Looking to buy some Edea Ice Fly skates, questions, please help. | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Looking to buy some Edea Ice Fly skates, questions, please help.

RyanPB

Rinkside
I don't see how in any way saying that I don't want to do things like a woman would do them is in any way sexist... ice skating is more so a woman's thing even on a statistical basis the same way that working in a hair salon would be. It isn't sexist to point out an apparent fact but obviously I offended you personally somehow so I apologize. It still doesn't make any sense to me why someone would leave such a response. It seems a lot more to me like a sign of immaturity to say something like that. If trying to create a bunch of drama is what you're after please take that somewhere else. I don't think anyone here is interested.

uhh

Medalist
Women play hockey, men do figure skating, the type of boots you wear won't define whether what you do is "girly". Even if you want to do "guy jumps" (although I have no idea what you mean by that), you need figure skates with a toe pick.

RyanPB

Rinkside
Since I've been starting in hockey skates it seems like I can jump just fine. If you are trying to tell me that there is no difference between how a woman and how a man skates... come on. I appreciate the difference between a man and a woman in more ways than one. I just mean that when I skate I won't have the same characteristics in my skating as a woman would have and I shouldn't because I am a man, but saying that its sexist to say that there is a difference between a man and a woman is actually ridiculous.

gkelly

Record Breaker
You will move like a man because you are a man. You'll move like yourself.

If you want to play hockey or learn hockey-style skating skills, you'd be better off using hockey skates.
If you want to learn figure skating skills, including figure skating jumps, you'd be better off using figure skates.

If you're not sure yet what you want to do with your skating and just want to learn some basics and play around and have fun, use whatever you're comfortable with now. There are advantages and disadvantages to both figure and hockey skates for beginner learning purposes.

If you later decide you want to learn figure skating skills beyond the basics -- if you want to hold edges on one foot, learn all the different three turns, learn to spin on one foot and maybe in different positions, learn standard figure skating jumps -- you would need to use figure skating equipment to have much success.

It's possible to jump up in the air on hockey skates. As a beginner, you can do two-footed jumps or jumps without rotation on either kind of skate. You might even learn waltz jumps and maybe even some other single jumps on hockey skates, but you'll be more likely to fall because hockey blades aren't designed for holding landing edges -- or for takeoff edges for that matter. I have seen it done, by advanced hockey skaters who probably also had had some figure skating training in their youth, or by advanced figure skaters who are also comfortable in hockey skates -- not by beginners.

If you want to learn toe jumps (toe loops, flips, lutzes), you really need a figure skating blade with a toepick.

RyanPB

Rinkside
Can somebody actually do a full flip on the ice? That would be amazing! For practice I will use my figure skates while when I want to speed skate or just have fun with it I will use my hockey ones. Now I really want to see someone do a full flip on the ice, that would be awesome!

Last edited:

christy

On the Ice
Can somebody actually do a full flip on the ice? That would be amazing! For practice I will use my figure skates while when I want to speed skate or just have fun with it I will use my hockey ones. Now I really want to see someone do a full flip on the ice, that would be awesome!

I know loads of people who can do a flip on ice...... some can even do doubles.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Flip jump (back inside edge takeoff with toepick assist):
Single (with instruction)

Double

Triple

Quadruple (underrotated, two-footed)

Backflips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHhjwOPukL8
This is a fairly common show move, not allowed in competition. There have been several threads discussing it in The Edge folder.

One-foot landing, into a jump: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mVVy25e-vk

With a twist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEGo1yPK-48

I'm not aware of anyone doing a double backflip on ice. Sounds dangerous.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Men and women do the same jumps. The SAME. Men take the triple Axel and the quad one step further than the ladies, but everything below that is the same. With the exception of the layback, due to the majority of women being naturally more flexible than men, they also do the same spins, and there are some men who can do laybacks.

It takes supreme strength and control to skate with the elegance and grace you shun and scorn, and training beyond the like of which your narrow mind can possibly imagine. Figure skaters are among the strongest, fastest, fittest, most nimble athletes in the world - and they have to make it look easy. The "girl" skaters you scorn could kick your backside, and the male skaters you scorn for "skating like girls" could do it just as well.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I find absolutely nothing wrong with distinguishing the difference between a man and a woman. I'm not a proponent of gender neutralization in the least. This doesn't mean I don't see the merit in men who skate more feminine or vice versa....it just means I find a certain distinction between the sexes to be non offensive. In fact...it's just plain and simple nature.

