Boot question | Golden Skate

Boot question

RyanPB

Rinkside
I have a pretty simple question that I'm hoping someone can answer. I was wondering what the kind of boots are that the woman is holding on the home page of John Wilson Skating Blades. I cannot see a brand name but I'm wondering if they are custom boots but have a look if you want to see what I mean.

http://worldsbestblades.com/products/pattern-99-rev

Its actually the black figure skates that the man is holding in the background of this page when you scroll down. The ones with the swirl-like pattern in them. Are these custom skates or is this really a skate boot design that can be acquired. Thanks for any help. :)

Ryan

Last edited:

RyanPB

Rinkside
Ok, Ice Fly Edeas. Is there a Place where I can get a pair of those? They look really great :)

Pika

Final Flight
It's a brand very popular in figure skating so you can find Edeas in most of the skating stores if you're lucky to have one not too far. Or on all the websites selling skating stuff. But be aware that Ice Flys are skates for a high level. Maybe you should ask for some advice to qualified persons.
But the design of Edea skates is always the same, especially for the heel, not for the swirl-like pattern ;)

vlaurend

Final Flight
Edea boots are not like traditional leather boots, so you should only buy them from an authorized Edea dealer who knows how to fit them and spot heat mold them (they are not heat moldable like other heat moldable boots). The U.S. distributor is SkatesUS, so contact them with any questions or for distributors in your area: http://skatesus.com/ice/contact/

Having said that, the WORST possible way to choose a pair of skating boots is based on how they look. The Edea Ice Fly boots are for skaters doing triple jumps and will be too stiff for less advanced skaters. They are also extremely expensive. If this particular brand doesn't fit the shape of your foot, you're out at least $700, plus the cost of the blades, which probably won't fit other brands of boots (since Edea soles run shorter). Consult with a reputable skate fitter who knows which boot brands fit which foot shapes and what stiffness level is best for your skating level and body weight. Even better, consult with pros at two different skate shops, since different ones carry different brands.

Last edited:

Pika

Final Flight
plus the cost of the blades, which probably won't fit other brands of boots (since Edea soles run shorter). .

Seriously ? I didn't know that. Is the difference that important that you may have to change the blades when going from Edeas to another brand, even with a same size of boots ?

Of course choosing skates on how they look is a really bad idea. But Edea skates fit a lot of skaters, well in my country they are recommended very often, at any level (but especialy intermediate)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ok, Ice Fly Edeas. Is there a Place where I can get a pair of those? They look really great :)

Are you serious?! That's the ONLY reason you want them?

Ice Flys are designed for triples and quads. As in, the top level skaters who require more support for bigger, harder jumps. As in, think Max Aaron doing god-knows-how-many quads a training session, every day for months on end.

Anyone under a Senior level is going to be massively overbooted in these.

RyanPB

Rinkside
Are you serious?! That's the ONLY reason you want them?

Ice Flys are designed for triples and quads. As in, the top level skaters who require more support for bigger, harder jumps. As in, think Max Aaron doing god-knows-how-many quads a training session, every day for months on end.

Anyone under a Senior level is going to be massively overbooted in these.

Edeas motto is basically that you cannot be over-booted with this boot, so how could that be the case? I have seen many people saying these skates are great for intermediates.

loopy

Final Flight
I think if you are willing to spend the money on the skates and blades, why not? if they don't work out, you can always get a different pair of skates. I have seen little tykes come out with the best of everything from day one. Does it hurt them? I don't know, usually they are the kids with the most ice and coaching time so they look good quickly. If you want what you want and aren't hurting anyone else, I'm not going to stand in the way of a big sale. They are cool looking. It's like seeing people in expensive $2000 costumes who aren't at the qualifying level. Who does it hurt?

ice Fly's are advertised as being "almost impossible to overboot." :shrug: But I also think you should ALWAYS CONSULT WITH YOUR COACH!

Last edited:

vlaurend

Final Flight
Edeas motto is basically that you cannot be over-booted with this boot, so how could that be the case? I have seen many people saying these skates are great for intermediates.

In figure skating, "Intermediate" means a skater who has passed the Pre-Preliminary, Preliminary, Pre-Juvenile, Juvenile and Intermediate moves-in-the field and freestyle tests. You need to be able to land a double jump (2 revolutions in the air) and perform a flying camel spin and change-foot combination spin to pass the Intermediate freestyle test. Those competing at Intermediate level are landing all of the double jumps and sometimes double axels (2.5 revolutions in the air).