2015-16 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015-16 State of Russian Ladies skating

hanca

Record Breaker
The past with the available information on the present is not ideal but still the best predictor of the future. It will be the Fed who will declare the team - we can only guess here. And based on the past and what we know on the present my pre-season guess on Team 2016 is Liza, Elena, and Yulia. If Adelina suprises everyone at the nationals and there are no meltdowns among the other three we will witness a big drama. Smaller dramas will be related to other "super girls". How it all works out this year will influence significantly the next season and 2018.
Before last season we didn't know too many things. We didn't know that Liza will completely turn it around at the time when a lot of people already wrote her off, we didn't know that Julia would have a bad season, we didn't know how well Elena will manage her first fully senior season... The same way we can do predictions, but we don't know whether one of those you are predicting great will have a bad season, we don't know whether Julia who had bad season last year will manage to turn it around the same way as Liza did, we don't know how well Evgenia will manage her first senior season. So all those predictions are more or less wishful thinking and personal belief in their abilities, but it probably won't be very accurate. If we predicted at the beginning of the last season, based on the result from the previous season, we would have been betting on Adelina and Julia, and yet none of them was chosen for Europeans or worlds team.

My predictions are Evgenia, Julia, and the last spot will be fight between Anna, Serafima and Elena. Liza will be so much concentrating on fitting the axels in, that she will frequently mess up and it will cost her medals at several competitions.

Last edited:

witcher

Match Penalty
I see. That's why Bezrukova beat Gubanova and Nugumanova with nearly 30 points ahead at younger age (novice) nationals a year ago. It is not how much talent you got that wins the competition. It is about how you can deliver.
Why don't you add that Gubanova had worst skate of her season in LP of that tournament with 3 big errors (and still managed to get bronze medal and surpass Nugumanova btw.)?
Why don't you add that same season (2013/14) 1,5 year younger Nastya Gubanova had beaten Bezrukova three other times they met:
- at 2014 Russian Junior Championship,
- at Cup of Russia in Perm, and
- at 2014 Crystal Skate tournament?
Where is that mythical Bezrukova's "delivery" that made her an outstanding example of young talent falling apart with passing time? :scratch:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she is bad skater, I have nothing against the poor girl - to be honest I haven't even known much about her, before you began putting her on "uncertainty of young female skaters development" banner.
I just don't see anything in her achievements or skating itself, that would have justified such persistent praise and lamentation. :shrug:

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've foregone all predictions and am just hoping thru some miracle sent from above Julia does three Olympics. 23 yrs old would not be such a bad age to retire.

I may support and like a lot of skaters but she is the one who inspires me.

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
Why don't you add that Gubanova had worst skate of her season in LP of that tournament with 3 big errors?
Why don't you add that same season (2013/14) 1,5 year younger Nastya Gubanova had beaten Bezrukova three other times they met:
- at 2014 Russian Junior Championship,
- at Cup of Russia in Perm, and
- at 2014 Crystal Skate tournament?
Where is that mythical Bezrukova's "delivery" that made her an outstanding example of young talent falling apart with passing time? :scratch:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she is bad skater, I have nothing against the poor girl - to be honest I haven't even known much about her, before you began putting her on "uncertainty of female skaters development" banner.
I just don't see anything in her achievements or skating itself, that would have justified such persistent praise and lamentation. :shrug:

I am sorry that someone dares to touch your precious Gubanova. My point is actually not arguing how great Bezrukova is and how bad Gubanova is. My point was that a year before a skater becomes eligible, it is too early to know which way their career will go, and Bezrukova is a sad example of that. We all see those who made it, who were good before juniors, then in juniors and successfully managed to transfer it even to seniors. But for every skater who made it, there are a numbers of those who didn't. Who looked promising at some stage and then just fizzled out. I think it is too early to write off Bezrukova yet, even though at this moment she doesn't look very promising. On the other hand it seems to me very premature to be awarding medals at worlds and future Olympics to those who look promising now, but are not even junior eligible yet. I do think watching juniors is worth it and is very enjoyable, I do cross my fingers for all those talented juniors, but I find those talks of predictions how well Gubanova and Nugumanova will do in a few years time ridiculous. Celebrating how good she is now is fine, but declaring how well she will do in the future - I am glad that you are a psychic, but I am remaining not persuaded. Maybe they will be good, maybe they won't. I wish they were, but there is so much that can happen (injury, growth, puberty), nothing is ever certain. I have seen so many great talents that came to nothing.

witcher

Match Penalty
I've foregone all predictions and am just hoping thru some miracle sent from above Julia does three Olympics. 23 yrs old would not be such a bad age to retire.
Let's say I would spend big amount of money to make it happen, but I wouldn't bet 1$ on it actually happening. :laugh:;)

hanca

Record Breaker

I may support and like a lot of skaters but she is the one who inspires me.

