Beyond the Ice : Funny Behind the Scene Stories | Golden Skate

Beyond the Ice : Funny Behind the Scene Stories

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've always wondered if there is a magical room at every event just full of stuffed animals. Well I now have proof that not only does such a place exist but some of our favorite skaters seek it out for their own personal playground of silliness :cool:

https://instagram.com/p/0w8-EfkjcH/

Let's share some fun videos or excerpts from interviews that give us a fun glimpse into the world of ISU events from beyond TV broadcasts and the seats in the arena. I think it goes without saying that these should only be true stories and please...lets just have fun with it. :)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ What an adorable pic! :biggrin: I :love: to see skaters with otherwise serious personas play with stuffed animals, etc. Hey, I love to ALL the skaters show their playful sides!

I don't have any videos to contribute, but I do remember some cute K&C moments. Michelle @ 1998 US Nationals - holding the huge plush Elmo for all to see.

There was a spring pro/am in 2001 - Todd received a huge plush duck from a fan, and was playing with it in the K&C (it was close to Easter time, so it may have been an Easter gift from a fan).

Javi- circa 2011? - when he won Skate Canada - a Canadian fan (whom I met @ 2007 Skate America in Reading, PA) gave him a plush Donald Duck and another fan gave him a sombrero which he put on during his time in the K&C.

Of course, who can forget the times Yuzuru gets worried that he can't find his Pooh Bear, and Brian Orser makes sure it's there?

Nam Nguyen's camaraderie with Javi & Yuzuru in the Athlete's Lounge @ 2015 Worlds

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The best one I've experienced had to be the blackout at Skate DownUnder. Poor Maverick. He was getting ready to skate and suddenly poof! no lights. Awkward.

Not ISU, but at one of my competitions I had to frantically enlist the help of one of the mums to sew back up a few stitches that had come undone at the waist of my dress - while I was wearing it! (This is why you carry a sewing kit in your skate bag, folks. ;) )

Babbette1

On the Ice
Some of you may remember Rene Roca who was the first American skater to partner with a Russian male (Gorsha Sur). At the time they partnered, both had been World Competitors. When Gorsha convinced Rene to go back into competition (they had been in shows), USFSA said that he had to qualify by going through the entire dance test track.

So two World Competitors doing every dance from the Dutch Waltz on up. I wish there was video, and I'd just love to see the judges comments!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
An adorable Song Nan and Yuzu moment. https://youtu.be/9YzehrKaI24?t=2m15s After the cameras have stopped rolling a fan took this video.
At the very end of the Cup of China gala in 2011, where Yuzu placed 4th and Song Nan placed 3rd (amazing), Yuzu lands a quad and encourages Song to go and try it.
He pops the quad and tries to get off the ice, but Yuzu and Song's coach tell him to go and try again.
He lands the quad and Yuzu flies out to the rink to hug and celebrate with him. They bow to the crowd.

I do wish Song Nan would recover and we could see him at GPs again.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
Of course, who can forget the times Yuzuru gets worried that he can't find his Pooh Bear, and Brian Orser makes sure it's there?

The gif of that moment, Orser left it during SP and he makes sure to have it there at LP :laugh:

And Orser forgot again at Worlds 2015, Yuzu rushed to get it when tv/screen was showing the replay with the crew panicking trying to get him back to K&C :laugh2:. Pooh must always be in K&C on Brian's lap.

Fancam capturing the green room, at 0:44min a toy landed behind Yuzu..."whose toy is this?"...threw back, and landed behind the TV :laugh2: After that he tried to catch some toys that rained into the room.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The gif of that moment, Orser left it during SP and he makes sure to have it there at LP :laugh:

And Orser forgot again at Worlds 2015, Yuzu rushed to get it when tv/screen was showing the replay with the crew panicking trying to get him back to K&C :laugh2:. Pooh must always be in K&C on Brian's lap.

Fancam capturing the green room, at 0:44min a toy landed behind Yuzu..."whose toy is this?"...threw back, and landed behind the TV :laugh2: After that he tried to catch some toys that rained into the room.

Priceless! Thank you! I'm a sucker for watching figure skaters interacting with their stuffed animals! :biggrin:

Another moment I loved from this year's US Nationals. Someone gave Max Aaron a big autographed rubber duckie that he played with in the K&C following his free skate. :agree:

Last edited: