Photographer Phil Borges | Golden Skate

Photographer Phil Borges

JOHIO2

Medalist
Toni,

Don't know anything about this guy, but those pics on his site are awesome. If you do go, be sure and tell us about it.

I'm not familiar with Phil Borges but love the work on his site. Toni, did you get a chance to see the PBS "American Masters" program on photographer Robert Capa that was on last night? If you didn't, or if anyone else is interested, he did a lot of war photography but liked to focus on the children and civilian victims of war. Tough stuff, but it really gets you. He also shot celebrities and their children. There's a series of Pablo Picasso with one of his wives and their toddler son on the beach in Italy. The little boy is just reveling in being on the sand and in the water, playing with his parents, completely naked, not a care in the world. Yet Capa also catches a moment of the child standing in way as if he owned the world (his father's son). Capa also went to Japan on his own just to shoot and got amazing photos of Japanese children. He'd always get down on his knees so he'd be at eye level with them. Sadly Capa was killed shortly that trip to Japan in the early years of Vietnam when he stepped on a land mine.

Capa also founded MAGNUM magazine, which allowed photographers to keep the rights to their photos so they wouldn't have to hand everything over to LIFE or LOOK magazine, along with all their royalties. More stability in working for a magazine like LIFE, but more freedom in working for yourself. And I heard something I never knew before about Bob Capa. I knew about his love affair with Ingrid Bergman, but I didn't know that Alfred Hitchcock based the Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly characters in "Rear Window" on Robert Capa and Ingrid Bergman.

Capa also was lifelong friends with other photographers who did work I really love. This was in the '40s and '50s and one of the "three musketeers" as they called themselves, went down the Nile shooting African tribespeople. Capa went to Russia at the height of the Cold War just to photograph Russians at home and at work--and he paid dearly for it; the US government took away his passport and it cost him $10,000 to get it back. Another guy shot in the middle east. But they for all the war shots they took, they took more of everyday life. Great work, fascinating guy, IMO.

Hope you enjoy the Phil Borges talk. If he talks half as well as he takes photos, it should be great.
Rgirl

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I got to watch half... then Duane threw a huge fit and demanded that he get to watch Law & Order (they're repeats for heaven's sake... and now we're yelling about the TV again this time he wants to watch a TV show off limits to him... :rolleye: ) so mom said that the show was "boring" for a kid and so I had to turn it off... we ended up not watching anything as dad basically said that Law and Order was too adult for a nine year old anyway with some of the cases they have... so yeah pretty much ruined my evening

good thing our prof lectured for two hours on the man in our class first semester... very interesting stuff

I still much prefer Margaret Bourke-White

Tonichelle said:
I still much prefer Margaret Bourke-White
Bummer about your brother and the show. But Bourke-White, one of my all-time favorites. And a "girl" too, lol.
Rgirl

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
when "girls" weren't allowed in a "man's" job

funny how figure skating and photography were once dominated by men... now here in teh US if a man is in either profession he's looked at -- negatively -- as "gay" :rolleye: yeah our country's great sometimes, ain't it? :laugh: