What is Your Favorite Musical Instrument | Golden Skate

What is Your Favorite Musical Instrument

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
My favorite musical instrument to listen to and to play is the piano. I love other instruments as well:

The violin, flute, cello, oboe and Harp, but the piano is the instrument that really draws me in.

I :love: listening to Beethoven, Mozart, Clementi, Schubert and Schuman, Bach, Rachmanioff and Chopin piano sonatas and concertos.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I love the violin and the flute. I liked classical music before skating, but developed a passion for it with skating...I am always looking for new skate music.

A couple of treasures that I have discovered of late are Pavane by Faure (James Galway on the flute), and Nocturne by Chopin (violin played by Josh Bell).

And I am not musically educated, but trying...so If I messed up with titles or composers, I apologize (but I am pretty sure that I got it right).

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Glacierskater:

Yes, I have some recordings of James Galway on the flute and also accompanied with the harp and I love Joshua Bells playing! Excellent taste!

I forgot to mention I also love Debussy.

Thanks!!!

RoaringMice

On the Ice
To play, it's the violin. To listen to, I like the violin, a big horn section (so that's trumpets, saxes, etc.) and the electric base guitar. I dislike the flute to play or to listen to. It's a rare flute piece that I enjoy.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
At the moment, the violin. I could listen to Edvin Marton non stop. (Oh, wait, I already do that...) :D

I played guitar in a band called Vermin while I was in high school (it was the 80s...), and there's a German guitarist named Michael Schenker who is an absolute genius on the guitar. I wanted to play like him, but, alas, never even got close.

Laura :)

Ladskater

Record Breaker
PrincessLeppard:

Have you heard of British violinist Nigel Kennedy? His rendition of Meditation from Thias by Jules Massenet would make you weep. Stunning.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm very loyal to brass and percussion... I loved pep band in high school... and John Williams is my favorite composer...

Trumpet and Euphonium(ie Baritone) are my biggest favorites... mostly because I played both of them in Jr. High and High School

bronxgirl

Medalist
Piano and cello. I played both in my younger days, and now greatly appreciate those who have mastered those instruments (Clearly I didn't! :) )

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
My favorite instrument to listen to has always been the violin. It makes anything beautiful to me! Princess Leppard, I definitely agree with you on Edvin Marton. I got his "Strings and Beats" CD 2 weeks ago and I can't stop listening to it! He plays the violin so beautifully. I also enjoy the piano at times and the flute on occassion.

mpal2

Final Flight
I used to love playing the piano but I don't have time or a piano anymore. I love listening to piano, violin and guitar. Most string instrument sound beautiful to me.

Antilles

Medalist
I love to listen to violins and bagpipes. Of course, I like all music in general and will listen to just about anything.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I play the piano and the audioharp. I love the sounds of a violin, bass saxaphone and most percussion instruments........42

Lynn226

On the Ice
Instruments I've played: piano, trombone, trumpet, euphonium.

I still love brass instruments and I love the Canadian Brass, but I'm most at home on my piano bench. I started playing trombone again after a 10 year + hiatus and I enjoyed it, but I couldn't wait to get a piano again. It was too hard to have one in my apartment for many years, but now I have a digital. I just did a recital a few weeks ago. I played a Musette by Bach (my favorite composer to play, but maybe not to listen to) and I received some nice compliments.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Piano My dh was a pianist/ teacher. Before his recitals, he would spend hours practicing everyday. We rarely got to hear him play anything all the way through at home. It was always play for a bit/ stop and swear for a bit/ play/ swear etc Now those pieces just bring some colorful words to mind. lol

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Ladskater said:
PrincessLeppard:

Have you heard of British violinist Nigel Kennedy? His rendition of Meditation from Thias by Jules Massenet would make you weep. Stunning.

I will definitely check that out!

Bronze, I'm glad you like Edvin's CD, it's marvelous, isn't it? I've been told by his manager (via email) that Edvin's new CD will be available to us peons in the US soon. They are not putting this one on amazon.com, alas. :cry:

Laura :)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
PrincessLeppard said:
At the moment, the violin. I could listen to Edvin Marton non stop. (Oh, wait, I already do that...) :D

I played guitar in a band called Vermin while I was in high school (it was the 80s Laura :)
Laura, I totally agree about Edvin Marton. I now have a new appreciation for the violin.

I studied classical guitar but had to give it up due to carpel tunnel.:cry: :cry:

My brother is an organist, so out of sisterly love, I like organ music. When my brother was learning to play, he would practice scales on the piano. Up the scale, down the scale, up the scale, down the scale and then up the scale and down the scale. :eek: :laugh: :laugh: It was maddening but he is a very good organist.

Dee