I'm worried 05' Worlds! | Golden Skate

I'm worried 05' Worlds!

novaspacedout

Match Penalty
I am extremely bothered by the possibility that even though Brian Joubert might put out the ultimate, beautiful, amazing performance of a lfetime Plushenko will win even though he might have a mediocre program. I pray that something like this doesn't happen! I mean look at what happened at the 04' Worlds: the German Stefan Lindemann robbed Stephane Lambiel of his bronze. Stephane Lindemann is a good skater, but nothing extraordinary. Now Lambiel is an amazing talent with awesome choreography that takes my breath away each time I watch him skate. I would like Irina Slutskaya to get back on the podium though. But the men's competition needs Joubert to win. So if he skates the best, give him (joubert) the gold, not Plushenko. But if Plushenko skates better than Joubert does FINE he wins! But please give the gold to who skates the best, not to who is favorite? Please we already saw this cruelty at Europeans when Plushenko got a medal when Frederic Dambier SHOULD HAVE GOT IT! Plushenko can stand to be OFF the podium. So unfair is judging! It is depressing at times! :cry: :(

thvudragon

On the Ice
:rolleye: Even IF Lambiel was placed third in the LP, he still would have been 4th overall because of his poor SP placement.

And Dambier should have beaten Plush at Euros? :laugh: Dambier with his empty program full of nothing but spread eagles and random arm waving was placed 4th and I think justifiably, but hey, that's just me. Plushenko still had better technical content despite the falls I thought.

TV

Last edited:
Nova = I wouldn't worry about it. I believe they will be using the CoP system. If that works, the best sportsman will win the technical. The Presentation continues to be a subjective score despite the limitations in the CoP. Those +s and -s will still help the biased judge to play hankey pankey. That's the nature of the sport.

The horror of it all, is that we won't know what judge is playing games. The secrecy continues. And even if they take the matter up in the followiing May, it will just be to slap the judge on the wrist and won't change the present scores.

Btw, your ignoring Lindemann is not good.

Joe

icenut84

Final Flight
novaspacedout said:
But the men's competition needs Joubert to win.

Why, exactly, does the men's competition "need" Joubert to win? Because he's your favourite? If he skates the best, he deserves to win, of course he does. Like at Europeans, when he skated the best and won. But Plushenko is a better all-around skater with more complexity in his routines and his repertoire, which is why he wins more often. I don't think any competition "needs" someone imparticular to win - apart from the skater who is best on the night.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Hey...the competition is in Moscow. Code of Points or not, if a healthy Plushenko competes and doesn't win....it will be THE upset to talk about for years to come.
Brian doesn't need it anyway...he wants to be ready to peak at the Olympics.

euterpe

Medalist
Dambier isn't a podium skater because all of his jumps are landed weirdly and he has to use body English to 'save' them--at Euros, he did not have one clean jump landing in his FS. I find his skating (and Klimkin's) excruciating to watch, because I know in advance there will be no smooth going.

Lindemann was able to hold it together when it counted, and Lambiel was not. Lambiel is a wonderful skater, but he is not a consistent skater: you never know which Stephane will show up--the one who lands his jumps and skates smoothly and with spirit, or the other Stephane, who flubs his jumps and skates erratically. When Lambiel is on, he approaches greatness, but when he is not, he can be dull and boring. Personally, Lindemann isn't my type of skater---big on energy, low on polish. But he did deserve his bronze medal.

I am a big Plushenko fan, and I don't see all the hullaballoo about Joubert. I find him stiff and his spins mediocre. Plushenko isn't a great spinner, either, but he is better than Brian in that department. Joubert can improve between now and February 2006, but right now, he does not measure up technically to Plushenko. IMHO, none of the skaters do.

Antilles

Medalist
Nova, you could take Plushy's winning next year as a positive sign for Joubert. Since 1987, the man who wins Worlds before an Olympics hasn't been able to win Olympics. Maybe Plushy doesn't want it next year.

lavender

Record Breaker
I was thinking why do we need Joubert to win worlds. It would be nice to see Buttle win too along with a few other great skates.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Since 1987, the man who wins Worlds before an Olympics hasn't been able to win Olympics.
Is Plushy Canadian? :laugh:

Out of the 19 winter Oly champs, only 7 of the men were world champs the previous year. Ladies faired better: 15 of the 19 were reighning world champs.

Antilles

Medalist
True, most of those guys from '87 on were Canadian. However, Plushy was the last guy to win Worlds right before the Olympics, but he didn't win in 2002.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Remember Plushenko lost twice this year. He hasn't been unbeatable. Though his getting on the podium at Euros after that skate does make you wonder. The truth, IMO, is that a clean Joubert just isn't a match for a clean Plushenko. His spins aren't good and he needs to clean up his presentation. He still has time before 2006. I wouldn't worry too much about whether he wins next year. The important thing is to see how much progress he has made. I hope he gives Plushenko a real battle at the Olympics. I don't have my heart set on any particular skater winning. I would just love to see a bunch of great performances.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
berthes ghost:

quote:Since 1987, the man who wins Worlds before an Olympics hasn't been able to win Olympics. Is Plushy Canadian?

What's this supposed to mean?

