Zippity / Zappity Lessons & Practices June 1-5 | Golden Skate

Zippity / Zappity Lessons & Practices June 1-5

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Tell us your results for the rest of this week. We want to know if your lessons and practices were great (Zippity) or needing improvement (Zappity).

Happy skating!

Cinderella on Ice

On the Ice
Zappity - I've been off-ice for a week because on Tuesday night I suddenly experienced sharp pains in my knee (for no apparent reason) and practically pulled up lame for the rest of the night. I canceled my lesson the next morning and then wound up nursing it until today. I must confess that I was starting to get really worried that maybe it was serious and then my brain ran away with it and I started thinking that maybe I would never skate again. (BTW, this is totally unlike me, because I am almost always a positive person.)

Zippity Do Dah! - I "tested" my knees at practice today and while they were stiff at first, all of a sudden they felt like their old selves (young selves?). I cannot tell you how RELIEVED I was. I ran through all of the Intermediate Moves, all single jumps and combos up through axels, all the spins I know how to do (and a few I don't) and all my footwork sequences, and everything just felt "right" again. Just to be cautious, I'm taking ibuprofen and icing tonight because I have a lesson tomorrow.

Have I mentioned how RELIEVED I am???

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Zappity-Arrived for my lesson today and what did I find but 3 bus loads of kids! They were suppose to get off at 11:45 but there was confusion on when they were suppose to get off. At 12:30 they were finally off, but management didn't want to clean the ice! My coach said no way are we going to skate on ice that has been skated on since 8:30 by a few hundred kids!! Even though it got Zambonied it still was rough:\

Zippity-just me and my coach on the ice for my lesson, so we worked on spirals (they weren't too bad) and cross overs. Sit spins are coming along.

Have a good weekend all!

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
Zappity-No Lessons this week :( But we're FINALLY having a coach/student/parent meeting and a lesson on Monday! Yippee! :)

Zippity-I finally got my skates sharpened!! And a rink that was closed for maintenance for a month opened again this week!

Cinderella on Ice

On the Ice
ZIPPITY - My lesson went really well. Apparently the fact that my knees are feeling better gave my coach free reign to develop new concepts because she continued turning me into a pretzel with some new (really cool, I might add) spin positions and even some pretzel-y jumps. She liked the progress I've made on my split jump, so she showed me how to do an "oblique" split where the back leg is turned out but bent at the knee (very cool). She had me do a back sit spin position where you put your free leg up onto your thigh and then crunch yourself forward into a ball (someone told me it is similar to the chair position in yoga, only tighter and you are spinning). Amazingly, I was able to do a crude version of it! Then we worked on a turned over back camel spin with a dip in the leg and new arms. And a sit spin with some new wacko arms. Gosh, it was so much fun!

A bunch of girls from the "other" rink skated the practice because theirs is closed, and it was a hoot. Usually I'm all alone, or at least the only adult, so it was fun to have girlfriends to push me to try new things. They taught me to do a simple back outer hydroblade and some cool spin positions.

ZAPPITY - I'm back on the ice again and so grateful, that there's nothing zappity about life today!

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Zap it: Nothing skating wise, just the lousy weekend weather.

Zip a dee doo dah: GRRRRREAT skate on Saturday!! Had a fresh sharpening which got into the groove quicker than normal, good luck with three turns and all that I practiced. I 'll be skating in Wintersport's exhibition in two weeks, doing my footwork program, so worked on it in pieces with good success. All in all, just a great skating day.