Bruno Massot released from French Federation | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Bruno Massot released from French Federation

nipman

On the Ice
Well, I'm so happy for them. But they have to bring their A game in order to fight with many fresh and young pairs which have 3Lz SBS jumps, 4Twist, and 4Sal Throw...

alebi

Medalist
I'm really happy to see Aliona and finally Bruno skate again. But the whole story between French and German Feds is disgusting :disapp:
As someone already said, the French Fed has just started its political campaign. Plus is literally disrespectful from the German Fed to ask Bruno to pay the release. The pair already had to pay everything for their training during this time, with no support from anyone. I can't help but quote this! :scowl:

In my opinion, that's extortion. While the skater or team is representing the country, that country is benefiting from the press and exposure, the mentorship opportunities, often there are fund-raising events for the federation or sport in which these top skaters would participate. And when the team or skater is a top international competitor, they are earning additional spots for the country for other up and coming teams. The value for the money is provided back at the time it is being given (as opposed to the education example where a student gets the benefit and provides the return on investment later). And we need to keep in mind these are amateur athletes, not NBA or FIFA athletes. There needs to be a constant, consistent ISU-wide policy around country transfers - 1 year, or maybe 2 years for a world top 10 athlete, and then the transfer is automatic. The federation should not "own" the athlete, giving them the effective right of destroying the athlete's career. This nonsense with Massot and Zahorski is politics, power and control, with a healthy dose of extortion, in my opinion.

kinoriH

Final Flight
"Representing your country" is an outdated, pointless mode of thinking. For the Olympics, okay sure whatever, because that event is about "World Peace". But the point of athletics and performing is not to represent your country. There is only this world we live in, filled with people who do what they do regardless of where they live. It doesn't matter if the top 100 are all from Italy. They are the best 100.

i see your point, but it's not like she never got the chance to prove she can be an olympic gold medalist before.

tulosai

Record Breaker
i see your point, but it's not like she never got the chance to prove she can be an olympic gold medalist before.

I don't see how this is relevant? Should top athletes not be able to keep competing after they get a chance to win a major event? Should they be forbidden from trying to win it again? Should every skater who competes at the Olympics once never be able to enter again, because they had the chance to win, oh well? Should winners not be allowed to come back and win again? This is totally contrary to the idea of the sport.

Weathergal

Medalist
Until figure skating makes its next resurgence in popularity (always hopeful :biggrin:), most if not all countries, won't have a wealth of partners for pairs skaters and ice dancers to choose from. So I think that skating needs to be realistic about the limited choices for partners, especially at the top levels, and not make it so difficult for skaters to form a partnership if one of the partners is willing to switch countries.

QuadThrow

Medalist
The German Federation confirmed Bruno´s release today. The Federation paid 30,000Euro by its own to the French Federation. Aljona and Bruno must paid a part of the money back some day.

The pair is going to start in Tallin next week.

Meoima

Match Penalty
The German Federation confirmed Bruno´s release today. The Federation paid 30,000Euro by its own to the French Federation. Aljona and Bruno must paid a part of the money back some day.
Seriously... They still have to pay that ransom. Gezzzz...

Alex D

Record Breaker
There is also going to be an ice show at Chemnitz in December (Emotions on Ice).

Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford
Elizaveta Nugumanova,
Nelli Zhiganshina & Alexander Gazsi,
Shawn Sawyer
Lutricia Bock
Yukina Ota
Andrey Babichev

will participate, together with Aljona and Bruno. It will be on the 27th, at the faire in Chemnitz. Tickets range from 45-60 Euro.

lyndichee

Medalist

I wish them a lot of success so they can pay it back easily. I remember Aljona and Robin always had financial issues so hopefully they can get some help in the form of sponsors.

Botan

Rinkside
I wish them a lot of success so they can pay it back easily. I remember Aljona and Robin always had financial issues so hopefully they can get some help in the form of sponsors.

Finding sponsors in Germany will be difficult because skating is pretty much nonexistant. Even after world and Olympic medals Aljona and Robin had hardly any support or media attention. The only channel that still shows skating is Eurosport and even they have admitted that ratings for skating are very low ( even by their standards ). It took Aljona and Robin years to land a decent sponsoring deal ( with a Swiss bank or something, nothing in Germany ).

I think it will be even harder for Aljona and Bruno because they haven't achieved anything yet. At least they have their federations support.

TheBladeBoys

Rinkside
Good luck to them in Tallinn!

Here's an interview we did with these two a while back at Nebelhorn... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9vRdcM3waQ You can see he's a bit of a goof and she's the quintessential professional. :laugh:

We actually thought it would take ages for the French fed to release them... but so thrilled they can finally compete! :dance:

lyndichee

Medalist
Finding sponsors in Germany will be difficult because skating is pretty much nonexistant. Even after world and Olympic medals Aljona and Robin had hardly any support or media attention. The only channel that still shows skating is Eurosport and even they have admitted that ratings for skating are very low ( even by their standards ). It took Aljona and Robin years to land a decent sponsoring deal ( with a Swiss bank or something, nothing in Germany ).

I think it will be even harder for Aljona and Bruno because they haven't achieved anything yet. At least they have their federations support.

Yep I am very aware of that but better to get something than nothing. It is probably going to be just as costly for training plus to 30 000 euros. If they do well at least the prize money can help foot some of the costs.

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Wasn't part of the financial problem that Aljona and Robin had to pay for their coach Ingo Steuer themselves (because the German Fed wasn't allowed to pay him)? Bruno and Aljona are not trained by Steuer, so this shouldn't be a problem now.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Wasn't part of the financial problem that Aljona and Robin had to pay for their coach Ingo Steuer themselves (because the German Fed wasn't allowed to pay him)? Bruno and Aljona are not trained by Steuer, so this shouldn't be a problem now.

That is true. Nevertheless financial problems won't be small for aljona and bruno.

Aljona and Ingo were a couple for so some years. It seems that they do not even speak to each other now. In addition the relationship to robin should not be so close.

I have always been fascinated how sport brings different people together if there had been the same aim. And at the end there are big conflicts because the realtionship has been defined through the sport.

moriel

Record Breaker
That is true. Nevertheless financial problems won't be small for aljona and bruno.

Aljona and Ingo were a couple for so some years. It seems that they do not even speak to each other now. In addition the relationship to robin should not be so close.

I have always been fascinated how sport brings different people together if there had been the same aim. And at the end there are big conflicts because the realtionship has been defined through the sport.

I recall a storry of a russian / soviet team that would avoid any interactions outside training etc to make sure they don´t mess up their work relationship before Olympics...

Meoima

Match Penalty
I recall a storry of a russian / soviet team that would avoid any interactions outside training etc to make sure they don´t mess up their work relationship before Olympics...
Don't forget...Oh well... Grisukh and Platov...