The BackFlip!... | Golden Skate

The BackFlip!...

S

Spree2spree

The BackFlip!...

hey there!...

i was just wondering why the ISU made a rule so that backflip could not be shown to the Amateur competitions such as World Championsships and European Champinships??:mad: ...

I really don't understand why...

kind raegards
Benji, Copenhagen:D

P

Ptichka

Re: The BackFlip!...

Well, originally they said it was because all jumps had to be landed on one foot. But that of course makes no sense since Surya did a 1-ft landing on her backflip. My guess it is just too acrobatic for the ISU.

S

Spree2spree

WHY WHY WHY!!!

why should it not be allowed to make a backflip!...there would be a whole lot more oppertunities if they made it legal to do backflips, and there would come more people to watch figure skating!...i think making the backflip an elegal element in figureskatin is one of the bad thing that ISU has desided the last 10 years!:mad: ...why not take it back and get a whole new crowd to watch figure skating!...maybe more boys and men to do figure skating...

what is your oppinion!..let me now!..

kind regards

M

mathman444

Re: WHY WHY WHY!!!

That's a good question, Benji -- and welcome to Golden Skate! We are always glad to have new members from Europe.

I wonder if maybe they thought that the backflip was too dangerous and they were afraid that children would injur themselves practicing it.(?)

Mathman

S

Spree2spree

i dont' know if i agree with your point of view mathman444....ofcorse it's dangerouse to do the backflip, but isn't i also dangerouse to do all kind of other sport...they get injured, but the same happens to Boxers, Footballplayer, Icehockey player...

Can't we all agree the Figure Skating isn't a girl sport...i think to show something as beautiful as a backflip could be very very great!!!..

B

berthes ghost

I think that the ISU tries to discourage showy moves that are croud pleasing but don't require great skill, like the back flip. Proper edging, a straight back, and powerful stroking may not draw a collective gasp from the audience, but they are what the judges are suppose to be looking for. Letting people like Surya do the back flip at the Olys would lead to nothing more than outraged accusation of "she waz robbed!" by casual fans who don't understand skating.

J

Joesitz

From my Trivia post:

If the back flip is landed on one foot as la Bonaly, I see no reason not to make it a legal jump. There is so much acrobatics in figure skating today (Bielman spin; 180 degree spin; all those carried lifts, etc.) why not allow the back flip in?

Joe

S

Show 42

Surya does indeed land her backflip most of the time on one foot, but I do believe one of the original objections was that the backflip was not allowed because of its two foot landing. 42

D

DORISPULASKI

The backflip was banned almost immediately after Terry Kubicka landed it. The stated reason was that a jump must take off and land on 1 foot and Kubicka's backflip didn't.

However, the 2footed lateral flip done by Bobrin, a single skater and husband of Natalia Bestiamanova (and called a bobrin) takes off and lands on 2 feet. It was never banned.

I think that Surya's one foot take off one foot landing flip ought to be legal, but requires a new name to distinguish it from an illegal back flip. Call it a bonaly. I don't know which edge she takes off on (and maybe neither does she) but the jump should then have the takeoff edge defined too. As other jumps, it must land on your usual landing foot on an outside edge.

(I hope someone takes up this cause. The more skating elements there are, the more varied programs can be.)

dpp

L

Ladskater

Spree2spree:

The backfilp is considered a show jump and an acrobatic move - not a legal skating jump. Many skaters learn it and add it to their repertoire especially when they turn pro. It is a real crowd pleaser and not every skater masters it. Skaters like to find "different" moves and add them to their programs for variety. They can get away with a lot more in show skating.

Ladskater

H

heyang

I believe that Brian Orser said that the back flip takes more nerve than skill - at least the standard one. He pointed out that a lot of people can do a back flip, but not many can do a Tano Lutz. Of course, he was lauding Brian Boitano who perfected the Tano Lutz and who cannot do a back flip.

As the other posters said, the back flip is not considered a jump because it doesn't take off from one foot and does not land on one foot. Suray's is the only stunt that could qualify as a jump (that I know of) and it is truly spectacular when done well. If hers could be ratified, it would be an advancement in thinking, but I don't think we'll see many people doing one.

K

Kzarah

The back flip like the Detroiter is what I call a circus move. It's a crowd pleaser at ice shows but it does not relate to figure skating like other moves. You take a look a lifts, It used to be that each lift had to resemble a jump used in figure skating and could not be rotated more that that jump can be rotated. For example in a Lassoo lift the lady is actually doing an axel. Years ago it could not be rotated more than two and a half turns. Now that the triple axel had been done the lady can be rotated over the man's head for three and one half turn. In a star lift, the lady actually enters with a Lutz or Toe loop take off. I believe that have slaked off with this rule.
Daniel and Little Lulu

J

Joesitz

Re: Re: The BackFlip!...

You guys are wanting to keep the back flip out of amateur competition yet you have no misgivings about all the other acrobatic moves. If figure skating is turning into <em>Cirque du Soleil.</em> what with over the top flexibility; quads and more quads; Skinning the Cat in Pairs, then lets have the back flip. You gotta have flexibility to do it.

Joe

I

Idleracer

[c]<font size=4><font color="#008000">19 years after winning an olympic bronze, Joe Sabovcik still has a thriving professional career thanks to this move. Regardless of whether or not it should be allowed in amateur competitions, it's not a bad idea to learn the move for professional reasons.<font size=2>

S

Spree2spree

I agree with you <strong>Joesitz</strong>, why shouldn't we make it possible for ad many skater to make as many acrobatic moves a possible!..

I don't get the point! why make the backflip illegal when you all say it's a crowd-cheerer!...In my country Denmark with a population of 5 million people, only 2000 do figureskating...if the backflip is a Crowd-cheere the interest for figureskating would be bigger! And i deffentnetly think that more men and boys would coma and join our wonderful sport!...:rollin:

Benji, Copenhagen

B

berthes ghost

Oh Please, I have 2 words for you: Philippe Candeloro.

Why not make taking your shirt off a requirement in the SP for Olys, after all, the audience loves it.

The back flip isn't taken seriously as a skating move for the same reason that Jackie Collins has never won a Nobel Prize for literature. Popular and good are not synonyms.

The ISU is in charge of bringing credibility to the sport afterall. Let Tom Collins worry about how to fill the seats. Last time I checked, it was the back flip filled pro scene that was DOA, not the high brow anti-croud-pleasing-gimics ISU circuit.

B

berthes ghost

"Of course, he was lauding Brian Boitano who perfected the Tano Lutz and who cannot do a back flip."

Can't or won't?

J

Joesitz

Doris - I like calling it a 'Bonaly'. She was the first to land it on one foot, and she deserves the credit. Also it would not get confused with the standard 'flip'.

So it would be a toe off as in a standard flip, sommersalt in mid air; land on one foot. That's the <span style="color:red;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:large;">BONALY</span>

Joe

S

Spree2spree

i can't agree with you <strong>berthes ghost </strong>, there's whole new oppertunities in figure skating by letting the backflip come into play! I don'r agree by letting it be an required element ad in SP, but in free program it could be great...

You should see the crowd here in Denmark at the Nationals!..you won't believe your eyes I telll you! :eek:

H

heyang

I read somewhere a long time ago that Boitano wanted to try the backflip, but couldn't work up the nerve. So, I don't know if it's can't or won't.

It's silly, but sometimes you just can't make your body do something - even stuff you've done before. I taught several of my friends how to do a basic dive into a swimming pool. Ever since the family trip to Florida, I can't make myself dive... no trauma in Fla, no near drownings, just a mental block.