Harry Potter...The Prisoner of Azkaban! | Golden Skate

Harry Potter...The Prisoner of Azkaban!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I thought I would get this thread started. Tomorrow's the big day for all of us Harry Potter fans. We have plans to go tomorrow night, so I should probably go today and get tickets. Anyone else going? 42

bronxgirl

Medalist
Probably not this weekend (I just don't think I could put up with all of the kids in one sitting :D ), but maybe next week during an evening showing, or the following weekend. I'd like to be able to hear (as well as see) this one. The reviews have been great.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think I will try to go Monday during he day while the kids are still in school. Does anyone know what character Gary Oldman is playing? He is one of my favorite actors.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Piel said:
I think I will try to go Monday during he day while the kids are still in school. Does anyone know what character Gary Oldman is playing? He is one of my favorite actors.

He's playing Sirius Black.

mariana

On the Ice
I'll have to wait until Sunday, and lock myself in my bedroom until then, 'cause my little sister has already seen it and She is already trying to tell my everything about the movie

Last edited:

Hermione_Granger

On the Ice
show 42 said:
I thought I would get this thread started. Tomorrow's the big day for all of us Harry Potter fans. We have plans to go tomorrow night, so I should probably go today and get tickets. Anyone else going? 42

I'm planning on going this weekend. I can't wait to see it !! :D

--Hermy

N@d&A

Rinkside
question for mariana

mariana said:
I'll have to wait until Sunday, and lock mysefl in my bedroom until then, 'cause my littje sister has already seen it and She is already triyng to tell my everything about it:

By the way do you have the English version with subtitles ?because here in Puebla we only have the Spanish version and it really sucks

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Just got back from PofA......and my hubby and I LOVED it.....the best one yet. I love the transistions from season to season using the "whomping" tree. I can see the difference this new director has given the movie. This is very dark, more so than the other two, definitely not for anyone 7 or 8 years of age or younger, unless they are very mature........The three main characters, Harry, Hermione, and Ron remain the same likeable three we grew to love in the first two books and movies..........hubby and I will no doubt go again..........can't wait for number four!!!! 42

mariana

On the Ice
Re: question for mariana

N@d&A said:
By the way do you have the English version with subtitles ?because here in Puebla we only have the Spanish version and it really sucks
Yes we have it, but I don't know the quality of it, the one of the last movie wasn't the best. Luckily I know English, but I'm still hoping this one will be better 'cause it's easy to understand the movie that way :p

juleswitz

Spectator
WHEE!! This_movie_rocks.

Basically, this movie feels much more *magical* than the other two. The first one, though it made me fall in t00by lurrve with Dan, Rupert, and Emma, made the beginning drag on_for_forever since it was nearly the exact same as the book. And everything happened in the right sequence and it was still nice to watch, but, eh. Whereisthemagic?! ::searches::

The 2nd one was much more improved because it went at a faster pace, and was much more exciting. Even the acting was improved, as Hermione really looked teary-eyed when crying. Ha.

But the 3rd one.

On the overall look of the movie, it is much more interesting because of the darkness of the colors and some of the more, er, "arteestic" shots. Everyone is oh, so pretty to look at, which does not take away from the movie at all. ;)

Although I absolutely lurrve the books and would not want them changed at all, for a movie, some obviously must be changed. Some was cut, some was cut and pasted, but for a *movie* as a whole, it was great. And Alfonso had far more crazier ideas that Rowling disapproved of, so the movie here includes everything she approved of and it still sticks to the main theme. And Hermione gets a bigger role. woot. Sheissopretty. ::ahem::

Also i read that some info was left out purposely to be revealed in later movies, like the fact that Lupin, Potter, Pettigrew, and Black are behind the Marauder's Map.

The only thing that disappointed me most about this movie was... Dumbledore. :cry: Richard Harris is irreplaceable, obviously, and he gave off this sort of aura and a ghostly sort of presence that Michael Gambon did not have. ::cries:: Dumbledore nearly seemed like any other old guy wizard...I'm not sure if I like the "hippie chic" thing as much haha.

An article I read included a quote from someone in the crew...producer...screenwriter? ::is ashamed for forgetting:: who said something along the lines of Chris Columbus being a great storyteller, but Alfonso is a great artist. Chris was able to get the events down, but i think he didn't seem to have the *vision* Alfonso had. (And I am still eternally grateful for Chris! I would never bash him! But even Alfonso said, it was unfair, because it was up to Chris to introduce this whole wizarding world.)

