2015-2016 Ladies Power Rankings | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2015-2016 Ladies Power Rankings

minze

Medalist
She lost Japanese nationals in 2013-2014 and then there's Sochi. Need I say more? You must have a low bar for consistency.

No you just have an impossible bar for Mao as if the current woman are more consistent than Mao. And just titles = consistency. How do you win world titles by not been able to put it together.

minze

Medalist
She was suffering a severe back injury when she participated in Japan Nationals according to her coach Sato. He said it started around the GPF and got worse around Nationals.

No need to explain that to a poster that never has a kind word about Mao's skating, and holds her to an impossible standard

moriel

Record Breaker
None. What indication you have that Liza will be at the same level of 2014?

Well, she skated consistently the whole last year, did tons of competitions and medaled on them all, and she has an extremely solid jump technique. She already went through her puberty. She is not injured. She is young. She did not take a year long break. She got still things to achieve and to fight for.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
No you just have an impossible bar for Mao as if the current woman are more consistent than Mao. And just titles = consistency. How do you win world titles by not been able to put it together.

Titles do not equal consistency. Hello Chan's world titles or Hanyu's world titles?

On the flip side, some consistent skaters do not necessarily win all the big titles. E.g. Rachel Flatt.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
No need to explain that to a poster that never has a kind word about Mao's skating, and holds her to an impossible standard

Stay pressed.

I like Asadas skating enough, but I eyeroll at statements made by fans who exaggerate her qualities, just as I eyeroll at fans who exaggerate any skaters qualities, including my favorites.

minze

Medalist
Stay pressed.

I like Asadas skating enough, but I eyeroll at statements made by fans who exaggerate her qualities, just as I eyeroll at fans who exaggerate any skaters qualities, including my favorites.

Aw? Who is exaggarerating her talents? Stay pressed? What does that mean?

minze

Medalist
Titles do not equal consistency. Hello Chan's world titles or Hanyu's world titles?

On the flip side, some consistent skaters do not necessarily win all the big titles. E.g. Rachel Flatt.

Yes it does. It means you are able to consistently put 2 programs together to earn more points than your competitors. I never said Mao is more consistent than or less than, but you don't win as many titles as she have by been an example is inconsistency as you make it sound.

Crystallize

On the Ice
Aw? Who is exaggarerating her talents? Stay pressed? What does that mean?

Put them on that ignore list. They're not worth it. Always on that 'stay pressed' nonsense.

Otherwise, there have been some good arguments made on this thread. It just needs to stay on the right track. Personally, I don't think simply winning titles means being completely consistent. HOWEVER, it does indicate some level of consistency. Mao may not be the most consistent skater ever, but she is more consistent than certain other skaters. Liza was consistent last season, but it was only one season. We'll see how they both do soon enough. I can't decide between the two of them as of now.

Last edited:
..Stay pressed? What does that mean?

"Stay pressed" is a teenage slang phrase from about five years ago, originating in Washington D.C. It means something like, "You are just a hater -- you can keep on obsessively hating, for all I care."

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
For the past two seasons I've done power rankings on my blog, but I do them when I have something more concrete to go on. I do my rankings based on the End of the Grand Prix and then the End of the Season.

Right now, any rankings we come up with are just speculation because we have no idea how anyone is going to skate this year. We have a slight idea based on what they did last season but, as we know, what happens in one season doesn't necessarily dictate what will happen the next season. After Julia's awesome 2013-2014 season, who could have predicted she'd fall apart so badly? And after Liza T's rather lackluster 2013-2014 season, who could have predicted she'd rise to the top and win worlds? There's just no way to tell what will happen until we get a better idea for where everyone's head is at.

donezo

On the Ice
1. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - nerves of steel and the best jumps in the business. I expect her to be dominant.
2. Mao Asada - the biggest question mark for me. If she can get it together, she is the one to beat. Her jumps have never been the most reliable.
3. Gracie Gold - it just feels like her year to really break through. She has the goods, and Worlds are at home. I have faith.
4. Evgenia Medvedeva - this year's Russian wunderkind to quickly ascend the senior ranks. The jumps are there. The refinement is not.
5. Satoko Miyahara - consistent and refined. She skates "small" and the jumps can be questionable. She will never be a judge favorite, and her ranking will always depend on how the other top ladies skate.
6. Elena Radionova - the programs are....not good. She has grown and the jumps are looking scary. Could be on the way out.
7. Ashley Wagner - last year was her year and she blew it. Jump rotations are an issue. She has performance quality, but now Mao is back to be the "artistic one."
8. Polina Edmunds - will this be her year to really break through? The short program is good. Will the judges be kinder on GOE and PCS?
9. Rika Hongo - in the hunt, but not a real contender. Not the most memorable skater. Her days are probably numbered once Wakaba Higuchi goes senior.
10. Li Zijun - the talent is there, but when will she put it all together?

