The Ohio Derby! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The Ohio Derby!

euterpe

Medalist
I have never liked Wayne Lukas because he seems to have no real concern for the horses he trains or the jockeys he uses.

When the jockeys were complaining because of the very low weight they are expected to maintain (112 libs) and wanted the minimum raised by 2-3 lbs, Lukas wasn't the least bit sympathetic, and said all the physical problems the jockeys endure due to purging, steambaths and starvation were just part of the game and they had no right to complain.

When Charismatic broke down during the Belmont (he was trying to win the Triple Crown), Lukas didn't seem to care at all about the horse. He never went back to the barn afterwards to see how the horse was. He seemed to be highly annoyed that he had not become a Triple Crown winning Trainer, and that's all.

I guess so many of his horses have broken down and had to be destroyed that it meant nothing whatsoever to him personally.

One positive thing from my point of view is that many of the owners who used to routinely send their 2-year-olds to Lukas to train have stopped doing so. Apparently too many of them either never made it to the racetrack or broke down early on. That's why Lukas hasn't had many quality Kentucky Derby entries in the past few years.

Johar

Medalist
D. Wayne Lukas.

He ran Azeri 4 times this year:

1. Won the Apple Blossom w/Mike Smith - usually when a horse is reassigned from a previous good trainer, he/she wins the first race.

2. Humana Distaff: lost, ran 2nd, with Smith in the saddle.

3. Metropolitan: finished 8th of 9, with Pat Day in the saddle.

4. O Phipps: finished 4th and last with Pat Dat in the irons.

bronxgirl

Medalist
It seemd that as in figure skating, one training style clearly does not suit all champions (equine or human). The problem is, the equines can't speak up to say what the issue is. (Hmm, maybe Azeri wants to be on the Russian bus with Johnny Weir? :laugh: :laugh: )

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmm. The Apple Blossom was April 3, and Azeri won. The Humana was on May 1st--she finished 2nd. Then the Met Mile, May 31, running against older males where she finished 8th of 9. So after that bad race, why did Lukas run her less than 3 weeks later in the Ogden Phipps? And why with Pat Day again?

Under Laura deSeroux, Azeri was a monster horse, and she loved competing. It seems as if she doesn't want to do it any more, so why is Lukas pushing her so hard?

bronxgirl

Medalist
At least they're giving him the rest a horse needs after such a grueling campaign. He'll be ready for the big boys in the Classsic. I just hope that they do let him run as a 4 year old. The fillies can wait a year!

euterpe

Medalist
It's really weird that they will run mares until they are 5 or 6 (even the really great ones). I seem to recall that Lukas ran one of his mares (the one who won the Distaff Breeders' Cup) when she was pregnant. But a colt that wins just one Classic (Ky Derby, Preakness, Belmont, Travers) will be immediately retired at the end of his 3YO season.

bronxgirl

Medalist
I read in the New York Times this AM that the owners of Smarty are considering the Dubai World Cup for him nixt year as a 4 year old. NOOOO!! :eek:
It seems that every good older horse who has traveled there has not come back the same horse! Please don't look at the purse (he's won enough bonuses!).
If he runs as a 4 year old and you want to let him run overseas, how about the Prix de l"Arc de Triomphe? Anything but the Dubai! :eek: :eek:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It seems few horses return from Dubai and revert to their previous form. Silver Charm was never the same, but Cigar did escape the curse, and won quite a few races after his win there.

But I'd rather have Smarty go to Dubai at 4 rather than retire altogether at 3. Dubai, if I'm not mistaken, is in March. That would mean he'd have to have at least one or two prep races as a 4YO in the US before going to Dubai. :)

Isn't l' Arc de Triomphe a grass race? Smarty's never run on the turf, and Europe is not the place to try it for the first time.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The first leg of the Triple Tiara for 3YO fillies was run yesterday at Belmont. The 9-furlong Mother Goose Stakes was won by the longest shot (29-1) on the board, Stellar Jayne, by 2.5 lengths. Odds-on favorite Ashado and Island Sand were 2nd and 3rd. The next two legs will be the Coaching Club American Oaks (1.5 mi) at Belmont on July 24, and the Alabama (1.25 mi) at Saratoga on August 21st.

What's interesting is that Stellar Jayne is trained by Wayne Lukas, and the Mother Goose was Stellar Jayne's eighth start in 6 months! I wonder whether front-running Stellar Jayne can pull off another upset in the Coaching Club and Alabama.

Johar

Medalist
I picked Stellar Jayne for show money, but had Ashado/Island Sand /Society Selection in a box tri.