Let's say I would spend big amount of money to make it happen, but I wouldn't bet 1$ on it actually happening. :laugh:;)

Ahh...but would you bet against her :think:

Actually, I am Julia's fan and I would be willing to bet that she can make another Olympics. I am not sure if she can make two more Olympics because there is too many skaters who will be fighting for those spots, but she could potentially do two more Olympics if you were not insisting that they have to be consecutive Olympics. Instead of retiring at 23, if she retired at 27, she would have four attempts and from those four attempts she would make the Olympic team three times... It still would be hard to achieve, but at least it would give her room for error.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Any clues as to what the Adelina presser is going to be about. I figured we wouldn't hear from her until after the test skates. :popcorn:

I hope she comes back but if she ends up not competing internationally my inner Sima fan will feel a bit burned. I just can't ever tell what is going to happen with Adelina.

Hanca: You're killing me :drama: Just imagining Julia still skating at 27 makes my heart race.

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
Any clues as to what the Adelina presser is going to be about. I figured we wouldn't hear from her until after the test skates. :popcorn:

I hope she comes back but if she ends up not competing internationally my inner Sima fan will feel a bit burned. I just can't ever tell what is going to happen with Adelina.

Adelina is having open practice on 20.8., so hopefully we will have some news about how is she doing. I think she definitely will try to come back, but whether she will be good enough to be sent to Europeans or worlds we will see .

Barb

Record Breaker

Hanca: You're killing me :drama: Just imagining Julia still skating at 27 makes my heart race.

If Serafima has very good JGP and get 1 or 2 place at nationals she can be send to Euros or worlds?

hanca

Record Breaker
Yes, their team for Europeans is based on the results from senior nationals and team for worlds is based on nationals and Cup of Russia final competition.

witcher

Match Penalty
My point was that a year before a skater becomes eligible, it is too early to know which way their career will go, and Bezrukova is a sad example of that.
Thing is, Bezrukova is an astonishing reference, because there're hardly any scores or even single performances supporting the claim of "great promissing talent" in regard to herself. That's why I find it so hard to compare her case to that of outstanding and successful young skaters like Gubanova and Nugumanova.
I guess she must have grabbed your attention and admiration somehow, I'm just curious how and when? :shrug:

hanca

Record Breaker
Thing is, Bezrukova is an astonishing reference, because there're hardly any scores or even single performances supporting the claim of "great promissing talent" in regard to herself. That's why I find it so hard to compare her case to that of outstanding and successful young skaters like Gubanova and Nugumanova.
I guess she must have grabbed your attention and admiration somehow, I'm just curious how and when? :shrug:

Bezrukova is only one of them. There is Ogoreltseva, who placed second at junior younger age nationals in 2013 and third in second junior (older age) nationals , placing just behind Medvedeva and Sotskova, and beating Proklova...and then she placed second and eight at her JGP events the following season; now she nearly disappeared. There is whole line of ladies who looked promising. Where are they now? Shelepen, Ovcharova... As I said, I do enjoy watching Nugumanova and Gubanova now, but believing that they are pinnacle of Russian ladies? Come on! Seriously? Let their skating speak for them. Maybe they will make it. Maybe they won't.

Last edited:

witcher

Match Penalty
Bezrukova is only one of them. There is Ogoreltseva, who placed second at junior younger age nationals in 2013 and third T second junior (older age) nationals , placing just behind Medvedeva and Sotskova, and beating Proklova...and then she placed second and eight at her JGP events the following season; now she nearly disappeared. There is whole line of ladies who looked promising. Where are they now? Shelepen, Ovcharova...
Now you're talking! :yes:
Shelepen, winner of multiple JGPs, one of the first girls performing triple combos in the beginning of the boom, that's a fine example, but Bezrukova in 2015? Cmon... ;)

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
Last edited:

witcher

Match Penalty
As I said, I do enjoy watching Nugumanova and Gubanova now, but believing that they are pinnacle of Russian ladies? Come on! Seriously?
I wrote they may be pinnacle of female skating BOOM - in a sense of technical content growth in inverse proportion to the age of skaters.

They couldn't possibly be pinnacle of Russian ladies in general, simply because Julia Lipnitskaya exists. :biggrin:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:laugh: That was a rhetorical question. I know where she is, but she definitely isn't winning medals for Russia. And she did have the talent. Having the talent is not everything. One needs also a healthy dose of luck to make it.

I know. I've just been stalking Polina's VK the last few months and have been waiting for the right time to discuss something about her here. :)