Choose your Russian team to the Worlds, Europeans, Junior Worlds | Golden Skate

Choose your Russian team to the Worlds, Europeans, Junior Worlds

The Finn

Record Breaker
So, in this thread one can predict the Russian teams for those championships if one wants but I thought it could be fun to see who are the skaters people most want to see at major championships. So, this is not so much about predicting things but who would you like to see at these championships.

So, these are the skaters I would like to see at these championships. If the skaters or teams are marked like this then the skaters or the teams are more important than the others.

Junior Worlds
Men: Aliev, Petrov, Gumennik. Someone suggested in other thread that Russia should send Pitkeev to Junior Worlds this season but I don't agree. However, I could see him as the 1st substitute if Aliev or Petrov wouldn't be available.

Ladies: Fedichkina, Tsurskaya, Sotskova. I most definitely want to see Alisa at Junior Worlds and I don't care who she has to push out to make it happen. I just hope Russia doesn't see Medvedeva as a real option. Although, I could see her as a 2nd substitute after Sima.

Pairs: Atakhanova/Spiridonov, Borisova/Sopot, Gubanova/Sintsov.

Ice dance: Loboda/Drozd, Popova/Vlasenko, Shevchenko/Eremenko.

Youth Olympics

Men: Aliev

Ladies: Tsurskaya, Sotskova

Pairs: Borisova/Sopot, Ustimkina/Volodin.

Ice dance: Shpilevaya/Smirnov, Konkina/Reviya. A lot of excellent choices here: Shevchenko/Eremenko, Skoptsova/Aleshin, Polishchuk/Vakhnov. Konkina/Reviya probably doesn't make it to the Youth Olympics team but I wish they would.

Europeans
In some other sports Russia sees the Europeans more as a 2nd class championships therefor they usually do not send their best team at the Europeans. That is not the case in figure skating but the way I see it is that because Russia has such an amazingly deep field of World top skaters they should try not to send the same trio for both the Europeans and the Worlds. Obviously the best three will go to the Worlds, so, Russia should send to the Europeans atleast one skater or one team per event who was not at the Top three at nationals. In ladies and in pairs it wouldn't really matter who Russia would send to the Europeans because who ever were 4th and 5th or even 6th at nationals would still easily secure that Russia would get all the medals at those events.

Men: Voronov, Kovtun, Pitkeev.

Ladies: Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Medvedeva.

Pairs: Zabijako/Enbert, Astakhova/Rogonov, Stolbova/Klimov. I really hope Zabijako/Enbert would make it to the Europeans.

Ice dance: Ilinykh/Zhiganshin, Monko/Khaliavin, Stepanova/Bukin.

Worlds

Men: Voronov, Kovtun.

Ladies: Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Lipnitskaya, Radionova. I really want a rule change here, Russia needs 4 spots ASAP.

Pairs: Tarasova/Morozov, Volosozhar/Trankov, Kavaguti/Smirnov.

Ice Dance: Ilinykh/Zhiganshin, Bobrova/Soloviev.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Have Zabijako/Enbert even competed yet? :confused: You must have a lot of confidence in them.

Junior Worlds/Youth Olympics - I'll agree with your choices. I don't follow jr pairs or ice dance at all.

Europeans - Voronov & Pitkeev yes, but I would switch Kovtun for Menshov (although I know the Russian fed won't). Ladies - not sure, too many to choose from and too early to make a strong case for anyone. Pairs - V/T, S/K, and K/S...I guess.

Worlds - Voronov and Menshov. Again, it won't happen, but I do believe Menshov wouldn't choke like Kovtun did last time. Or send Pitkeev over Menshov if ONT was just a fluke & he does well from here on. Your other choices seem ok to me.

stryke

On the Ice
I only follow singles so that will be the only discipline I post.

Junior Worlds
Men: Aliev, Gumennik.
Ladies: Tsurskaya, Sotskova. Alisa is good but it's also Tsurskaya's first jgp season and she is miles ahead of Alisa. And I just love Maria!

Youth Olympics
Ladies: Medvedeva, Tsurskaya. Of the top 5 age eligable russian ladies (Radionova, Medvedeva, Sotskova, Sakhanovich, Tsurskaya) able to go to this event these are my 2 favorites.

Europeans
Men: Voronov, Kolyada, Pitkeev.
Ladies: Radionova, Lipnitskaya, Medvedeva.

Worlds
Men: Voronov, Pitkeev
Ladies: Medvedeva, Lipnitskaya

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Cool thread!

