Nicolas Nadeau | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Nicolas Nadeau

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Kind of rough since I did this pretty quick and I've been learning Spanish instead of speaking French all year, so if someone wants to do a better translation feel free, but I had a bit of time so here:

In his sport, having a constant effort level makes all the difference. As he says so well, a day where everything goes well is easy, but the days when he’s tired and sore all over, when he feels like he’s at 60 or 70%, are the days when he has to give 100%.

Who is Nicolas Nadeau? He is a down-to-earth, very relaxed person who isn’t too stressed about life. What immediately impressed me about him (or what I noticed right away about him) was his ability to be himself. He is honest, loyal and passionate about figure skating. His is very conscience that the support of his family is precious and appreciates that his friends are understanding about his schedule. He knows that saying no to going out close to competitions is important. The days when it doesn’t go so well, well yes [il se traits de poche] (not sure how to translate this), but while laughing, nothing serious, all in lightness.

For Nicolas, whether it’s training or in competition, knowing how to adapt, adjust and be flexible are assets that allow him to remain calm. His worst moment; a bad performance in the long program at Canadian Nationals when he had a chance at a medal. What he learned from the situation; be better prepared. His best moment; his performance at Junior Worlds in 2016 because no matter the result, it was the performance of his life.

His strategy for effective training; when it isn’t working the way you want, you stop, reset and restart the training from the beginning. His effective competition strategy; the night before a competition he always eats steak. The day of the competition he eats moderately. He likes to create doubt in his mind (and his stomach) when he gets on the ice; “am I stressed or am I hungry?”

To keep his life balanced, Nicolas loves playing video games and seeing his friends. He trains five days a week (4 hours a day). He keeps the weekends to come down by doing different activities (like indoor surfing), relaxing, and sleeping so he has lots of energy and stays motivated. His message for tomorrow’s athletes: you succeed when YOU decide to put all the effort in, when it’s YOU who’s pushing yourself.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^ good job snow white

the part you don't know how to translate

il se traite de poche simply means that sometimes, he feels like a loser on the ice...

it says somewhere in the article that indeed, when training isn't going well, he simply stops, and resets, and starts the whole work out from scratch.

---I particularly liked that part because it is something quite useful when someone isn't in a good mind set. I think it's interesting because instead of focusing and then obsessing, about something that isn't working, starting from scratch can certainly help to calm down.

Perfume

Match Penalty
It's understandable, most top skaters feel defeated at some point in their lives. He has the goods. He will improve. Canadian men are not as dire as people think.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
wow... the second picture is taken at a very famous bar right next to my house LOL

it's called foufounes electriques or... in English : electrical butt ;)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
So... what do you guys think are the chances for Nic to get a host pick?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Who he competes with for the spot? I hope he'll get it, it would be nice boost to show program before bigger international audience.

Nam only has one spot... so if he shows great form early, SC could invite him to give him the chance to have 2 spots... but that's unlikely in my opinion since he would do russia and canada back to back.

Elladj : seems healthy, has been doing shows all over the place. has no GPs yet and it's probably his last season

Liam : we never know what they will do with Liam...

Bennet : he is doing well improving his quads... he is 20 or 21 now... so it's time for him to start getting GPs

I think Roman and Conrad will stick to Juniors GP.

So that's about it I would say.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Nic received a grant from the Fondation de l'athlète d'excellence du Québec, and he was interviewed in French: https://www.facebook.com/FAEQuebec/videos/1678351035526160/

ETA: Here's a photo: https://www.facebook.com/FAEQuebec/photos/a.1678892748805322.1073741897.234422633252348/1678893438805253/?type=3&theater

it's called foufounes electriques or... in English : electrical butt ;)

I didn't know what "foufoune" meant, and Google Translate offered a rude term for a specific part of the female anatomy as a translation. Is it correct?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Nic received a grant from the Fondation de l'athlète d'excellence du Québec, and he was interviewed in French: https://www.facebook.com/FAEQuebec/videos/1678351035526160/

I didn't know what "foufoune" meant, and Google Translate offered a rude term for a specific part of the female anatomy as a translation. Is it correct?

just means butt :) it is usually used for children ... it is not rude , more childish and has nothing to do with what google translate said... i reported it as wrong translation ;)

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
report from the interview linked above

He says : he is happy as it will help him to fund his short program. He is going to Toronto to create it with Shae-Lynn Bourne, one of the best choreographers in the world accordingly to him.

He says he is now 4th in Canada and is aiming at top 2 so he can get to the Olympics. He also says he needs to also get his technical minimums. He says he needs to be well-rounded.

And of course, when she asks 'how do you manage to deal with skating and school he answers candidly, we don't take many classes and we do homework at the last minute

PS I SKIPPED the boring things and the typical questions to focus on what Nic has to say... not a true transcript here

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Seriously, no one liked the above pic? I thought the view was lovely, in more ways than one. ;)

"Climbing to the top is harder than it seems" (there are two images in this set): https://www.instagram.com/p/BVKPeB2A84r/ I cracked up when one of his friends called him "petit singe" (little monkey). :laugh:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada