Where there's never a boast or brag.
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
Keep your eye on the grand old flag.

History of Flag Day

4dk

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Spot on, 4dog........I nearly forgot........off to get my flag ready for tomorrow.........42

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
June 15th

It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 15th

The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed to maintain its sovereign control over the government.
-- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Trivia:
The Magna Carta was signed this date in 1215 by King John at Runnymede in England.
What is interesting to note is that our Declaration of Independence and Constitution is supposedly based on this 1215 document but in fact the American documents are based an evolved 18th century document.
Magna Carta
British Library site
Encarta - Magna Carta site

But there was a charter that predated the “Great Charter” and it is said to be the document on which the Magna Carta is based. No copies of this document exist. (Thomas Costain wrote an interesting novel, “Below the Salt”, dealing with the original Henry I document and the signing of the Magna Carta.)

“In his coronation charter (1100) Henry promised to remedy the alleged misrule of William II, this document was the first English royal charter of liberties, the ancestor of Magna Carta (1215). The king exploited his resources as feudal suzerain; yet in his reign occurred the beginning of the transformation of feudalism by the commutation of personal to financial service. The creation of the office of justiciar and the royal exchequer also constituted the first appearance of specialization in English government. Royal justice was brought to the local level by itinerant judges, and royal control over the kingdom was strengthened.
Although many barons objected to the severity of his rule, Henry gave peace, security, and stability to his country”

The above from http://www.hannahdustin.com/conqueror.htm
(Scroll down to 2, Henry I "Beauclerc" "King of England" Ruled: Bet. 1100 - 1135)

4dk

icenut84

Final Flight
"We all dream a lot. Some are lucky, some are not. But if you think it, want it, dream it, then it's real. You are what you feel." - Joseph & The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 17th

Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world.
-- Dave Barry

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 18th

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-- Dave Barry

4dk

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
June 19th

There are more pleasant things to do than beat up people.
Muhammad Ali (1942 - )

Lcp88

On the Ice
"Only with the heart can one see righty, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - St. Antoine Expeury

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
June 20th

The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.
David Friedman

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 21st

The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling through street grates.
-- Dave Barry

4dk

Lcp88

On the Ice
"Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about"- Unkown

Laura

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 23rd

There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.
-- George Carlin

4dk

Pookie

Final Flight
July 24th

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant."
-- Robert Louis Balfour Stevenson (1850-94)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
June 25th

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
Stephen Hawking (1942 - )

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
June 26th

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
Walter Lippmann (1889 - 1974)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
June 27th

There are worse things in life than death. Have you ever spent an evening with an insurance salesman?
Woody Allen (1935 - )

Last edited:

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 28th

The imperceptible process of age has a point which, once passed, cannot be retraced. I knew I had passed that point and was getting old the day I noticed that all the cops looked so young.
— Harry Lewis Golden

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 29th

You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.
-- Yogi Berra

4dk