Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Ohio Derby!

On the Ice
    Johar-

Thanks so much! Can you point me toward any online sources where I can do some digging about Irish Escapade?

I really, really appreciate your help.

I worked with Escapade from the time he was foaled until he was sent to Thistledown. He was a real stinker! He's a beautiful boy - I'd love to find out if he is still alive and if so where he is now.

Crud! Six Perfections, the black mare who won the BC Mile last year, just badly lost the Queen Anne Stakes at Royal Ascot.

Refuse To Bend wins, Soveit Song 2nd, Salselon(sp?) 3rd, Nebraska Tornado 4th.

Custom Title

Smarty Jones Update

I just heard that Smarty Jones will run in 3 more races this year, and will then retire to stud.

I'm sure the final race will be the Breeders' Cup Classic at 1 1/4 mile in Texas.

The other two races will most likely be two of these:

Jim Dandy (Saratoga), 3YO, 1 1/8 mile
    Haskell (Monmouth), 3YO, 1 1/8 mile
    Whitney (Saratoga), 3YO and older, 1 1/4 mile
    Travers (Saratoga), 3YO, 1 1/4 mile
    Pennsylvania Derby (Philadelphia Park), 3YO, 1 1/8 mile

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    And unfortunately it's because the cost of insuring him if he ran next year would be too costly. No wonder the sport is in decline. By the time people get to recognize a horse, he's retired to stud (with the rare exception of a gelding naturally). This would be like a figure skater winning the OGM, and never skating at all, even in the pros. Absurd.

On the Ice
    Johar-

Thanks so much for the links. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find anything on Escapade in the free sections. I don't really want to pay as I can't justify the cost versus how much I'd use the pay services.

One thing I found unsettling on some of the sites was the way race horses get "used up" and are then seemingly "discarded". I hope Escapade didn't suffer that fate.

And a million depressions about Smarty. Bronxgirl, you are so right about short careers being almost forced due to insurance costs.

Irish Escapade:

7 crops, 68 runners, 48 winners, 3 stakes winners. Died in 1988.

Smarty may still run as a 4 year old!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032808/

It seems the Chapmans would like to let Smarty run as a 4 year old if at all possible. Good for them!

Good! We need iolder stars in the sport, especially now that Congaree, Johar and Medaglia d'Oro have retired.

Remember how Cigar didn't start doing much until he was 5 and 6? He ended up winning 16 major races in a row, including the BC Classic, Dubai World Cup, Donn H., Gulfstream Park H., Oaklawn Park H., and Woodward H, the Pimlico Special, the Hollywood Gold Cup, and the Jockey Club Gold Cup.
    Last edited by Johar; 06-17-2004 at 07:49 AM.

Check out this field for the Mass Cap:

Suffolk Downs - June 19th, 2004 - Race 10
    Massachusetts H. - Grade: 2
    Estimated Local Post Time: 5:30 PM
    Race Type: Stakes
    Purse: $500,000
    Distance: One And One Eighth Miles
    Surface: Dirt

Post Horse Name Age Sex Weight Jockey Name
    1 Offlee Wild (KY) 4 Colt 111 Edgar S. Prado
    2 The Lady's Groom (KY) 4 Colt 112 Horacio Karamanos
    3 Basil's Rhythm (KY) 6 Horse 109 Vernon Bush
    4 Gygistar (KY) 5 Gelding 113 Joe Bravo
    5 Sarava (KY) 5 Horse 112 Javier Castellano
    6 On the Game (KY) 6 Horse 110 Raul I. Rojas
    7 Funny Cide (NY) 4 Gelding 117 Jose A. Santos
    8 Evening Attire (KY) 6 Gelding 114 Shaun Bridgmohan
    9 Rogue Agent (NY) 5 Gelding 111 Jorge F. Chavez

Remember, Sarava won the Belmont, beating War Emblem. And Funny Cide was up for the TC.