JW

LADIES

Masha: solid on the GP, moreso than many of her teammates. Could very well medal.
Polina: Amazing jumper and amazingly consistent. This kid has the stuff and I have no doubt she'll bring it at Junior Worlds.
Alisa: Russia's latest star. I just feel it every time I see her that this girl is going to be something very special someday, even if not this season.

DANCE

Popova/Vlasenko: strong on the JGP.
Loboda/Drozd: see P/V.
3rd spot: no idea.

Euros

LADIES

Liza: duh. I see no way she wouldn't be on the team. Above and beyond the best European lady (at least technically).
Elena: Doesn't appear to be having growth issues, so I'm going to guess she'll make this team.
Evgenia: Looked great at Ondrej Nepela and the test skates. Consistent and a strong jumper.

DANCE

Ilinykh/Zhiganshin: a fan favorite and fairly strong team. They had a great first season and I expect them to repeat it.
Bobrova/Soloviev: I have no idea what they're looking like but they're world medalists, so I expect to see them here.
Stepanova/Bukin: Could be either them or Monko/Khavialin, but I expect it to be them.

PAIRS

Volosozhar/Trankov: the Olympic champs. Of course they're going to be here.
Stolbova/Klimov: weaker than normal at Ondrej Nepela, but they're usually better than the other two teams.
Astakhova/Rogonov: looked AMAZING at Ondrej Nepela-were a joy to watch. Sorry, T/M, but I think they're going to be the third team.

Worlds

LADIES

Liza: see Euros.
Elena: see Euros.
Anna, Adelina OR Evgenia: one of these will get the third spot, but it's looking like Evgenia will get it.

DANCE
Same as Euros

Pairs
Same as Euros

The Finn

Record Breaker
Have Zabijako/Enbert even competed yet? :confused: You must have a lot of confidence in them.

Well, I think they will do really well but my choices here were more about who would I like to see there rather than who I think will be there.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Cool thread!
Alisa: Russia's latest star. I just feel it every time I see her that this girl is going to be something very special someday, even if not this season.

Thanks. I agree on that assessment.

Euros
PAIRS
Astakhova/Rogonov: looked AMAZING at Ondrej Nepela-were a joy to watch. Sorry, T/M, but I think they're going to be the third team.

Nooooooo, T/M have to make it to the Worlds. They are awesome, I want them to get a medal from Worlds this season and rule the world starting in 2017-2018 at the latest. I really like Astakhova/Rogonov also and I would like to see them at Worlds but not at the expense of T/M or V/T. Already last season when I started their Fan thread here, I saw a lot of potential there and now they are really starting shine but still I don't think they will make it to the Worlds this season. This is exactly the reason why I would prefer that Russian Fed would not send the same trio of skaters to the Euros and to the Worlds.

Worlds
LADIES
Liza: see Euros.
Elena: see Euros.
Anna, Adelina OR Evgenia: one of these will get the third spot, but it's looking like Evgenia will get it.

Where is Yulia?

The Finn

Record Breaker
Youth Olympics
Ladies: Medvedeva, Tsurskaya. Of the top 5 age eligable russian ladies (Radionova, Medvedeva, Sotskova, Sakhanovich, Tsurskaya) able to go to this event these are my 2 favorites.

Radionova would be age eligible but I don't think she was on list of contenders that Russian Fed has announced. So, I don't think she is going. Medvedeva was on the list but I am hoping that Russia wouldn't send her either.

LisaM

Medalist
I don't follow juniors or men enough to say anything about that, but I think Pitkeev is going to Worlds.

Euros
Ladies: Tuktamysheva, Radionova, Lipnitskaya if she does as well as I think she will at GPs. Medvedeva also a contender.
Pairs: Volosozhar/Trankov, Stolbova/Klimov, Astakhova/Rogonov
Dance: Ilinykh/Zhiganshin, Bobrova/Soloviev, Monko/Khaliavin. I can see Yanovskaya/Mozgov as a contender too in place of M/K, depending on GP.

Worlds
Ladies: Same as Euros
Pairs: Same as Euros
Dance: Only I/Z and B/S (2 spots)

voolfee

On the Ice
Junior Worlds

Men: Aliev, Petrov, Gumennik.
Ladies: Tsurskaya, Sotskova, Fedichkina
Pairs: Atahanova/Spiridonov, Borisova/Sopot, Ustimkina/Volodin.
Ice dance: Loboda/Drozd, Popova/Vlasenko, Skoptcova/Aleshin.

