:

Kurt Browning would "skate" to Casablanca
    Alexei Yagudin would "skate" to Gladiator
    etc etc etc

and then people would vote and whomever got the least amount of votes would be "voted off" the "show"

that's how I'd do it anyway
    Another great idea! Robin Cousins would make a great host/producer for this one. He's well-known enough and he did a superb job with Improv on Ice. Maybe the show could be called "Improve on Ice: Redux."

skatepixie:

Actually, I did see a documentary about a couple of young novice female skaters from Great Britain. It was quite well done. They filmed them training and practicing and competing as well as their personal lives off ice. I can't remember what show it was on - probably some CBC production - they do a lot of shows like that.

Thanks for the reply!!!

Tonichelle:

"IT'S ALL ABOUT THE RATINGS!"
    You more than likely have a point there!! It would be about the ratings. Of course, a reality show dealing with Hockey will take off here "like a house on fire."

We devoted fans here at GS would be glued to the set if there was a show dealing with FS!

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast