Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Belmont is on Saturday-?Triple Crown

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar

Thumbs up The Belmont is on Saturday-?Triple Crown

Will Saturday be the day of coronation for my favorite colt Smarty Jones? Think of it, 3 crowns perched atop that gorgeous forelock.

Run, Smarty, Run!

Custom Title
    I'm all set for the party but I have to get through Gymnastics Nationals and the National Spelling Bee first. See everyone on Saturday.

Sal-Kowabunga!
    No 3yr old has won the Triple Crown in so long it has become a almost a given that we'll be disappointed again. Since he's not a thespian, I guess "break a leg" is completely inappropriate!

Anyway, poor Smarty will undoubtedly lose sometime. I just hope it isn't on Saturday. I want a Triple Crown winner crowned!

On the Ice
    I sure hope he does!

I get so excited every year when the TC rolls around. This year seems the most promising yet. Heck, I cried when he won the Preakness. I was screaming like a kid on a rollercoaster, too!

I don't know what I'll do if he wins the Belmont!

Unfortunately, I have to work after the Belmont - I made sure to not be scheduled DURING the race, but I know I'm either going to want to go out & celebrate, or drown my sorrows

But I will be online the second its over to join the Smarty Party, no matter what!

guinevere

ps - for once, being on the West Coast has its advantages, telecast-wise!

spending a day at Belmont can be a most pleasant experience. Just watching those thorogbreds parade around the Paddock before their Race is such a beautiful site.

It would be great if Smarty wins but he pulled post position 9 which means he has to cut in sharply from the start. I think he can do it.

Joe

On the Ice
    The outside post is not necessarliy a bad thing. Gives a colt time to settle in and rate. They also don't have to worry about what's going on on their right side.

Smarty had the 13th post in the Derby and won by two and a half lengths over a field many believe much stronger than those in the Belmont.

My fingers and toes have been crossed for a week and half!

Go Smarty!

Custom Woman
    Smarty Jones just creamed the field so much at both the Derby and Preakness that I'm letting myself get my hopes all the way up even if I might be in for a massive let-down. I was 17 when Secretariat won the Triple Crown in 1973. Then Seattle Slew took it in '77 and Affirmed in '78. I just figured Triple Crown winners, though a big deal, would come along every few years or so.

Boy, was I ever wrong! It's been 26 years since Affirmed and before Secretariat (oh, man, that was a stupendous horse), there hadn't been a Triple Crown winner since Citation in 1948 (25 years for those of us who aren't Mathman).

Anyway, I looked it up and here's the list of Triple Crown winners. It was 11 years between 1919's Sir Barton and 1930's Gallant Fox. They're pretty evenly spread out between 1930 and 1948 (was there something about the Depression and WWII that made for Triple Crown winners, not to mention Seabiscuit?), then the run of three in the '70s, then the looong dry spell.

If Smarty Jones does win the Belmont (remember, it's a long race and has undone many a TC favorite who has won the Derby and Preakness) and the Crown, man, there will be some partying on Saturday night.

TRIPLE CROWN WINNERS
    1919 Sir Barton
    1930 Gallant Fox
    1935 Omaha
    1937 War Admiral
    1941 Whirlaway
    1943 Count Fleet
    1946 Assault
    1948 Citation
    1973 Secretariat
    1977 Seattle Slew
    1978 Affirmed

Hey, Bronxgirl. Plush looks like he's got a nice forlock on him in your avatar. No doubt it's common to thoroughbreds.
    R-Go Smarty-girl
    Last edited by Rgirl; 06-03-2004 at 04:01 PM.

Originally posted by Rgirl

Hey, Bronxgirl. Plush looks like he's got a nice forlock on him in your avatar. No doubt it's common to thoroughbreds.
    R-Go Smarty-girl
    You didn't think I picked that avatar just because of that devilish grin

Custom Title
    TRIPLE CROWN WINNERS
    1919 Sir Barton
    1930 Gallant Fox
    1935 Omaha
    1937 War Admiral
    1941 Whirlaway
    1943 Count Fleet
    1946 Assault
    1948 Citation
    1973 Secretariat
    1977 Seattle Slew
    1978 Affirmed
    Of those, I saw Affirmed, Seattle Slew, and Secretariat. I love Affirmed and Seattle Slew, but I think Secretariat is the greatest horse who ever ran in the Triple Crown races.

Originally posted by A.H.Black
    Of those, I saw Affirmed, Seattle Slew, and Secretariat. I love Affirmed and Seattle Slew, but I think Secretariat is the greatest horse who ever ran in the Triple Crown races.
    I saw those three as well. I thought that Affirmed had the most exciting races as Alydar was a truly worthy rival, Secretariat was the greatest horse, but it seems that Seattle Slew, the horse that was purchased for only $17,000, probably has had the biggest influence on the breed through his success as a sire.

I am very nervous, very scared.

Friday, Seven Moons, a daughter of Sunday Silence, is running in an allowance at Belmont. Sunday won the 1989 Kentucky Derby and Preakness.

Magical Illusion is runnig in the Acorn on Friday. She's a half to Shah Jehan.

Shark (Danzig x Surfside) is making her racing debut at Churchill Downs Saturday.

Sundrop, a daughter of Sunday Silence, is running in the Epsom Oaks in England.

Home Court (Storm Cat x Jewel Princess) is running at Arlington on Sunday

Johar,
    Deep breath, focus, none of them will be facing Smarty in the Belmont. Repeat after me, deep breath, focus, none of them will be facing Smarty in the Belmont

Tripping on the Podium
    Originally posted by bronxgirl
    I saw those three as well. I thought that Affirmed had the most exciting races as Alydar was a truly worthy rival, Secretariat was the greatest horse, but it seems that Seattle Slew, the horse that was purchased for only $17,000, probably has had the biggest influence on the breed through his success as a sire.
    I think I remember reading that the offspring of Secretariat's daughters have been fairly successful, and that's where his effectiveness as a sire is seen, rather than through his direct offspring. Although I do remember a daughter of Secretariat, Lady's Secret, having a pretty good racing career.

Go Smarty!

True, having Secretariat as a maternal grandsire does seem to help with "dosing" and has produced some fine horses as well. Lady's Secret was the best of his fillies (IMO), but I still believe that Slew had a wider and more profound effect through all of his offspring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast