Grand Prix Assignments are up!!!! | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Assignments are up!!!!

thvudragon

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
Now, can someone please tell me why someone just out of hospital and with a nagging knee injury is opting to do three events?
The three GP assignments were probably decided before he was admitted to the hospital. Mishin says that it wasn't that serious and he would be able to train again soon. Also, he said the knee injury was no longer bothering him. He should though, get the surgery anyway. I have no idea why he would want to risk it with the Olympic season so close.

TV

Kateri

On the Ice
Does anyone know what it means if names are in italics on those ISU .pdfs?

kat.

YRLEE

Spectator
Skaters in italics

I think it is the non-scoring event for the skater.

Last edited:

Lucy25

Final Flight
Yipee, Michelle is doing the GP! SA should be a great ladies event! Although, being the first event of the season, I have to force myself not to expect too much.

Doing SA & SC, this gives MIchelle lots of time to try out the COP, then rest and tweak and prepare for the rest of the season. I really hope she is somewhat prepared for SA this year.

Kateri

On the Ice
thanks!

Now to find out why there are non-scoring events (I have no clue how the GP works!)

*goes off to google and expand her meagre knowledge...*

k.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Now to find out why there are non-scoring events
Non scoring events are only offered to seeded skaters (those who did well at the last worlds). It is a way for them to not only make more prize money and appearance fees, but they can also potentially stop rivals from making the final. If Plushy, for example, takes gold in a non scoring event, the silver medalist only gains 9 points, not 12. Thirdly, it's about bragging rights (I beat my rival in every event so far this season!).

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Kateri said:
Now to find out why there are non-scoring events (I have no clue how the GP works!)
Only two events actually count toward figuring out if skater qualifies toward GPF. Seeded skaters also get to do a third event -- if they medal, they get the prize money; also, if the skater places, say, 1st, he/she/they prevent someome else from placing 1st and getting 12 Grand Prix Points. I know it seems confusing, but once you start following Grand Prix, it all makes sense.

berthes ghost said:
Now, can someone please tell me why someone just out of hospital and with a nagging knee injury is opting to do three events?
My guess is he figures he can always refuse to do an event later.

Random throughts
  • Funny that Griazev and Lysacek go up against each other in both of their events.
  • What's up with Fumie Sugury? She is a seeded skater, yet she is not on the chart.
  • Where is Ann Patrice? She placed ahead of Bebe at Nationals, but is not on the chart.
  • Nice to see US getting 3 teams into SA.
  • Curious to see how Russia's Shestakova & Lebedev will do on the senior circuit. Same for some of Russia's dance teams, as well as Hoffman & Ellek.

Kateri

On the Ice
Thankyou Ptichka! Google was not being helpful...

Now, of course, I get upset that I won't see any of this, since Eurosport doesn't cover the GP....

k.

insecureedge

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
[[*]What's up with Fumie Sugury? She is a seeded skater, yet she is not on the chart.
[/list] [/B]

IIRC, only the top six finishers in each discipline are seeded. As this link to the most recent Worlds results show and replicated in brief below, Fumie Suguri finished 7th, and since none of the seeded women have withdrawn from the GP at this time, she remains unseeded and is therefore at the whimsy of the inviting federations holding the events.

1 Shizuka ARAKAWA JPN 2.6 1 2 1
2 Sasha COHEN USA 4.0 1 1 3
3 Michelle KWAN USA 5.6 3 4 2
4 Miki ANDO JPN 6.6 2 3 4
5 Carolina KOSTNER ITA 11.4 6 5 6
6 Julia SEBESTYEN HUN 11.8 3 6 7
7 Fumie SUGURI JPN 12.4 8 7 5
8 Joannie ROCHETTE CAN 15.4 5 9 8
9 Irina SLUTSKAYA RUS 17.8 5 8 11
10 Elena SOKOLOVA RUS 18.2 2 14 9
11 Elena LIASHENKO UKR 19.6 4 10 12
12 Susanna POYKIO FIN 20.6 4 15 10
13 Sarah MEIER SUI 23.8 9 12 13
14 Jennifer ROBINSON CAN 25.2 6 13 15
15 Viktoria VOLCHKOVA RUS 28.4 7 11 19
16 Idora HEGEL CRO 28.6 8 19 14
17 Anne Sophie CALVEZ FRA 29.8 9 17 16
18 Jennifer KIRK

Of note, Kwan and Cohen in the ladies (Skate America) and Joubert and Plushenko in the mens (Russia) are competing against each other before the GPF. Also Miki Ando competes against all three women that placed above her in Worlds; should be interesting to see her development. On the men's side, despite his troubles last year, Goebel has been invited to do two events, both outside the US (due to his high ISU ranking?).

InsecureEdge

euterpe

Medalist
What is most interesting is that Sasha will not face Arakawa in either of her two GP events. I wonder if that was Robin Wagner strategy or Tatiana Tarasova strategy.

Sasha does compete against Michelle at Skate America, but she knows Michelle doesn't skate all that well at the beginning of the season (I hope Michelle proves her wrong!).

Kateri said:
Thankyou Ptichka! Google was not being helpful...

Now, of course, I get upset that I won't see any of this, since Eurosport doesn't cover the GP....

k.

And don't expect ABC to show much of this except for the Usual Suspects.

As to that knee, it is a very mysterious ailment. It's getting to the point that if he skates badly, I don't want to hear about the knee. Anyone got real news on this mystery knee?

As to MK, she's wising up. She'll know now how important those triple triples are and that quad. This could be her swan song..

As to BB Liang - only one GP. No way will we see her in the Final. Yet we have 2 Corwins and 2 Kirks.

US Men - Nice to see Johnny with 3 after 0 last year. Savoie with only l, Janhke with 2 No Scott; No Bradley.

Pairs - Absolutely no seeds for the USA but Orscher and Lucash with 2. Scott and Duelebohn get 1.

Dance= Belbin and Agosto seeded with 3 and Gregory and Petchukov with 2 (not bad!)

Seeing Lindeman with 3 places, I assume that the seeds are based on the last Worlds?

There are some HOT competitions in all of these Events!!

My questions, please: Does the ISU have a say in who is picked for these events? I believe it is solely by the Federations? These will change as time goes by?

Joe

berthes ghost

Final Flight
This could be her swan song..
Huh? Whah?

I thought that the whole meaning of "swan song" was "beautiful end". Why would anyone in their right mind quit the season before Oly after doing well? It ain't gonna happen mate.

euterpe

Medalist
Actually, Scott and Dulebohn have two events: China and Russia.
All the top 4 Pairs teams (Don/Hunt, Orscher/Lucash, Inoue/Baldwin, Scott/Dulebohn) have two events each. Only Vise/Kole has one assignment.

If 3/3s and quads are what's important and can't-do-withouts, then the entire US Ladies team ought to pack up and move out. Kwan isn't the only one without exotic jumps. Cohen hasn't any, nor does Kirk, and Corwin has only 3T/3T. Sasha SAYS she's working on them, but last season she had problems landing just ordinary triples.

Let's see how the 3/3s and quads do under CoP. Last season, skaters were dinged badly for underrotated jumps.

Last edited:

Bynx

On the Ice
Lucy25 said:
Yipee, Michelle is doing the GP! SA should be a great ladies event! Although, being the first event of the season, I have to force myself not to expect too much.

Doing SA & SC, this gives MIchelle lots of time to try out the COP, then rest and tweak and prepare for the rest of the season. I really hope she is somewhat prepared for SA this year.

If Arutunian's words are of any indication
I think she will be or more so than she has
been in previous years.

Bynx

On the Ice
euterpe said:

If 3/3s and quads are what's important and can't-do-withouts, then the entire US Ladies team ought to pack up and move out. Kwan isn't the only one without exotic jumps. Cohen hasn't any, nor does Kirk, and Corwin has only 3T/3T. Sasha SAYS she's working on them, but last season she had problems landing just ordinary triples.

Let's see how the 3/3s and quads do under CoP. Last season, skaters were dinged badly for underrotated jumps.

Absolutely! :)

If this new system is passed it'll be a good thing that
clean 3/3's no matter the difficulty will be more rewarded
than more difficult but cheated 3/3's.

I don't think skaters were dinged that badly last year.
Shizuka's 3/3's at worlds where one was clearly cheated
and the other quite questionable, she faired well. However,
maybe that does explain how Cohen and Kwan (who skated well) were able to take 1st place ordinals away from here.

This promises to be a very interesting and exciting season! :D

thvudragon

On the Ice
Bynx said:
I don't think skaters were dinged that badly last year.
Shizuka's 3/3's at worlds where one was clearly cheated
and the other quite questionable, she faired well. However,
maybe that does explain how Cohen and Kwan (who skated well) were able to take 1st place ordinals away from here.
That was at Worlds where there was no CoP. During the GP, I think 2 of her 3/3s were called as 3/2s because the 3 toe was underrotated, so she was dinged badly (losing 3.3 points each combo, and ontop of that, a worse GoE).

TV

guinevere

Final Flight
I'm excited to see Johnny in the GP, but I wonder how he'll be doing by Nationals - the last 2 years, IIRC, he was not in the GP (2002-03 wasn't he injured and pulled out of his events?), and did great in Nationals (just talking SHORT program in 2003). He pulled it together this year to win Nationals, and to do very well at his first Worlds, but I am interested to see how he does with a whole season of competition. He definitely is NOT backing down from any challenges - in his 3 events, he will meet both Joubert and Plushenko twice!

I am also psyched to see Michelle doing the GP again. She just has to, if she has any designs on the next Olympics. I do wish she'd be doing one non-NA competition, but the timing of doing SA and SC, then having time to prepare for Nationals, has always served her well.

guinevere

Does anyone know how much input the skaters themselves get, as far as which events they skate at? I assume that Michelle (aka the 800 pound gorilla) got her first choice, Skate America and Skate Canada. She does not like to travel and always choses to stay home as much as possible. Plus, she's a huge draw in North America, so presumably the organizers and sponsers want her at these two events.

Does anyone know if Skate China (along with Skate America) was Sasha's first choice, or if the USFSA and/or the ISU just assigned her there? Usually Sasha likes to skate in Europe, and in the past she has done very well there. Is there any politics involved, like the event organizers try to influence the ISU to assigned the most popular skaters to their event?

Wow, what a grand slam the ladies' competition at Skate America is shaping up to be! :love:

Mathman :)

Last edited: