Looking to buy some Edea Ice Fly skates, questions, please help. | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Looking to buy some Edea Ice Fly skates, questions, please help.

RyanPB

Rinkside
RyanPB

If your budget is really what you say it is. Why not get both? Get your Ice Flys or whatever you like for your flashy pair that will make you happy but go head and get an entry level pair as well. For the $1,500.00 you were talking about, you likely could get a sexy pair for $1,350.00 and designate 10% of that for a $150.00 pair of entry level learn to skate practical boots. I don't know if anyone gets two pairs of boots, so the differentness should suit you. But this way you are covered from all sides. If you are just having fun - wear your fun boots. If you are taking a lesson and actually trying to learn something, wear your practical ones. This would give you a chance to feel what people are talking about regarding over booted and what not. This would let you decide what does work for you and what does not. If the sexy boots are too much, then you have a pair that does work for you and you also would know what you need to work on to get to the point the sexy pair does work - you said you were willing to do that I think.

Right now I am using my own $180 pair of Jackson Mystiques I think. They are a one size fits all boot with a default Jackson blade that came already mounted onto the boot. They are heavy and most of the time hurt my feet when I skate. I can only imagine what having a comfortable pair of light-weight boots that have much better quality blades must be like when it comes to actual ice skating performance, so as far as buying a cheapo pair of beginner skates I am already in those. However, it sounds like to get a custom boot with a new blade it may even cost more than I was initially looking to spend, considering the cost of dying the leather boot as well as having a custom logo imprinted into the boot. I mean if I were going for something truly custom, even at a low level Harlick boot it sounds like these are going to cost a lot, which I don't mind paying as long as I am getting quality.

Just for reference I am looking to go to the Highland Arena Pro Shop in Shorline Washington to get the work done.

Last edited:

skatemomoftwo

Rinkside
Ice flys are used by non test and pre pre kids all over the place, so its really not an overboot. They really cant be overbooted, according to EDEA. You might want to save some bucks by going down a level from the Ice flys, Patrick Chan uses the lower level ones. It sounds like you are an adult, so you dont need to worry about growing feet.
I answered you on the other forum but I think Highland rink in seattle carries them. You should be fitted and they will take care of mounting. My son is in 290s and he wears a 12 tennis shoe.

RyanPB

Rinkside
Ice flys are used by non test and pre pre kids all over the place, so its really not an overboot. They really cant be overbooted, according to EDEA. You might want to save some bucks by going down a level from the Ice flys, Patrick Chan uses the lower level ones. It sounds like you are an adult, so you dont need to worry about growing feet.
I answered you on the other forum but I think Highland rink in seattle carries them. You should be fitted and they will take care of mounting. My son is in 290s and he wears a 12 tennis shoe.

That was quite a bit different than what someone earlier had said but I knew that was also the case especially with getting a custom fitted boot. I don't see how getting "over-booted" could be possible when getting a custom fit boot but alas, I digress.

vlaurend

Final Flight

Actually, Patrick Chan skates in Edea Concertos, which are not lower level than the Ice Flies, just have a different look and feel. They are also made for triple and quad jumps: http://www.skatesus.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=90_44&products_id=150 And the Ice Fly boot is the only one with the pretty swirl pattern so . . LOL!

That was quite a bit different than what someone earlier had said but I knew that was also the case especially with getting a custom fitted boot. I don't see how getting "over-booted" could be possible when getting a custom fit boot but alas, I digress.

Edea does not make custom boots. As for custom boots from Harlick, SPTeri or other manufacturers, it is *absolutely* possible to get over-booted if you don't have a knowledgeable person advising you on boot stiffness and features. My custom SP Teris are based in the KT-2's, which are made for double and triple jumps (and are much heavier boots than your Jacksons, BTW). Since I skate with deep edges and pressure, that stiffness is fine for me. However, a friend who was a less advanced skater decided she would get the same ones and she ended up having to sell them for a fraction of the cost because she couldn't break them in.

Last edited:

RyanPB

Rinkside
Actually, Patrick Chan skates in Edea Concertos, which are not lower level than the Ice Flies, just have a different look and feel. They are also made for triple and quad jumps: http://www.skatesus.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=90_44&products_id=150 And the Ice Fly boot is the only one with the pretty swirl pattern so . . LOL!

Edea does not make custom boots. As for custom boots from Harlick, SPTeri or other manufacturers, it is *absolutely* possible to get over-booted if you don't have a knowledgeable person advising you on boot stiffness and features. My custom SP Teris are based in the KT-2's, which are made for double and triple jumps (and are much heavier boots than your Jacksons, BTW). Since I skate with deep edges and pressure, that stiffness is fine for me. However, a friend who was a less advanced skater decided she would get the same ones and she ended up having to sell them for a fraction of the cost because she couldn't break them in.

That's crazy how just 2 days ago someone from EDEA was asking for my foot size and measurements so they could get me fitted for a custom boot, but they don't make custom boots? So if I were to have George Spterri fit me for a boot would that be considered qualified? Either him or someone he recommended to me directly. Pretty sure I will find someone qualified.