So I am running off to see this movie many more times. woohoo.

One thing: Ron. Spiders. Tap dancing. All I will say. ::cracks up::

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Ok, I just got back from the movie and I don't know how biased my review is because I'm still on a high after it, but omg...finally they got it right!!! I don't know if I just like it because compared to the other two, this one knocked it out of the ballpark, but I really think this will be one of the best movies of the summer.

Let me say, yes I wish they would have explained things further and did some things differently, but I really think this was one a masterpiece. I still think Kloves makes Ron too much of a wimp, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be, and Hermione isn't too perfect in this one (but she's not annoying enough). Again, like many, I didn't like how they introduced Peter (with Harry seeing him first) and I didn't lilke how they didn't explain things further and show why Snape is so bitter...but I really loved how the Shrieking Shack scene was shot. So much tension and heat.

I can't be more amazed with the way Cuaron works the camera, unlike Columbus, he's a true cinema artist. I have to say that I love the whole atmosphere of this movie. I hated how the first two made the magical world seem like some sort of other, untouchable theme park fantasy world. When I read the books, I always thought that although it was a magical world, it was set in the real world and confined to it. To me, Cuaron captured this perfectly. I loved how he had interaction, not only between Harry and his best mates Ron and Hermione, but also the other Gryffindors. I finally felt that Hogwarts was a real school where real students lived and studied and practiced magic in.

I'll probably have to re-write a more coherent review, but I absolutely loved this one. Even with some of the things that irked me, I really think the movies are going in the right direction. People need to remember that it's an adaptation, and I rather have a movie like POA where the spirit and feel of the books is there even if they changed a couple of things than movies like SS and COS where they tried to be faithful but the feel and look is so bland and glossy that you can't relate or feel anything.

P.S.
JKR has said many times that Draco should not be confused with Tom Felton and that he isn't some cool bad boy rebel. He's a cowardly bully, and I think this movie finally captured his character...eventhough I felt that Cuaron over did his wimpering. I don't think it won't be till after Order of the Phoenix where Draco will become more than the bully he is in the books. Plus if you notice in the movies...it's only Draco's group of Slytherins that are bullying and mean, not all the Slytherins, so I think that says something.
And they had Padma and Parvati!!! Yay!
I also LOVED the new Dumbledore, I felt Gambon was more like Dumbledore in the books than Harris was. Harris was too stiff and fragile, but Gambon is more mischievous and out there.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
A&E is showing a biography all this weekend of JK Rowling. Very interesting to hear her perspective of the crazy fandom that surrounds her stories... she stuck me as a little bit sad and tragic in a way. And overall I got the sense that she wasnt real comfortable with the attention she has gotten. I also learned that she is estimated to be worth more than the Queen of England!!!!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Viet........I totally love the new look of the third installment. His transistions are spot on. POA has a "grown-up" feel to it, perfect for kids who started the books five and six years ago and are now in their teens. The focus this time around was definitely off the school and onto the characters, as it should be by now. I read a review by Roger Ebert, which was good, but you can tell when someone has not read the books first. There are some questions not answered in the movie, that the book explains. It doesn't bother those who have read the books, but it would be puzzling to those who only follow the movies............42

novaspacedout

Match Penalty
I saw it yesterday and I loved it though I was counghing alot! Alfonso Cuaron is obviously the better director! I think they should keep him and ditch Columbus! I heard that they casted Fleur, Cho Chang, Cedric Diggory, Viktor Krum etc.

Henry Cavill SHOULD be Cedric Diggory:

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yaho...t_of_monte_cristo/henry_cavill/cristopre2.jpg

He is British! DUH! and like so HOT! The worst people for Viktor, Fleur and Cho would be:

Hillary Duff (Fleur):

www.biggeststars.com/d/hilary_duff/1.htm

Ashton Kutcher (Krum):

www.ociojoven.com/article/articleview/366943/1/5/

Michelle Kwan (Cho):

www.iceskatingintnl.com/gallery/ph970608.htm

Don't worry I have heard Anna Kournikova, Josh Hartnett, Prince William, Orlando Bloom etc rumours. Cho is in fact being played by an English girl named Katie Jeung or smthn similiar?

Last edited by a moderator: