2015-16 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2015-16 State of Russian Ladies skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What would be a surprise about anyone of those ladies medaling...aside from Leonova (at least she already has one Worlds medal)? You think Medvedeva, Sotnikova, or Lipnitskaya...even Pogorilaya medaling would "shock the world"? Please...a shock would be someone like Roberta Rodeghiero medaling, or Gabrielle Daleman (I have nothing against these girls! Just the first ones that came to mind.). All of the girls you named have what it takes if they deliver their best at Worlds (assuming they get the spot). Which by the way, is months away and there's no telling what will happen in the meantime.
Sorry sarcasm doesn't read well in writing :) No we would not be shocked by any of the Russians other than maybe Leonova winning a medal (and Daleman might not even make the Canadian team).

fcolo

Rinkside
Is really surprising how her and other girls's bodies changes in such a dramatic way over a year! In an Italian forum posters guessed if these girls could Be in hormone therapy.. I've Always been skeptical about that but looking at the timing of her growth spurt makes me worried.. I hope everything is fair. I remeber reading the story of misty copeland..

moriel

Record Breaker
Is really surprising how her and other girls's bodies changes in such a dramatic way over a year! In an Italian forum posters guessed if these girls could Be in hormone therapy.. I've Always been skeptical about that but looking at the timing of her growth spurt makes me worried.. I hope everything is fair. I remeber reading the story of misty copeland..

just how puberty works

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't think we should expect her to return to top form so fast. She is clearly going thru physical changes and has been reworking her technique at the same time. I think she is definitely making progress albeit slowly. It's a positive sign that she has been talking to Liza and learning from someone who went thru similar issues. Hold on to hope! Right now it's a matter of putting the performance and executing of her technical layout together at the same time.

I think she can do it. I don't think she will be as consistent as she was in 2013-14, since most skaters are less consistent after puberty. However, she can still do these jumps. As far as the programs, the LP is very promising but everything about the SP, from the costume to the choreography, didn't work for her.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think she can do it. I don't think she will be as consistent as she was in 2013-14, since most skaters are less consistent after puberty. However, she can still do these jumps. As far as the programs, the LP is very promising but everything about the SP, from the costume to the choreography, didn't work for her.

I'm clearly in the minority but I love both the SP and the costume (though the costume seems distracting/offputting enough to the majority that perhaps it should be scrapped for that reason alone). I think the SP actually has good potential though, she just has to skate it bigger, especially the second half, where it is essential that she conveys to the audience and judges that she is in fact 'in on the joke' in the lyrics.

adelia

Record Breaker
Yulia's SP costume is not ugly. But if they are trying to portray a less childish image like she says, then that costume completely defeats the purpose. In the first place it's so similar to what Mitrofanova wore when she was 12-13.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Yulia's SP costume is not ugly. But if they are trying to portray a less childish image like she says, then that costume completely defeats the purpose.

I agree. I see Julia as an elegant skater and seeing her do a "fun" competitive program seems very much out of character. She is talented enough that she can do elegant programs and not bore the audience, unlike the vast majority of skaters. She should stick with what she does best.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I agree. I see Julia as an elegant skater and seeing her do a "fun" competitive program seems very much out of character. She is talented enough that she can do elegant programs and not bore the audience, unlike the vast majority of skaters. She should stick with what she does best.

But it was fantastic at the test skate. Especially the step sequence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1KtqTK02qA 1:32 (just before the 2A).

I think the fact that this was the first competition in ten months should be noted and unless the issue persists at SA after she polishes off the programs for two weeks with Marina (which was the idea the whole time) then it could just be an bump in the road. It's no small thing to try to jump into competition again, particularly international competition. I want to see how her competitive mindset will be at SA before jumping to any conclusions.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
But it was fantastic at the test skate. Especially the step sequence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1KtqTK02qA 1:32 (just before the 2A).

She skated well there, but, aside from the step sequence, she doesn't move to the rhythm of this music at all. For example, from 1:25 to 1:30 she does all these moves that don't seem to relate at all to the music; she does too much too fast and the music is moderately-paced. I don't think she should necessarily only skate to classical music, but this particular program doesn't seem right for her. She is a prodigy and this music doesn't give her spark like some of her programs from previous years.

Last edited:

witcher

Match Penalty
She skated well there, but, aside from the step sequence, she doesn't move to the rhythm of this music at all. For example, from 1:25 to 1:30 she does all these moves that don't seem to relate at all to the music; she does too much too fast and the music is moderately-paced.
No, she doesn't... :confused:
I mean, she's not portraying any particular tones there, but doesn't seem out of rhythm either. Can't notice anything particularily glaring there. :unsure:

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker

Yulia is still young and has room for a lot of artistic growth. She doesn't have to be locked in to a certain style. I really admire her for going out of her elegant box for her SP (especially since she is true to her typical style in her LP). If she is able to get the elements together and focus on performing, the SP is a great opportunity for her to expand her performance abilities and show her versatility as a skater. I would looooove to see her do this program well and look like she's having fun!