FWIW: I always hold the door open for a lady and am less likely to do so for a man. Especially in the instance I know them:p

Last edited:

davincisoprano

Rinkside
Here's a man, skating with grace and elegance, while still looking "masculine". This man also choreographed Jason Brown's Olympic program.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCwLSuBp9wo

There's no rule how a man should or shouldn't skate.
On the opposite side of the spectrum, is Scott Hamilton in one of my favorite programs by him, bonus it includes the backflip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f52WQYoNEY

With that said, it's best you don't try those jumps by learning on youtube, and rather investing in lessons. There's a progression to jumps and teaching yourself can lead to bad habits and injuries.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I find absolutely nothing wrong with distinguishing the difference between a man and a woman. I'm not a proponent of gender neutralization in the least. This doesn't mean I don't see the merit in men who skate more feminine or vice versa....it just means I find a certain distinction between the sexes to be non offensive. In fact...it's just plain and simple nature.

FWIW: I always hold the door open for a lady and am less likely to do so for a man. Especially in the instance I know them:p

Talk about :hijacked:, to which I will of course contribute.
I don't think anyone says the genders aren't different genders. As a woman of a certain age, I'm happy to walk through an open door. I also am happy to open my own.
But too often "skate like a man" has been used as code words for something far more malignant. And to disparage skaters like my beloved Toller (I know you're younger, trust me, word was he just didn't skate like, well, a man. He did all those girly moves!) or Jason or Misha Ge. Unfortunately, in skating, the words have loaded connotations.
But I'm learning a lot about Edeas, which I couldn't identify if you laced them on my feet:laugh2:

RyanPB

Rinkside
First of all, Karne, you seem to make a lot of assumptions about me when in all actuality you know nothing about me at all. I don't know anything about you but from the way you talk about me I don't think I want to kno0w you either. You sound pretty negative in your opinions. You're one of those people that makes sure the people who are the best at what they do sound like they regularly walk over the top of anyone else below them. As I said, you don't know anything about me and I'm willing to bet that if you met me I would out do you in just about everything if for no other reason that I keep a positive attitude opinion about life. I think i'll go ahead and pass on any more of your opinions, thanks.

Last edited:

loopy

Final Flight
i would like to add that gkelly has been very helpful and provided excellent technical information and advice.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's keep the sexist comments at bay. Although it could have been worded better, I think we all understand what the original poster is trying to express.

RyanPB

Rinkside
I agree, there has been some very great advice coming out of this topic. I have been learning a lot so far so thank you very much :)

Can somebody actually do a full flip on the ice? That would be amazing!

If you mean a back flip, the queen is French lady Surya Bonaly.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ec/41/d8/ec41d85f8cb1c6d86cf6fc853439c8c2.jpg

She was the first, and as far as I know the only, person who could do a back flip and land on a proper outside edge. She could even do a back flip followed by a triple Salchow jump in combination.

Slovakian skater Joe Sabovcik is the only skater I have ever seen do a back flip in full layout position. He still does it in shows, at age 50.

When Scott Hamilton turned pro after winning the Olympics he asked his financial people how much it would be worth to his career as a show skater if he could master the back flip. They told him, about a million bucks. Scott set to work and featured the move in his exhibitions for 20 years. :)

gkelly

Record Breaker
If you mean a back flip, the queen is French lady Surya Bonaly.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ec/41/d8/ec41d85f8cb1c6d86cf6fc853439c8c2.jpg

She was the first, and as far as I know the only, person who could do a back flip and land on a proper outside edge. She could even do a back flip followed by a triple Salchow jump in combination.

Actually, she lands on the back inside edge of her left foot -- that's what allows her to do the salchow immediately afterward. So she lands it like a one-foot axel or half-loop or any other "wrong-foot" landing jump.

She does, however, land it on one foot on a flowing edge, which most backflippers do not.

Slovakian skater Joe Sabovcik is the only skater I have ever seen do a back flip in full layout position.

Robin Cousins used to do a layout backflip as well.

Here's a video that may be of interest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orbdB3REL6w

RyanPB

Rinkside
I wonder if it would be possible to do a backflip while continuing forward, so that you are skating forward, and do a backwards flip, but keep skating forward. <<<<<^><<<<<
Usually I see someone do a backwards flip but skating forwards and doing a backflip without going backwards at all or losing any ground and landing to continue forward seems like it would take a hell of a lot of momentum and body strength.

Or in any case you could do it just the opposite way, skating backwards while doing a front flip but continuing skating backwards at the landing.
>>>>>>^<>>>>>>

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Given that no one who is an elite skater and also a good enough gymnast to do backflips on ice has ever done so, I would say the answer is No.

Keep in mind that only one of the six standard skating jumps takes off skating forward, and that ice backflips all use a toepick assist which is not possible for a forward-takeoff jump. The direction of the glide (skating) going into the flip will affect which way it's possible to generate vertical rotation, as do the shape of the human foot and the design of the skating blades.

In theory it might be possible to design special blades that would allow acrobats to do forward flips or backflips from forward skating while gliding on ice, but such special flip blades would probably not be much use for figure skating.

That said, I do think that what you describe can be possible as lifts/assisted jumps with one skater helping another to get up into the air and to land safely.