What happened with Ilia Kulik | Golden Skate

What happened with Ilia Kulik

Babbette1

On the Ice
He and Katia Gordeeva opened a figure skating rink in California. That's gone bust and she was back in Stars on Ice in early 2015.
So what happened to Ilia? Did he go back to Russia to coach?

Naya

On the Ice
My english is bad - do you mean Ilia's school was closed? Anyway, it's hard to imagine Ilia back in Russia, he lives in US since he was 18.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
He and Katia Gordeeva opened a figure skating rink in California. That's gone bust and she was back in Stars on Ice in early 2015.
So what happened to Ilia? Did he go back to Russia to coach?

Please, do not mention Kulik to me because I'm still heartbroken with his decision to quit competitive FS after Nagano. I luuuuuuuuuuurved him so much. :disapp:

tulosai

Record Breaker
His daughter with Katia, Elizaveta, is also a competitive figure skater, at least as of last year. I am not sure if she plans to try to do regionals/sectionals this year.

begin

Medalist
There was footage of him holding some kind of workshop in Japan last season. He's been credited a few times recently by certain male skaters for helping improve their jumps (although I can't remember exactly who worked with him).

adelia

Record Breaker
Please, do not mention Kulik to me because I'm still heartbroken with his decision to quit competitive FS after Nagano. I luuuuuuuuuuurved him so much. :disapp:
You too?
He was the first skater I ever supported. :cry:

Meoima

Match Penalty
:slink: well the rink has closed down permanently, I have read from the other forum.

And it seems... ok I will not talk about it on the forum because it's just rumors.

Alba

Record Breaker
You too?
He was the first skater I ever supported. :cry:

Oh yes. He was the first male skater which I totally loved and supported. :cry:
Probably he made the right decision because skaters back then could still make some money with shows and as Pro. but he was so young and so talented that I was hoping to see him till 2002. He was such a natural talent. When he was on his jumps were just WOW, especially his 3A! So effortless, and his skating quality was to die for.
I loved his Faust program. :love:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sort of OT, but does anyone remember Ilia's role in the ballet movie "Center Stage"? Sort of a cult classic about a bunch of ballet students in NYC pre-911. He's not in it much but he does dance. He was paired with Zoe Saldana, who went on to have a successful acting career.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Sort of OT, but does anyone remember Ilia's role in the ballet movie "Center Stage"? Sort of a cult classic about a bunch of ballet students in NYC pre-911. He's not in it much but he does dance. He was paired with Zoe Saldana, who went on to have a successful acting career.
I remember that, saw it once and was pleasantly surprised to see him in a movie.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
:slink: well the rink has closed down permanently, I have read from the other forum.

And it seems... ok I will not talk about it on the forum because it's just rumors.

Can you at least say what forum you are talking about so we can read it for ourselves? FSU? I looked on there and see no recent thread about Ilia.

I liked Center Stage...I wouldn't say Ilia was a great thespian, but neither was anyone else in the movie for that matter.

edit - I found the thread you were talking about, doesn't seem like anything scandalous (not that I would have expected that from them, but the tone of the post & the word "rumors" made it seem like something was being insinuated). Running a business is extremely tough, so these things happen, unfortunately. As I mentioned, MCM is still getting lessons from Ilia. You don't have to have your own school to continue coaching.

Last edited:

adelia

Record Breaker
Oh I remember that too. Sergei lol

Probably he made the right decision because skaters back then could still make some money with shows and as Pro. but he was so young and so talented that I was hoping to see him till 2002. He was such a natural talent. When he was on his jumps were just WOW, especially his 3A! So effortless, and his skating quality was to die for.
I loved his Faust program. :love:
Faust was hands-down his best SP!
But then again he had such a short competitive career. :slink:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Can you at least say what forum you are talking about so we can read it for ourselves? FSU? I looked on there and see no recent thread about Ilia.

I liked Center Stage...I wouldn't say Ilia was a great thespian, but neither was anyone else in the movie for that matter.
It's FSU. A poster called to their rink and it turned out the rink has closed down.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I felt the same. Pure quality, and heaven to watch him. I was at a SOI show where he skated with no music, but with microphones on his skates, so that it sounded and looked like a tap dance routine throughout. Just incredible.

I read that he'd said he much preferred show skating because he was free to be creative like that. And years before, I'd read that he was so unhappy in the run-up to Olympics 1998, that he hated what he was doing so much, that he nearly wasn't able to keep going until then. So I guess we're lucky he made that.

I'm sorry to hear their rink closed. Katia had been teaching a Learn About Skating class; and I was envious of anyone who got to take that from her! Share her joy.

Where did I read that Satoko worked with Ilia on her jumps this past summer. I thought that was a brilliant move!

humbaba

Final Flight
His daughter with Katia, Elizaveta, is also a competitive figure skater, at least as of last year. I am not sure if she plans to try to do regionals/sectionals this year.

Elizaveta competed as a Novice in the Southwest Pacific regionals a couple of weeks ago . She was only about a point out of fourth after the SP, but ended up not qualifying for sectionals after the free skate. She really was lovely, but had problems with some of her jumps. She's long-limbed and had a smooth, fast, effortless way of moving across the ice. I hope Elizaveta keeps skating and doesn't get discouraged. If she gets those jumps under control, she will be a force to be reckoned with.

For those who subscribe and want to check out Elizaveta's skate, the SWP regionals are on IceNetwork.