But the costume probably needs to go ;).

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I don't dislike Julia's SP, particularly because it is a fun piece and different.
I disagree though that an elegant skater cannot or should not do fun piece. Mao is a very elegant skater but she does lots of fun pieces, and she does them well. Maria Sotskova definitely is the league of elegant skater, and her Magic Black Woman is fantastic this season. I don't think Julia has a specific style yet. Her lack of emotion in general is not equivalent to elegance. It's just heavy or sad music hides her problem better.

Now her jumps are not that consistent, her disconnection from the music will be more obvious. If she skates clean, she can simply skate the entire program as she is taught. Through hard work, her steps, turns, jumps will match the music. But if she fall on her jumps, she has to pick up the music and actually listen to it to get back to the supposed place.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Yulia is still young and has room for a lot of artistic growth. She doesn't have to be locked in to a certain style. I really admire her for going out of her elegant box for her SP (especially since she is true to her typical style in her LP). If she is able to get the elements together and focus on performing, the SP is a great opportunity for her to expand her performance abilities and show her versatility as a skater. I would looooove to see her do this program well and look like she's having fun!

But the costume probably needs to go ;).

The SP is a risk, and the thing with risks is that they're risky; they don't always work. I think there are non-lyrical programs JL could excel at. For example, I could see her executing a jazz piece well. The first half of her program is just a difficult piece of music to breathe life and energy into.

Warwick360

Medalist
Is anyone else still a bit annoyed as I am with Radionova's new Titanic LP? It (the music edit) just sounds so blegh (for lack of a better expression).

I mean her Titanic could have been so Moulin Rouge like of Ashley's (in terms of story telling) from last year. If anyone's checked the soundtrack or atleast given it much notice while watching the movie, the soundtrack is so eclectic and much more than simply My Heart Will Go On.:slink: Her current edit almost sounds like the annoying ring tone on an alarm clock that used to be around in the 90s during Titanic heyday. :disapp:

For what I mean by eclectic, just check "Leaving Port" and "An Ocean of memories" to name two from the soundtrack. It's just so mesmerising and would probably go for any skater.

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
The SP is a risk, and the thing with risks is that they're risky; they don't always work. I think there are non-lyrical programs JL could excel at. For example, I could see her executing a jazz piece well. The first half of her program is just a difficult piece of music to breathe life and energy into.

I respect Julia for trying something new but maybe time is not right, she has enough on her plate now with adjusting to her new body, re-working a jump technique etc. I am not sure jazz would be right for her either – Julia is not a natural performer and too much of extrovert. I could see her in some mystical piece like Harry Potter or something like that.
IMHO Julia’s problem is mainly psychological – she has such high expectations of herself since Sochi that anything but the gold is perceived by her as the end of the world. Lots has been said about her rude behaviour at the K&C at Finlandia Trophy but when I watched it again I actually felt sorry for Julia. She is clearly not in a good place emotionally. It was not a disastrous skate but she was so tense like she was close to hysterics. If she could lower her own expectations, loosen up a bit, the rest would come in time.

Tatiana Tarasova speaks about Julia here:

http://doverennielitsa.ru/moskva/pe...-tarasova-ya-pozdravlyayu-yuliyu-lipnickuyu-s

Summary:

- Congratulations to Julia on a good start to the season
- The LP improved compared to the test skates (she mentions the change of music?)
- Difficult time for Julia but she will get there
- Place on Euro/World team not guaranteed there will be a battle
- The SP choreographed by Zueva is not very good/fitting and not difficult enough

Amer

Final Flight
Country
Italy
No, she doesn't... :confused:
I mean, she's not portraying any particular tones there, but doesn't seem out of rhythm either. Can't notice anything particularily glaring there. :unsure:
I'm becoming less and less a fan of Julia.
Both of her programs look exactly like every other program she's put out.
Same movements to music she's used in the past.
Zero connection to the music. Very boring to watch I'm afraid.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
IMHO Julia’s problem is mainly psychological – she has such high expectations of herself since Sochi that anything but the gold is perceived by her as the end of the world.

That is a good point. In addition, her LP from that season was so beloved that it is going to be hard for her team to come up with a program that will top it. I'd probably look at her programs a bit more favorably if I didn't think about how they compare to Schindler's List.

Barb

Record Breaker
Is anyone else still a bit annoyed as I am with Radionova's new Titanic LP? It (the music edit) just sounds so blegh (for lack of a better expression).

I mean her Titanic could have been so Moulin Rouge like of Ashley's (in terms of story telling) from last year. If anyone's checked the soundtrack or atleast given it much notice while watching the movie, the soundtrack is so eclectic and much more than simply My Heart Will Go On.:slink: Her current edit almost sounds like the annoying ring tone on an alarm clock that used to be around in the 90s during Titanic heyday. :disapp:

For what I mean by eclectic, just check "Leaving Port" and "An Ocean of memories" to name two from the soundtrack. It's just so mesmerising and would probably go for any skater.

Yes, it is horrible :disapp: