Programs for a 16-17 year old skater | Golden Skate

Programs for a 16-17 year old skater

coppertop1

On the Ice
So, this is a hypothetical scenario, not based on any skater in particular. i'm just curious to see what people think.

What type of program or music would you suggest (SP and LP) for a 16-17 year old who is looking to raise her PCS score. She is a natural jumper with a youthful and energetic style. She has good skating skills and skates with a lot of speed. She isn't balletic but she has a nice feel for her music. Her build is similar to Liza T.

Any thoughts?

loopy

Final Flight
Music she would relate to best would help with PCS. It takes a long time for my skater to find music she loves, she has to go out and ad lib to a final couple of songs to decide. The best raise in her PCS though comes from having her coaches talk to each other and make suggestions the the one who does the choreography. Also the coach doing the choreography lets my skater choreograph small segments on her own. This really helps her to feel her program is really her own. I think she could do as well with any music as long as the transitions are difficult and she gets some say in the program and good advice from solid coaches.

If you are looking for a style of music, I think skaters can really skate to a huge variety right now if they skate it well. That is why skater buy in on the choice is important.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really like the music from Piña. It's fun..fiery..and carries a sophisticated and classy sound. Even though a lot of skaters are using it I think it offers a really good opportunity to be creative and own it in your own way.

http://youtu.be/dWIs89Pub0w

coppertop1

On the Ice
What counts as transitions, exactly? Any in between moves in the choreography?

Wasn't Lilies of the Valley Jeremy Abbot's SP for 2013-14

coppertop1

On the Ice
Thanks! I always wondered what went into the component marks. It seems like so many little things can really add up. If this skater had a variety of turns like brackets, rockers, etc in the program and spirals and spread eagles, for example, that would raise the PCS mark because of the use of transition

mskater93

Record Breaker
Not necessarily. It's not just quantity but also quality of the turns. I've seen people throw all kinds of turns into their choreo with very little meaning and of fairly low quality.

coppertop1

On the Ice
Yeah, I get that as it should be. But well-executed turns and transitions into and out of jumps and during the step sequences can help the programs

vlaurend

Final Flight
So, this is a hypothetical scenario, not based on any skater in particular. i'm just curious to see what people think.

What type of program or music would you suggest (SP and LP) for a 16-17 year old who is looking to raise her PCS score. She is a natural jumper with a youthful and energetic style. She has good skating skills and skates with a lot of speed. She isn't balletic but she has a nice feel for her music. Her build is similar to Liza T.

Any thoughts?

Off the top of my head, something like The Pink Panther or The Sorcerer's Apprentice could be good for her style. Take a look at some programs similar skaters have skated to successfully. Joannie Rochette was also athletic as well as beautiful, and always had good music choices for her style. I'd also look at anything Courtney Hicks has skated to, since she is an energetic, athletic skater. Having said that, I also agree with Loopy. When a skater loves and feels a piece of music, she skates it better than something someone arbitrarily chose for her.

Last edited:

coppertop1

On the Ice
I agree, too, that music a skater likes is better than one chosen. That's one advantage I can see now with lyrics. I remember Urmanov skating to Beatles during exhibitions with more enthusiasm than his usual classic style. For one it will help with phrasing if you enjoy it you will put more interpretation into it.