I know I wasn't asked, but here we are! This little interview with Mishin is directly after the European Championships long program. It can still be found at this site.
Here is the translation.
- Where's the cause of the loss?
- It's not possible to win always.
- But he was injured, even that wasn't the reason?
- Of course, he was injured. Because of the injuries he couldn't practise systematically. And that all causes problems.
- What is the final diagnose of Evgeni's problem?
- The final diagnose set the American doctor - it's a damaged meniscus.
- Plushenko lost today for the second time in the season (remember, he lost the final of Grand Prix Series, the first was skater Emanuel Sandhu) - it's an accident or the "first ring" (like first signal or warning)?
- Evgeni could won over Joubert if he hadn't wanted to break a record. But he said he wants to do his maximum. And he tried quad axel, though I told him not to do that. And the one technical error made the others then.
- Don't Evgeni's lately unsuccess bring competitors to him?
- Of course, it can't happen that you lose and no-one knows that.
- If you let me, I aprecciate Alexei Yagudin, who consults with Joubert these times, it is said, that the French skater closely fleeced Plushenko. Then began the rumors of psychologist...
- It's not neccesary to find any mystique in that. In sports losses are usual. No-one is unbeatable. Regarding Evgeni, I think he still plans something.
- As you had to say goodbye to any of your loved pupils, for example Alexei Urmanov, the time of Plushenko's leaving will come too - how will you survive that?
- For everytime, when somebody is leaving me, he goes out with a part of myself inside. I understand and accept this natural process.
- Last question, what can you say about bronze medallist Ilia Klimkin?
- Only the best. Klimkin is connecting wonderful thoughts of his dead coach Igor Rusakov and systematism of his current coach Viktor Kudriatsev. And that, as you can see, brought him succes.