Last edited:

RyanPB

Rinkside
" Ice Fly boot is the only one with the pretty swirl pattern so . . LOL!" - this was just a weird comment to make. The white version might be "pretty" with its girly sparkles in it and what not, but the black boot, the one designed for a GUY, looks unique, which is why I want it in the first place. I plan on changing the boot color to red and modifying it even further so I don't know what you mean by a pretty looking boot. I am getting something for a guy.

christy

On the Ice
My understanding is that Edea make custom boots in Europe but not North America, unless things have changed since I called the US distributor a few months ago to ask.

MalAssada

Medalist
(S)he mistook your gender. I always tend to assume that the posters here are female, simply because it seems more females watch it than males. I also thought you were aiming for the Ice Fly because of the shiny crystals - that is why I suggested putting crystals in the heels. Sorry if it offended you.

The one thing that I think make black boots unique is the breathing it provides. Is that it?

RyanPB

Rinkside
I can accept a misunderstanding. :) I thought someone was knowingly making fun of me because I was a guy that wanted Ice Flys so no worries. I am not sure if they do make a custom boot in the US but I spoke to someone named Josh at EDEA and told him where I lived and he started asking me for measurements of my feet to send him. I do like the swirl pattern in the boot but I think I'll hold off on crystals. I am going to try to get the boot red while keeping the swirls black, and then add the MSI dragon and gaming logo to each boot too.

Last edited:

loopy

Final Flight
I'm confused. I thought Edea only came in black or white? Their website lists only two colors and no custom colors.

Edea are not custom boots in the US. They can heat mold them to your feet, but they don't build them for individuals like a custom skate. I can't find anything in the US that says differently.

Last edited:

RyanPB

Rinkside
I'm confused. I thought Edea only came in black or white? Their website lists only two colors and no custom colors.

Edea are not custom boots in the US. They can heat mold them to your feet, but they don't build them for individuals like a custom skate. I can't find anything in the US that says differently.

They do only do black or white and what is referred to as a custom fit is simply fitting the boot to match your foot shape and size perfectly. As far as any other means of customization that will have to be done at other places but you can take an Ice Fly to many many places to have custom work done on a boot at a professional level. The custom from EDEA itself is only matching the boot to your foot shape and size and only comes in white and black. If you wanted a red boot you could get a white boot and take it to a customization location and have it dyed red or any other color and have logos or whatever else implemented into the boot as well. :)

vlaurend

Final Flight
I can accept a misunderstanding. :) I thought someone was knowingly making fun of me because I was a guy that wanted Ice Flys so no worries. I am not sure if they do make a custom boot in the US but I spoke to someone named Josh at EDEA and told him where I lived and he started asking me for measurements of my feet to send him. I do like the swirl pattern in the boot but I think I'll hold off on crystals. I am going to try to get the boot red while keeping the swirls black, and then add the MSI dragon and gaming logo to each boot too.

I think you're better off getting custom boots from SP Teri or Harlick, but if you have your heart set on Edeas, at least make sure you get your feet measured by a professional fitter (assuming the person at Highland Ice Arena is a certified Edea fitter). Don't just measure your feet yourself and send the measurements in. Edeas are very tricky to fit, and I say this as someone who--unfortunately--got Edeas that didn't fit me quite right.

christy

On the Ice
You do realize that the Ice Fly isn't leather, nor is it a totally smooth surface, plus there's the bits of mesh. You'll need to factor those into any design you want and also what paints etc. can be used.

RyanPB

Rinkside
My heart isn't necessarily set on Ice Flys, just on having custom skates so if I can find something that looks and feels good, I'll probably go with that. :)

Loops

Rinkside
Then I would strongly encourage you to talk to Harlick and Avanta as well as SP-Teri. They'll help you get into boots that look the way you want and are an appropriate stiffness for your level. Nothing will kill your enjoyment of skating quicker than horribly painful boots, regardless of how good they look.

RyanPB

Rinkside
I actually just tried hockey skates for the first time yesterday and they are SUPER comfortable, plus pretty fast too. I was flying over the ice in those yesterday.

loopy

Final Flight
Yes, if you aren't going to jump or spin hockey skates are SO comfortable. Plus they have the sporty look you are looking for.

RyanPB

Rinkside
True, but I am only not jumping or spinning yet. That doesn't necessarily mean I don't intend to, but I also do not intend to be all graceful and glassy like a girl out there either. If I jump and spin its gonna be like a guy jump and a guy spin, not like a girl tho... :/

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
True, but I am only not jumping or spinning yet. That doesn't necessarily mean I don't intend to, but I also do not intend to be all graceful and glassy like a girl out there either. If I jump and spin its gonna be like a guy jump and a guy spin, not like a girl tho... :/

Wow. What a load of utterly sexist, ignorant, ridiculous rubbish.