Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Smarty Jones and Michelle Kwan

Custom Title

Smarty Jones and Michelle Kwan

I don't think an Olympic Gold for Michelle Kwan will make any difference to figureskating. I think figureskating is just going through an unpopular period which could be due to the judging scandals and also lack of sensational news.

As far as Michelle winning the gold in 2006, personally, I will just shrug and think "it's about time"! I don't believe an Olympic Gold will make Michelle nor figureskating more popular. Also Michelle has stated in the past that she does not want to skate in shows. So, even if she does win Olympic gold, will she skate professionally on tour?

Dizzy

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny
    With many of the high performance mares, they never become brood mares. Their most fertile time of life is also the most productive for their performance... so their eggs are harvested to avoid the mare's having to take a year off and loose her girlish figure.
    In order for a thoroughbred to race in the US, it has to be conceived the old fashioned way. No artificial insemination, or test tube foals allowed. Now, they may be valuable for other equestrian sports, but they would never be allowed on the track. (Just ask your dressage mare what she thinks about that! )

Dizzy - At this point in her life, I don't think MK cares one way or the other. I think she does want to skate in the Olys but winning is not a must. As for going "Pro", what ever that means. It can't mean money because she did better than all the others by remaining eligible

Maybe Disney will create Michelle Kwan and the Disney Ice Revue a la Sonia Henie.

Joe

Custom Title
    I would hope that the number of skating fans and general masses interested in skating would increase and remain high because of this beautiful sport of figure skating. It should not matter who wins and who doesn´t, if it is the sport one is really interested in. If a sport needs one figure head and for this figure head to win to become, be or remain popular sport, it is in wrong tracks, in my opinion. On the other hand - as mentioned by somebody already -, this sport must be cleaned out and anonymous judging abandoned.

Marjaana
    Last edited by Jaana; 07-31-2004 at 05:05 AM.

Linny, in the recent cover story on Michelle in Women's Health and Fitness

http://www.jimhancockproductions.com...helle_Kwan.htm

... er, I just happened to have a copy of this magazine laying around somewhere ... actually, this is a subject that I am quite interested in, you know, like keeping up with the latest fad diets, etc. ... no wait, I mean, I bought it for my wife...

Anyway, she says she wants to get married and have "three or four" kids when she is finished skating.

MM

Custom Title

3 or 4

Oh, my, 3 or 4 kids. Ambitious as always. Another poster pointed out that live cover must be used for TB races horses. Absolutely correct. One must assume that only Michelle's husband to be (when she chooses a husband) will know the full story.

For decorum's sake, methinks I must get my mind off the baser comparisons between figure skaters and horses. But there's an excellent best seller called "Stud" if anyone wants to read more details about procreation in horses.

Linny

Tripping on the Podium
    I think the media need to keep up with the sport. That is what will keep people interested.
    Ex: This year the most exciting events at worlds were by quite a long way men and pairs. The dance was still the french tv's priority because they seem to have forgotten that A&P have retired and that the french champ is now in the men's category, and they showed the ladies on saturday afternoon without even showing clips of the pairs. Joubert got a showing at 1am. How is he meant to create a french fan base? Other than the skating inconditionnals, and a couple of people in his home town who read the local papers no french person has ever heard of Joubert. They all knew about Candeloro and Bonaly ten years back.The pairs and the men, if well presentaed, would have made dramatic tv, all we got were sasha interviews and predictable performances, with shizuka's notable exception. The main point that was put foward by the commentators during the entire comp was that....sasha designs her own costumes. The only thing a random person watching it on tv will have remembered from the broacast. No wonder interest is dying.
    In the US I gather they for instance failed to broadcast Lambiel and litter their programs with fluff pieces. Fluff is not just irritating for the hard-core skating fan, it's also unbearable to the person who simply wants to watch a piece of entertaining figure skating.
    If the media put more thought into staging skating, IMO there would be plenty of interest.

millyskate - Much of what you say is true. The programming of events by the networks are really denigrating the sport. One doesn't have a chance to get to know so many skaters - many with talent - that never make the screen.

And it is so simple for the commentator to give a little fluff as the skter takes the ice including a question, will he make the quad. During the skate all he has to say is he made/missed the quad. or she flutz that lutz again. After the skate he could give a brief summary of his opinion of the skate. No special fluff plieces are needed.

As to the Men's and pairs, I have little to say about Pairs at dortmund except even with Zhao's fall, there was no doubt who was the better team, and imo, it was the best Men's ever. Just about everyone skated their LP as a best ever. Kevin vdp, Eman, and the British boy who was last after the SP skated so well, the aplause was deafinining No reason why we can't have that shown on TV, besides the usual suspects. The men's event was the best ever.

Joe

+ Medalist +
    Luckily, I believe they did air Stephane's 2004 Worlds LP on ESPN.

Custom Title

Smarty Jones retires to stud

Here's the url to a story detailing Smarty's farewell to racing:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5519117/

Let's hope that we do NOT have a parellel between Smarty and Michelle.

Linny

Creative Compilation Compiler aka 3axel
    If Michelle goes to the 2006 Olympics, she will be the biggest story going in. You know, the quest for the elusive OGM. Afterwards, the big story coming out will depend on the outcome. But it could still be Michelle, win or lose.

BTW, I hope that this equating Smarty Jones and Michelle doesn't mean that Michelle will be retired to a breeding farm. Ha Ha just kidding.

3axel
    Last edited by tripleflutz; 08-06-2004 at 02:25 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3