Custom Title
    Here's more info on the Mass Cap:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=22999

I've always like Evening Attire, a 6-year-old gelding. Funny Cide is the favorite, Evening Attire the 2nd favorite. Sarava hasn't been very consistent these past few years. Many (but not all) of Belmont Stakes winners who stole TCs are like that--won that big one, but nothing much afterward.

Here's more news on Smarty:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=23002

Looks like they're not ruling out Smarty running as a 4-year-old. Yet.

I like the idea that they're considering running him in the Jockey Club Gold Cup on Oct 1 at Belmont (I always go to that race at Belmont in the fall). That would give Smarty a chance to test himself against older horses before the Breeders' Cup Classic at Lone Star in Texas on Oct 30.
    Last edited by chuckm; 06-17-2004 at 09:13 AM.

Unfortunately the Mass cap won't be on TV

There won't be any televised races until July.
    Last edited by Johar; 06-17-2004 at 10:10 AM.

I will always have a soft spot for Funny Cide

Custom Title
    I’m hoping that TVG will carry the Mass Handicap. I have satellite, and TVG is part of my Sports Package.

A Reminiscence about Great Horses: Holy Bull-Cigar-Skip Away

Holy Bull was the 1994 3YO champ and Horse of the Year and he was as celebrated then as Funny Cide or Smarty Jones, even though he ran 12th in the Kentucky Derby and didn’t start in the other Triple Crown races. What Holy Bull’s owner/trainer did with him was to run him against OLDER horses, and “the Bull” demolished every field he ran against. Holy Bull was the 1994 3YO Champion and Horse of the Year, and his owner/trainer decided to keep him running as a 4-year-old, to the joy of race fans everywhere.

Cigar, a foal of 1990, made his first start as a 3-year-old and because he was bred for the turf, 12 of his first 13 races were on turf. He was mediocre as a turf horse, compiling a turf record of 12 (1-2-4). Until July 1994, Cigar had been running mostly in California, when Allan Paulson sent him to the Bill Mott barn in New York. Mott ran him in a few more grass races, then decided to try him on dirt in a Belmont allowance race in October, 1994. Cigar won the race by 8 lengths and began his string of 16 wins.

In February 1995, Holy Bull met up with Cigar for the first—and last—time in the Donn Handicap, and in the backstretch, Holy Bull was pulled up with a career-ending injury. But Cigar picked up the baton and racked up 16 consecutive wins. That string of wins included some of the richest stakes races, including the 1995 Dubai World Cup and the 1995 Breeders' Cup Classic, and Cigar was named the 1995 and 1996 Horse of the Year. The last race in the string came in his 6-year-old season on July 13, 1996 at Arlington (I was fortunate enough to be there that day). Cigar's last win was the 1996 Woodward Stakes. He lost the Jockey Club Gold Cup a few weeks later to 3YO champion Skip Away, and after finishing 3rd in the 1996 Breeders' Cup Classic, Cigar retired the richest racehorse (nearly $10M) in US history. America was so taken with this "wonder horse" that he was honored in a celebration of his retirement at Madison Square Garden in NYC in 1996.

Skip Away was the champion 3YO in 1996, and he stepped into Cigar's footsteps as the next racing hero when the Hineses (she owned/he trained) decided to keep racing him as a 4- and 5-year old. Skip Away won the 1997 Breeders Cup Classic and was named Champion older Horse in 1997. In 1998, by virtue of winning 8 races (5 of them Grade 1s), Skip Away was named 1998 Champion Older Horse and Horse of the Year.

The sad thing is that since Skip Away retired, there really hasn’t been a “big horse” to replace him, because nearly all the top 3YOs were retired at the end of the season (Silver Charm was the exception) and any ‘late bloomers’ who won the big money races retired shortly thereafter.

Those Holy Bull / Cigar / Skip Away years were SO great! When will it ever happen again?

Mineshaft, Congaree and Medaglia d'Oro were all nice older horses. :D

There's also foreign horses now and of the recent past that are very good--Lonhro, Giant's Causeway, Sunline, Haafhd, Refuse To Bend, Russian Rhythm...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast