National Spelling Bee | Golden Skate

National Spelling Bee

Longhornliz

Final Flight
WAY TO GO DAVID SCOTT TIDMARSH!!!!!

I love watching the national spelling bee, even though I am a horrible speller myself. I got interested in 1997 when that really adorably spaztic girl from Brooklin won by spelling "Euonym" ( a good name or appropriate name for a person, place or thing) correctly... She knew how to spell it as soon as they anounced it and she screamed every letter shaking her hands in the air. She was queen dork of the 90's in my book.

here is a link to the video of the girl winning in 97, its a must see.
http://www.cnn.com/US/9705/29/spelling.bee.final/bee.39.espn.mov

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Did anyone see that clip of that poor kid fainting at the spelling bee yesterday? He fell right over. He got back up a few minutes later and immediately spelled the word correctly!

Kasey

Medalist
I thought that poor fainting kid, geeze! Poor thing! Must have been a lot of stress on him.

I guess I had mixed feelings about it. One was 'Way to go kiddo'. The other was, Get that poor kid off the stage and send him to Disneyland or something!

Kasey

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I guess I had mixed feelings about it. One was 'Way to go kiddo'. The other was, Get that poor kid off the stage and send him to Disneyland or something!
In this particular case, while the pressure of the situation certainly played into his fainting spell, there was more to it than that. I got the impression that maybe he was dehydrated or hadn't eaten or hadn't slept or wasn't feeling very well or a combination of things that added to that situation.

Like our favorite skaters, sometimes you have to just suck it up and go on. He did.

Question - Does anyone remember who the last winner of non-Indian extrction was? Who won in 2001? I should do a search - huh?

Just answered my own question - Sean Conley won in 2001. He is not of Indian extraction. Those from India have certainly dominated the winnings rounds recently. Also, more girls than boys have won the Bee but the last five winners have all been boys.

I was also interested to see that the winning word in 1984 was -
luge!

Last edited:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
It was quite a competition! I've always considered myself to be an above-average speller, but those 8th graders leave me in the dust every year.
Have you all seen "Spellbound" yet? I rented it last week and thought it was terrific, even though I'd seen the competition covered in the documentary and already knew who had won. It was very interesting to see how hard those kids worked to prepare for the bee.
Rave

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I loooooooooooooved Spellbound. I thought it was delightfully edited, some parts of it still have me laughing. :laugh:

lavender

Record Breaker
I like to watch but then I don't. Those kids look so stressful. It's good in away that they are experiencing it now but it only gets worst as you get older.