Asada v. Tuktamysheva: 2015-16 | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Asada v. Tuktamysheva: 2015-16

moriel

Record Breaker
well she could have also been tired. but it's kind of like finishing marathon strongly vs barely walking the finishing line. the former is a bit more honorable.

and she did lots of hand downs and 3 turns out of her jumps this season.

There is no honorable, you finish it the way you can.
Not honorable would be to say "i'm tired, screw worlds, i'm taking a break and going to the beach"

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
well she could have also been tired. but it's kind of like finishing marathon strongly vs barely walking the finishing line. the former is a bit more honorable.

and she did lots of hand downs and 3 turns out of her jumps this season.
But she did sprint to the finish line, unless you're applying super picky standards. What with landing the 3A for the first time in a major competition at Worlds, skating the rest of the SP clean (also the only woman at Worlds to do the 3-3 in the second half, btw) and (mostly) landing seven triples in the LP. Yes, I wish she'd skated her Europeans LP at Worlds, but it was by no means a weak performance (and better than her SA/CoC/Nationals LPs).

My point is, problems started this year, not last year.

There is no honorable, you finish it the way you can.
Not honorable would be to say "i'm tired, screw worlds, i'm taking a break and going to the beach"
...Stolbova/Klimov shade? (I'm sorry! S/K fans, I don't hate them, I swear!! My brain just... went there.)

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
well look at patrick chan, he's got better skating skills than mao and he still puts in transitions. just because you have a reputation doesn't mean you should just have an empty program and call it "minimalist art."

have you seen fan cams of mao during the FS at sochi? she is shockingly slow. back then she didn't get high PCS, and i would always be surprised as to why that was so until i saw the fancam. the ice is huge around her and yet with her very slow skating she would do nothing to reach out to the audience sitting in the very back. she looks amazing on camera, but in reality that just isn't so.

it's not as if mao was ever phenomenal before when it came to transitions and skating skills, her knees are a bit stiff at times. they have a soft bend but not a deep bend. no speed. suddenly now that she's back everyone treats her as if she's some patrick chan level of skating quality. in comparison to the current field, maybe. but there are plenty of ladies rising up that have the speed, jumps, grace, transitions, and skating skills. mao is relying on her reputation for PCS as if she had a great reputation preceding her when it came to SS and TR.

also, mao's jumps aren't great. sure she has a triple axel, but that's it. there is no speed coming out of her jumps. her combination jumps are always puny. plus the under-rotation and edge calls she's prone to.

It is obvious you are trying to ruffle feathers by calling a 3 time World champion with so many fans "shockingly slow," with "puny jumps," "no speed," who is "relying on reputation." with the ice around her looking huge when she actually has such outstanding rink coverage.

Here is what a journalist who saw Mao's freeskate live at Sochi said about her LP performance that you condescendingly call "shockingly slow." and who you claim did nothing to reach out to the back of the audience.

"Asada is the one person in this whole field who does the triple axel.....and when she takes off and nails it 10 seconds in, suddenly, this unseasoned observer no longer finds anything funny or unusual about this sport: It is simply beautiful. For the next four minutes, Asada glides about a foot above the ice, flying around the arena, rising into the rafters, lifting out of the arena and into the sky. You will not convince me this did not happen.

The best part about watching an event like this in person is that you do not have the artificial viewpoint of the closeup. You are watching, from beginning to end, a choreographed routine, something that has been fussed over and altered and honed to perfection by people who have devoted their lives to this work. It is, more than anything, a story. When it clicks -- and if you are here, it will click for you -- figure skating seems to represent the most logical, natural movements a body can make. You stop counting falls and making snide observations about the atmosphere. You stop doing much of anything but watch.

Asada's routine.......made everything fall into place."

http://www.sportsonearth.com/articl...lympics-final-adelina-sotnikova-yuna-kim-gold

And another eye witness account, posted by hashioki2011, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ArTNtQl9UQ

A guy named Vladimir, who sat far back in the audience, said he's not actually a figure skating fan but he likes Rachmaninoff's music. So, he decided to record Mao's skating. But after watching he was so impressed, he really thought this was the best performance of the night. For him, Mao was not defeated!

Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
More mediocre people have inspired even worse obsessions, so the two aren't mutually exclusive.

That being said, I don't think Asada is mediocre at all.

CarneAsada

Medalist
More mediocre people have inspired even worse obsessions, so the two aren't mutually exclusive.

LOL. How generous of you. And why is an obsessive love that inspires me to dedicate a miniature shrine in my living room to Mao Asada bad? Granted, my practice of burning offerings to her might be a fire hazard with the carpet and all, but it's not like I'm not careful.

Barb

Record Breaker

I guess Mao is the japanese Kardashian :p.
Anyway, what is happeing with Liza?, I think it is too much pressure for her a 3a in the SP. The prectices were good, it is a mental problem.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I wouldn't say Mao is the Patrick Chan of the women's field. She is the best in the PCS criteria, but not to the extent Patrick (and Yuzu) are relative to their peers.

yuzushenko

On the Ice
It is obvious you are trying to ruffle feathers by calling a 3 time World champion with so many fans "shockingly slow," with "puny jumps," "no speed," who is "relying on reputation." with the ice around her looking huge when she actually has such outstanding rink coverage.

Here is what a journalist who saw Mao's freeskate live at Sochi said about her LP performance that you condescendingly call "shockingly slow." and who you claim did nothing to reach out to the back of the audience.

"Asada is the one person in this whole field who does the triple axel.....and when she takes off and nails it 10 seconds in, suddenly, this unseasoned observer no longer finds anything funny or unusual about this sport: It is simply beautiful. For the next four minutes, Asada glides about a foot above the ice, flying around the arena, rising into the rafters, lifting out of the arena and into the sky. You will not convince me this did not happen.

The best part about watching an event like this in person is that you do not have the artificial viewpoint of the closeup. You are watching, from beginning to end, a choreographed routine, something that has been fussed over and altered and honed to perfection by people who have devoted their lives to this work. It is, more than anything, a story. When it clicks -- and if you are here, it will click for you -- figure skating seems to represent the most logical, natural movements a body can make. You stop counting falls and making snide observations about the atmosphere. You stop doing much of anything but watch.

Asada's routine.......made everything fall into place."

http://www.sportsonearth.com/articl...lympics-final-adelina-sotnikova-yuna-kim-gold

And another eye witness account, posted by hashioki2011, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ArTNtQl9UQ

A guy named Vladimir, who sat far back in the audience, said he's not actually a figure skating fan but he likes Rachmaninoff's music. So, he decided to record Mao's skating. But after watching he was so impressed, he really thought this was the best performance of the night. For him, Mao was not defeated!

well perhaps if you present the opinion of an actual informed skating viewer rather than people who never watch skating.

i am a fan of mao's, but i was so disappointed when i saw the fan cam because i didn't know she was actually that slow. it kind of lost its magic. and i love rachmaninoff, her sochi FS was one of the best, but on the fan cam it just comes across as empty as slow.

i said her jumps in combination are puny. the height on her 3A and most of her single jumps is awesome. there is a huge difference between a jump in combination and a solo jump.

im just being honest here. just because i like her doesn't mean im going to sugarcoat my technical views on her. i love gracie gold, but that girl wasn't on an inside edge for that flip in her TEB SP. phony acting indeed.

"admiration is the feeling furthest from understanding"

we can still be fans of people and critique them critically. this is a sport.

Last edited:
This thread has been pruned to delete posts that comprise ad hominem attacks on other posters rather than discussion of figure skating.