Europeans

Men: Kolyada, Pitkeev, Dmitriev.
Ladies: Radionova, Medvedeva, Sotnikova.
Pairs: Volosozhar/Trankov, Stolbova/Klimov, Kavaguti/Smirnov.
Ice dance: Sinitsina/Katsalaov, Bobrova/Soloviev, Ilinykh/Zhiganshin.

Worlds

Men: Kolyada, Pitkeev.
Ladies: Radionova, Medvedeva, Sotnikova.
Pairs: Volosozhar/Trankov, Stolbova/Klimov, Kavaguti/Smirnov.
Ice Dance: Sinitsina/Katsalaov, Bobrova/Soloviev.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
My dream senior lady team this season is:
Yulia, because she Yulia - one of the kind, source of my inspiration for FS
Liza, because she pushes the boundaries and has superb jump technique to shut up haters/critics that Russian ladies cannot jump properly
Zhenya, because I love her LP - I think it is a masterpiece.

I am skeptical about Adelina's ambitions - she is not ready for this season and unlikely will be. Her pcs cushion is just not big enough to compensate for the deficiency in tes.
I like Anna a lot for her beauty, presence, and fierceness. But she is too unstable and hence unreliable with the increased pressure from Japanese skaters.
I have mixed feelings about Elena. Seems like she is a terrific person, a solid and reliable competitor who could deliver even under very unfavorable to her circumstances. I just never was a fan of her style. And this year programs did not impress (only test skates though). Let's see how she fares vs. Yulia next week. If she is more convincing, I guess, her team place is more or less secure (but she is not in my dream team).

With junior ladies I cannot pick 3 easily

Sima - she is the most senior and her both programs are gorgeous. If she recovers she is the undoubted leader with the best track record to have pcs advantage over anyone. Thi will further boost her chances for victories.
Maria - I love her SP and her style in general. Beauty and elegance.
Alisa - amazing artistry, she stands out as unique. I cannot remember similar to her, beauty and pureness...

...which brings the unlikely scenario of leaving behind Polina who is the overall leader score wise among the juniors so far. I admire her especially her unbelievable jumps - I just like the other 3 girls better. The team is too small for so much talent.

hanca

Record Breaker
If this is about who I would like to see there, rather than who will actually be sent, my choices are those:

Junior Worlds

Men: Aliev, Petrov, Gumennik.

Ladies: Tsurskaya, Sakhanovich, Proklova or Sotskova. (I am not completely sold on Feditckina yet. Definitely pleasant to watch, but not among my favourites yet)

Pairs: Atakhanova/Spiridonov, Borisova/Sopot, Poluyanova /Korotkov or Ivanova/Khakimov. (It is very likely that Gubanova/Sinkov will be sent, but there is nothing that stands out for me with this pair).

Ice dance: Loboda/Drozd, Popova/Vlasenko, Konkina/Reviya or Polishchuk/Vahnov. (I know Konkina/Reviya and Polishchuk/Vahnov probably won't be sent but I like them more than some of the higher scoring couples).

Youth Olympics

Ladies: Tsurskaya, Sakhanovich

Pairs: Borisova/Sopot, Ivanova /Khakimov or Vygalova/Parkman (curious how good Vygalova/Parkman can get in their first season together. Although Youth Olympics may be too much for him).

Ice dance: Konkina/Reviya and Polishchuk/Vahnov

Europeans

I would like Russia to spread their assignments to give chance more skaters, especially in pairs and ladies where they have such a deep field.

Men: Voronov, Menshov, Pitkeev. (Maybe Kolyada or Gachinsky would deserve a chance if Voronov is already going to worlds, but I have a soft spot for Voronov).

Ladies: Radionova, Pogorilaya, Tuktamysheva

Pairs: Tarasova/Morozov, Astakhova/Rogonov, Bazarova/Deputat

Ice dance: Monko/Khaliavin, Stepanova/Bukin, Yanovskaya/Mozgov

Worlds

Men: Voronov, Kovtun.

Ladies: Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Medvedeva. (I can't imagine that the Russian Federation would leave Liza off the team, but I am making this predictions based on how I enjoy their skating, not who I really believe will be sent. But Sotnikova and Lipnitskaya needs to be in their top shape.)

Pairs: Volosozhar/Trankov, Kavaguti/Smirnov,Stolbova/Klimov

Ice Dance: Ilinykh/Zhiganshin, Bobrova/Soloviev.

