Who Were the Strange Winners? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who Were the Strange Winners?

M

MSI83

Re: Who Were the Strange Winners?

Tiffany Chin also a world medalist (competed in the 1984 Olympics) had problems and didn't conitinue on till 1988. She was a strong jumper though, and good spinner. I saw her as a pro in the 1996-1997 season, and she skated very well.

Christine Haigler and Tina Noyes (read about them in Brennans book in 1996) were competitors of Peggy Flemming in the 1960's. Noyes was a strong jumper (for the time), but didn't have Flemming's grace and style which were preferred at that time.

B

berthes ghost

Trixi Schuba is some sort of skating official now. She was recently seen photographed with Trifun at some event.

How about Robin Cousins? Like Urmanov, he never mustered a world title. Figures aparently kept him back. Conspiracy theorists link his win with Annett's as part of a deal.

Scott over Brian in 84 also gets rehashed a lot on the web.

My personal pick for "strange" would be G&P over anyone.

J

JillLaQ

I didn't see Robin Cousins win the Olympics. However, he became one of, if not THE MOST exciting of the pro skaters. I miss him a lot.

Anyone over G/P??? LOVE IT!!!:rollin:

N

nymkfan51

Maybe "unexpected" winners would be a better title for this thread.
I agree with those who said Sarah Hughes was not expected to win Gold ... although she was considered to have a good shot at a medal.
Urmanov would also be unexpected IMO.

No way you could classify Lipinski this way ... she was World champ and everyone expected she and Michelle to fight for the top spot.

Their careers after Oly gold are a whole other story.

E

EllynK

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>My personal pick for "strange" would be G&P over anyone. [/quote]

"Anyone" mean anyone else in the top 3 or 4 at the Olympics that they did win?

OK, if you feel really strongly about the weaknesses of their performances enough to be unconvinced by their strengths, I guess you can make a reasonable case for putting them behind Usova/Zhulin and Torvill/Dean in '94 and in various phases of the competition behind Krylova/Ovsiannikov, Anissina/Peizerat, and Bourne/Kraatz in '98, although the judges were unanimous on their free dance win in the latter case.

"Anyone" meaning everyone entered in those events, they were so bad they deserved to place last? Get real!

P

Ptichka

Are we talking about just Olympics, or Worlds as well? If it is the latter, I would say Oksana on winnig her World was "strange". Also agree with Alexei getting the Olympic gold being "strange".

B

berthes ghost

""Anyone" meaning everyone entered in those events, they were so bad they deserved to place last? Get real!"

:lol:

I meant T&D and/or U&V in 94, R&K in 95, K&O in 96, 97 & 98.

D

DORISPULASKI

berthe's ghost,

As to G&P, when a team falls in a compulsory dance and finishes first in that dance, I find it hard to believe that there wasn't some backroom stuff going on in 1998.

And I far preferred both T&D and U&Z over G&P in 1994.
dpp

E

EllynK

If you're talking about the 1998 Olympics, G&P did not fall in a compulsory dance. Grishuk touched her foot down for balance at one point, which would be a much smaller deduction than a fall.

J

Jaana

>Berthe´s Ghost
How about Robin Cousins? Like Urmanov, he never mustered a world title. Figures aparently kept him back. >

Robin Cousins was no surprise Olympics winner in 1980. The fact that he had not won a Worlds gold does not mean anything, because he was anyway one of the top guys since Europeans 1977. I fully expected him to win in the Olympics (if everything goes well, LOL).

>Conspiracy theorists link his win with Annett's as part of a deal. >

I don´t see that conspiracy theory very likely as Robin was very much competing against another East-German skater, Jan Hoffmann. Why would they have prefered to have Pötsch (sp) winning but not Hoffmann?

Marjaana

I

icenut84

Doris - add to that 1994 Worlds, where G&P were 1st in the free dance despite a dicey wobble moment from Grishuk and a major splat from Platov.