Chan v. Hanyu: 2015-16 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Chan v. Hanyu: 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo

Final Flight
why are you talking about bv + goe (i.e. Tes) when in 2012 they were basically tied in tes (88.56 patrick vs. 88.16 daisuke) and patrick won the fs by receiving almost 5 points more in pcs?
http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2012/seg006.htm

This! And anyone call tell that Takahashi had better performance, interpretation and choreography. Btw, Patrick's program was a complete snoozefest with a huge mistake. It's no wonder people can't relate emotionally to Patrick, as Jenny said in the TSL video. He's gorgeous (sometimes), but so artificial, so calculated, and when he opens his mouth, ouch...I try so hard to like him for real, but it's difficult. Plushenko is also a bit cocky sometimes, but in a charming way, and anyway, he's a living legend who hits and performs the hell out of his (sometimes cheesy and almost ugly) programs.

Last edited:

robredo40

On the Ice
By the time we Get to Pyeongchang Nam Nguyen will have surpassed both honestly, not a fan of either but if hard pressed i prefer Chan overall i feel the judges have been overscoring Hanyu lately i just can never get into Hanyu`s programs for some reason, Chan is the best skater bar none his skating skills are second to none.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
By the time we Get to Pyeongchang Nam Nguyen will have surpassed both honestly, not a fan of either but if hard pressed i prefer Chan overall i feel the judges have been overscoring Hanyu lately i just can never get into Hanyu`s programs for some reason, Chan is the best skater bar none his skating skills are second to none.

:laugh2:

Warwick360

Medalist
I hadn't watched the WC2012 Vid of Daisuke before. So beautiful. :love:

Hadn't watched it because I wasn't a huge follower of him or of figure skating for that matter. Although I have searched/watched frequently for his layback combo lately.

What I had watched from the day of inception however was the vid of Patrick Chan screwing up and the priceless Euro commentary and booing that followed. :p https://youtu.be/QuJfGH4bFTM?t=7m45s

But then again who could blame me for not caring about anyone else? (although was a big fan of Javi even back then)
https://youtu.be/E2ejAjIFkfo?t=3m18s :love:

sses1

On the Ice

Um. . . Nam will be lucky to even pass Chan nevermind Hanyu that's just common sense. He skates so slow/his edge work is not impressive whatsoever and Nam has even worse spins than Patrick:laugh2:

Chan will likely still be the best skater in terms of SS but Hanyu has surpassed him on TES and its not like he doesn't have a PCS cushion as well. I'm not so sure there even needs to be a debate on this matter. Yes Chan can still win medals but with his age, problem 3A and lack of 4S he can't really win against those that have all those things and more.

robredo40

On the Ice
Hanyu didn`t land a single quad at worlds 2015, and 2014 wasn`t very impressive i doubt Chan would ever lose to a skater like Fernandez at a major competition like Worlds , Hanyu just got Lucky at the olympics Chan just couldn`t handle the enormous pressure to be Canada`s first olympic gold medalist he had the gold on a silver platter after the hanyu splatfest, with less pressure this year i think Chan will show us the full extent of his talent and blow away Hanyu at worlds.

sses1

On the Ice
Hanyu didn`t land a single quad at worlds 2015, and 2014 wasn`t very impressive i doubt Chan would ever lose to a skater like Fernandez at a major competition like Worlds , Hanyu just got Lucky at the olympics Chan just couldn`t handle the enormous pressure to be Canada`s first olympic gold medalist he had the gold on a silver platter after the hanyu splatfest, with less pressure this year i think Chan will show us the full extent of his talent and blow away Hanyu at worlds.

And Chan said he thought Sochi would be less stressful than Vancouver, and look what happened. Hanyu's issues at Worlds were a result of inadequate training because of injuries, not because he can't land quads. And Hanyu was able to win the Olympics because of his more complicated jump layout, one which Chan could and can probably never execute consistently in competition anyway. Plus, Hanyu has shown growth this season in his skating so he isn't regressing.

Hanyu has one of the best coaches in the world while Chan has a DANCER FOR A COACH.
Chan apparently did not complete any 3A's at champs camp which probably means he has not recovered the jump and its likely worse than it was before.
Chan is 24 years old.
Hanyu is 20.

I could just keep going on and on with reasons why it is seriously unlikely that Chan will beat Hanyu when it matters.

sses1

On the Ice
I think there isn't one pressure player in the bunch.

(See 2014 Olympic Men's Event)

Ya but that wasn't necessarily a normal event. Come on. They were all probably still tired from the team event or there must have been some bad energy in that building because no one looked good. Anyway, I don't think those performances are indicative of the types of pressure that these skaters can withstand. Hanyu= COC. Like people have already said: he has some serious mental fortitude.

Ophelia

Record Breaker

Like how Chan blew him away at GPF 2014? Stay pressed.

Hanyu came really close to breaking the LP WC at GPF 2015, and that was when he wasn't in his peak form too.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Ya but that wasn't necessarily a normal event. Come on. They were all probably still tired from the team event or there must have been some bad energy in that building because no one looked good. Anyway, I don't think those performances are indicative of the types of pressure that these skaters can withstand. Hanyu= COC. Like people have already said: he has some serious mental fortitude.

I think there isn't one pressure player in the bunch.

(See Patrick at the 2013 Worlds, Denis at the beginning of every season, Javier in the GPF last year & Skate Canada, and Hanyu at NHK 2015/Worlds 2014/Worlds 2015)

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
Denis and Javi will take 2 top spots in any order, and then Hanyu and Chan will fight for the bronze =P

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i have doubts about javier right now... but I think Denis will come out strong... i am afraid yuzu is trying to do too much.... Chan will be beautiful as always... i see Nam being a trouble maker ;) i'd go for these 5 guys for the top 5 but that wouldn't surprise anyone... except plushies fan
Denis and Javi will take 2 top spots in any order, and then Hanyu and Chan will fight for the bronze =P

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
wow... so disrespectful again... you don't need to agree with people but a simple :laugh2: is rather rude... maturity is a very good quality to have

Oh, well. I thought it was a ridiculously hilarious prediction, since Nam is no where near the level of even Jason Brown or Joshua Farris, even if he does have a quad. I will say Shoma will pose more of a threat than Nam. We'll see just who's laughing in three years. Of course, if robredo40 is correct I'll apologize. Maybe you can bookmark it and take it upon yourself to remind me...

dasani

On the Ice
wow... so disrespectful again... you don't need to agree with people but a simple :laugh2: is rather rude... maturity is a very good quality to have

Hmmmm.....maturity.....i was wondering what post #47 was about too? :p

I do agree maturity is a good quality to have though! :yay:

ETA: Geez reading some comments on this thread makes me feel like we have a very pathetic field of men to expect for this season. I am glad to say that I'm very excited for the Men's competition! Yay to Chan vs Hanyu especially! If this face-off pushes them to be better skaters at the competition, I think it's a win-win for us! :cheer:

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have a feeling that Fernandez will continue training hard this season, the WC champion title surely giving him extra boost. My guess is though that again he will be at his best at Worlds and not in fall competitions.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I have a feeling that Fernandez will continue training hard this season, the WC champion title surely giving him extra boost. My guess is though that again he will be at his best at Worlds and not in fall competitions.

Hanyu and Chan can be too at their best at Worlds and Ten too

Florencito

Medalist

I really want him to win the GPF in Barcelona :slink:
Last year the pressure got him and that SP was so painful to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.