Last edited:

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
Do you really think Lipnitskaia and Sotnikova can beat Medvedeva? Even Pogorilaya has a better shot than the both of them, just saying, Sotnikova isn't really doing much this season and Lipnitskaia can muster 130~ with a clean slate which doesn't seem like it'll happen. I definitely agree that they need to change the rules for more spots cause some of the ladies are most likely going to leave.

For the ladies:

European: Pogorilaya, Lipnitskaia, Sotnikova
Worlds: Tuk, Radionics, Medvedeva

hanca

Record Breaker
Do you really think Lipnitskaia and Sotnikova can beat Medvedeva? Even Pogorilaya has a better shot than the both of them, just saying, Sotnikova isn't really doing much this season and Lipnitskaia can muster 130~ with a clean slate which doesn't seem like it'll happen. I definitely agree that they need to change the rules for more spots cause some of the ladies are most likely going to leave.

For the ladies:

European: Pogorilaya, Lipnitskaia, Sotnikova
Worlds: Tuk, Radionics, Medvedeva
I am not sure what that has got to do with it whether Lipnitskaya and Sotnikova can beat Medvedeva. I didn't based my teams on who can beat who, but who I enjoy watching more. Besides, at this moment we don't know who Sotnikova and Lipnitskaya can beat. The same way as we didn't know at the beginning of the last season how succesful the season would be for Tuktamysheva and how unsuccessful for Lipnitskaya.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Thanks. I agree on that assessment.

Nooooooo, T/M have to make it to the Worlds. They are awesome, I want them to get a medal from Worlds this season and rule the world starting in 2017-2018 at the latest. I really like Astakhova/Rogonov also and I would like to see them at Worlds but not at the expense of T/M or V/T. Already last season when I started their Fan thread here, I saw a lot of potential there and now they are really starting shine but still I don't think they will make it to the Worlds this season. This is exactly the reason why I would prefer that Russian Fed would not send the same trio of skaters to the Euros and to the Worlds.

Where is Yulia?

1. Yes, loving me some Alisa this season! :dance:
2. I like T/M too, but A/R were just :love: at Ondrej Nepela and I need them on that team. NEED. ;)
3. Yulia is in the realm of I Have No Idea. She's a question mark-could be in the mix, but I'm not entirely sure if she will be.

And I definitely agree that they shouldn't send the same skaters to Euros and Worlds. Heck, they could send Sima, Masha and Evgenia (JW team last year) to Euros and they'd probably still sweep the podium...they have so many good skaters that they waste by not doing that :no:. I think they should sub out at least two-like sending Adelina, Yulia and Anna to Euros and Liza, Elena and Evgenia to Worlds. That seems like a fairer allotment.

hanca

Record Breaker
That's a good idea.

Junior worlds: Tsurskaya, Proklova, Feditchkina
Europeans: Medvedeva, Sakhanovich, Sotskova
Worlds: any three from Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Lipnitskaya, Radionova. (One of them will have to stay at home. Maybe Tuktamysheva, because she already has gold from worlds)

And nothing left for Leonova, Artemeva and Pogorilaya.

Last edited:

jg2000

On the Ice
Worlds/Euros
Ladies:
Yulia, Adelina, Liza

Men:
Sergei and Adian
Menshov or Sasha Petrov for Euros

Pairs:
(this was hard, but)
A/R, S/K, and K/S

Dance:
B/S and I/Z
Probably S/B for Euros

Junior Worlds
I only follow junior ladies, so...
Sima, Alisa, and Masha

I doubt most of this will come true, but I can dream...

voolfee

On the Ice
I am not sure what that has got to do with it whether Lipnitskaya and Sotnikova can beat Medvedeva.
Sotnikova has higher component score than Medvedeva by far. Her jumps are great and I believe she gets back them. Lipnitskaya has smaller component score than Sotnikova and has physics problems. I think she isn't ready for this.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Ladies: Tuktamysheva, Radionova, Medvedeva
Men: Voronov, Kovtun, Pitkeev
Ice Dance: I/Z; S/B, B/S
Pairs:V/T, T/M, A/R

hanca

Record Breaker
Sotnikova has higher component score than Medvedeva by far. Her jumps are great and I believe she gets back them. Lipnitskaya has smaller component score than Sotnikova and has physics problems. I think she isn't ready for this.
You are still missing the point. I was choosing my team based on who I want to see there, not who is (in your opinion) better.