Antilles

Medalist
It means the winner of '87 Worlds was Brian Orser. 91 and 93 were Kurt Browning. 97 was Stojko. There's a pattern here. I don't believe the reason they didn't win is because they're Canadian. It's just coincidence, IMO. Besides, Plushy broker that Cdn mold in 02.

Spinner

Rinkside
Ladskater said:
What's this supposed to mean?
1987--Brian Orser won worlds, didn't win 88 Olys
1991 and 1993--Kurt Browning won worlds, didn't win 92 or 94 Olys
1997--Elvis Stojko won worlds, didn't win 98 Olys.

All Canadian men.

2001--Plushy won worlds, didn't win 02 Olys. That's the correlation made. Just a joke.

gracefulswan

On the Ice
novaspacedout said:
I am extremely bothered by the possibility that even though Brian Joubert might put out the ultimate, beautiful, amazing performance of a lfetime Plushenko will win even though he might have a mediocre program. I pray that something like this doesn't happen! I mean look at what happened at the 04' Worlds: the German Stefan Lindemann robbed Stephane Lambiel of his bronze. Stephane Lindemann is a good skater, but nothing extraordinary. Now Lambiel is an amazing talent with awesome choreography that takes my breath away each time I watch him skate. I would like Irina Slutskaya to get back on the podium though. But the men's competition needs Joubert to win. So if he skates the best, give him (joubert) the gold, not Plushenko. But if Plushenko skates better than Joubert does FINE he wins! But please give the gold to who skates the best, not to who is favorite? Please we already saw this cruelty at Europeans when Plushenko got a medal when Frederic Dambier SHOULD HAVE GOT IT! Plushenko can stand to be OFF the podium. So unfair is judging! It is depressing at times! :cry: :(

what does this mean? no, the men's competition doesn't NEED joubert to win anymore than it needs plush to win. btw, yea it will be tough for joubert to beat a clean plush in his home country. you might have some reason to lament already.... plush has the overall package right now. joubert will have to earn world gold medals and the olympic title over plushenko. and, no, i don't think plushenko will make it that easy for him as you are hoping, LOL. what? so then you can scream, "he was robbed!":rolleye:

Last edited:

anya_angie

Final Flight
*eyeroll* teens

Icenut, don't worry, it seems to be only teenagers who think that Plushenko didn't deserve the Worlds victory. I lost faith in teens long ago LOL.

LOL Joubert is just Yagudin's Mini-Me. Though I think Mini-Me is better (the original Mini-Me, Dr. Evil's Mini-Me). At least HE had some SUBSTANCE LOL and a mind of his own! I mean good jumps, good spins, but nothing in between. That equals the same as Goebel for me. Though even Joubert's presentation is slightly (by a nose) better.

Someone pry him away from Yagudin, he's starting to get an equally big head (even my friend Marsha who was a HUGE Yags fan has said this! Course she's one of the few fans who can point out flaws in their favorite skaters).

Last edited:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
LOL Joubert is just Yagudin's Mini-Me.
This type of lame simplistic bashing is getting very boring very quickly. Anyone who thinks that Jubert is just a Yags clone, but sees Plushy as his own man and not just Urmanov wearing blonde wig is a fool, I don't care how old you are. Let's try to keep the out-of-control hero worship in check, ok?

anya_angie

Final Flight
Sorry dear that was not meant to be a bash. Joubert is a great person. He seems incredibly sweet, I adore his personality. And his technique is wonderful. But like I said, there's nothing else to his skating except for his jumps and spins. I guess he's just young. I'll give him time and see what he can do. Hope he skates to something besides soundtracks. (and this is coming from someone who ADORES film scores).

millyskate

Rinkside
come on, that's just intellectual dishonesty. The guy has a big margin for improvement, and yes his presentation is not as mature as plushy's, and no he'll never skate to carmen or swan lake (i hope i don't have to eat my words) but he has charisma, presence and personality oozing out of him.
As for the yags resemblance, well all skaters have models and Joubert happens to have the same bodyshape as his and be trained by him. Hence the talk. But there are so many differences in personality and in skating technique that the cloning accusation is just silly. They don't even have the strengths or jumping technique.
Sorry if it seems a bit harsh, but i just don't get the not getting joubert thing. I don't really enjoy Lambiel's skating, not like many others anyway, but I have to admit he has charisma.

Last edited:

anya_angie

Final Flight
My analysis on things.

Talent when it comes to art
Plushenko
Weir
Klimkin
Dambier (so balletic it's incredible)
Lambiel
Joubert

Talent in technique
Goebel even though he might be out of the loop now
Klimkin (he can do a 4 salchow out of a reverse bracket turn or something like that, that's admirable, and can spin in both directions)
Plushenko (4t-2loop, 4t-3t-3l, 3a-hl-3fl, 3a-3t-2l, Biellmann, donut)
Joubert
Lambiel
Dambier

Joubert has massive potential, just as much as anyone else there, I never once said that he did not. I am just talking about now. Oh, but if he did my "Sanctuary" program, WATCH OUT PLUSHENKO. Heck, if anyone is able to succeed in doing that program, I feel terribly sorry for their rivals!

FYI people, I'll be posting some new programs in Le Cafe. One in particular would fit Joubert, The Life of a Star.