moriel

Record Breaker
If we take #1 as 11 points, #2 as 10 etc etc and honorable mention as 1 point, we would have something like this (when the results were close, i just considered it as a tie):

1-2: Elizaveta Tuktamysheva and Mao Asada
3: Gracie Gold
4-6: Those 3 are pretty close: Elena Radionova, Satoko Miyahara and Evgeniya Medvedeva
7: Ashley Wagner
8-9: Another tie: Adelina Sotnikova and Yulia Lipnitskaya
10: Rika Hongo
11: Polina Edmunds
12: Anna Pogorilaya

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Yes it does. It means you are able to consistently put 2 programs together to earn more points than your competitors. I never said Mao is more consistent than or less than, but you don't win as many titles as she have by been an example is inconsistency as you make it sound.

I don't agree. Winning a title by skating far below your best level does not make you consistent. Patrick Chan medaled in every event after Vancouver (winning only one bronze, in fact). Would you call him a consistent skater? That isn't taking anything away from Mao, she is a great skater. She just isn't a consistent one if we are talking about putting together two programs that can beat skaters like Liza regularly.

gotoschool

Medalist
I don't agree. Winning a title by skating far below your best level does not make you consistent. Patrick Chan medaled in every event after Vancouver (winning only one bronze, in fact). Would you call him a consistent skater? That isn't taking anything away from Mao, she is a great skater. She just isn't a consistent one if we are talking about putting together two programs that can beat skaters like Liza regularly.

You are ignoring statistics from their last competitive season. The official scores indicate that Mao has more than 8 points higher average score on the Grand Prix series and Worlds in her last season as compared to Liza's for similar competitions with a higher score in every single Grand Prix even and Worlds, whereas your posts suggest the opposite. The most recent historical scores are not conclusive, but there is not a lot else to base future results on. I don't know what will happen in the future, but I think an accurate reading of the recent past is important.

Last edited:

rosacotton

Final Flight
For the past two seasons I've done power rankings on my blog, but I do them when I have something more concrete to go on. I do my rankings based on the End of the Grand Prix and then the End of the Season.

Right now, any rankings we come up with are just speculation because we have no idea how anyone is going to skate this year. We have a slight idea based on what they did last season but, as we know, what happens in one season doesn't necessarily dictate what will happen the next season. After Julia's awesome 2013-2014 season, who could have predicted she'd fall apart so badly? And after Liza T's rather lackluster 2013-2014 season, who could have predicted she'd rise to the top and win worlds? There's just no way to tell what will happen until we get a better idea for where everyone's head is at.

:thumbsup:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I also hope Anna pulls it together, I find her skating very appealing and she reminds me of Viktoria Volchkova, whom I really enjoyed watching,

I kind of think she is a blend of Vollchkova and Butyrskaya but she needs to gain confidence and fix those spins. Though if all the RUssian girls skated to what most think would be their best - in no particular order it would be Liza, Julia and Adelina and then Rad. That doesn't even consider Anna or Leonova or the up and coming Russian stars.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not sure I can put Mao number 1. I am still debating if she is all that consistent - or is she consistently inconsistent because to me it seems like she has been working ont her 3 axel and the edges of the lutz and completing fully rotated triple triples for a while. She isn't that consistent getting the full rotations or edges really compared to say Yuna Kim or Liza or Rad. Mao has the best skating skills right now but that doesn't say much. It is too bad Katelyn Osmond has had so many injuries one wonders how she would fare against Gracie or Ashley but for the injuries - she seemed to be developing triple triples and more quality skating but the injuries have really plagued her and know she is playing catch up. As a result of the injuries she is duking out with Polina rather than the big guns.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
You are ignoring statistics from their last competitive season. The official scores indicate that Mao has more than 8 points higher average score on the Grand Prix series and Worlds in her last season as compared to Liza's for similar competitions with a higher score in every single Grand Prix even and Worlds, whereas your posts suggest the opposite. The most recent historical scores are not conclusive, but there is not a lot else to base future results on. I don't know what will happen in the future, but I think an accurate reading of the recent past is important.

You're right. She did have a marvelous 2013-14 season and really only had two bad programs, one at Nationals and one in Sochi. I still think it is unlikely that she will achieve her form from that year because she is two years older, she has a few troublesome jumps (lutz and salchow in particular), and she was inconsistent in previous seasons. I would love to be wrong but I think it's a mistake to ignore what impact a year off competitive ice will have.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
You're right. She did have a marvelous 2013-14 season and really only had two bad programs, one at Nationals and one in Sochi. I still think it is unlikely that she will achieve her form from that year because she is two years older, she has a few troublesome jumps (lutz and salchow in particular), and she was inconsistent in previous seasons. I would love to be wrong but I think it's a mistake to ignore what impact a year off competitive ice will have.

Except every report says otherwise and that she is back to or near that level. In addition, she's training a 3F+3T so something must be going good if she's even thinking about a +3T combination...