Last edited:

Johar

Medalist
Belmont Park - July 3rd, 2004 - Race 7

Suburban H. - Grade: 1

Estimated Local Post Time: 4:20 PM

Purse: $500,000
Distance: One And One Fourth Miles
Surface: Dirt

Post -Horse -Name- Age-- Sex -Weight- Jockey Name

1 Funny Cide (NY) 4 Gelding 117 Jose A. Santos

2 Newfoundland (KY) 4 Colt 114 John R. Velazquez

3 Peace Rules (FL) 4 Colt 120 Jerry D. Bailey

4 Sarava (KY) 5 Horse 113 Javier Castellano

5 Devil Time (OH) 7 Gelding 113 William D. Troilo

6 Colonial Colony (KY) 6 Horse 116 Rafael Bejarano

7 Dynever (KY) 4 Colt 116 Corey S. Nakatani

8 Bowman's Band (KY) 6 Horse 115 Jorge F. Chavez

bronxgirl

Medalist
I didn't know Funny CIde was going to run in the Suburban! Looks like a great line-up! Hope it's not too hot (his trainer thinks he doesn't do well in hot weather and would scratch him).

Go Funny Cide! :love:

Johar

Medalist
I be cheering for Dance In The Mood, a daughter of my beloved Sunday Silence! It's nice to see a good runner of Sunday Silence running over here, not that there are many here anyways.

Hollywood Park - July 3rd, 2004 - Race 6
American Oaks - Grade: 1
Estimated Local Post Time: 2:45 PM
Purse: $750,000
Distance: One And One Fourth Miles
Surface: Turf

Post- Horse -Name- Age- Sex -Weight -Jockey Name

1 Misty Heights (GB) 3 Filly 121 Victor Espinoza
2 Mambo Slew (KY) 3 Filly 121 Mike E. Smith
3 Boulevardofdreams (NZ) 4 Filly 125 Gary Grylls
4 Hollywood Story (KY) 3 Filly 121 Patrick A. Valenzuela
5 Amorama (FR) 3 Filly 121 Kerwin John
6 Dance in the Mood (JPN) 3 Filly 121 Yutaka Take
7 Ticker Tape (GB) 3 Filly 121 Kent J. Desormeaux
8 French Lady (NZ) 4 Filly 125 Jon Kenton Court
9 Western Ransom (KY) 3 Filly 121 Ryan Fogelsonger
10 Western Hemisphere (CA) 3 Filly 121 David Romero Flores
11 Eternal Melody (NZ) 4 Filly 125 Alex O. Solis
12 Lovely Rafaela (KY) 3 Filly 121 Martin A. Pedroza
13 Steel Princess (IRE) 3 Filly 121 Tyler Baze
14 Sagitta Ra (KY) 3 Filly 121 Javier Santiago

Johar

Medalist
The G1 United Nations Handicap at Monmouth on Saturday. 1 3/8 and $750,000

The field, in post-position order, with [sire], jockey, weight, and trainer:

1. In Hand (Belong to Me), Stewart Elliott, 118, Philip Oliver;

2. Request for Parole (Judge T C), Edgar Prado, 118, Stanley Hough;

3. Balto Star (Glitterman), Jose Velez Jr., 118, Todd Pletcher;

4. Nothing to Lose (Sky Classic), Richard Migliore, 118, Bobby Frankel;

5. Bowman Mill (Kris S.), Joe Bravo, 118, Michael Dickinson;

6. Hard Buck [Brz] (Spend a Buck), Brice Blanc, 122, Ken McPeek;

7. Mr O'Brien [Ire] (Mukaddamah), Ramon Dominguez, 120, Robin Graham;

8. Megantic (Theatrical [Ire]), Julian Pimentel, 118, Norman Pointer;

9. Better Talk Now (Talkin Man), Eibar Coa, 118, H. Graham Motion;

10. Catechol (Major Impact), Michael Baze, 118, Glenn Thompson;

11. Final Prophecy (World Stage [Ire]), Edwin King Jr., 118, Jane Cibelli; and

12. Meteor Storm [GB] (Bigstone [Ire]), Jose Valdivia Jr., 122, Wally Dollase.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have never forgiven Bobby Frankel for taking Empire Maker out of the Preakness and running him in the Belmont just to spoil Funny Cide's quest of the Triple Crown. And I don't think I will ever forgive Jerry Bailey for wasting his horse (Eddington) just to keep Smarty Jones from winning the Triple Crown (somehow, I think Bailey and Solis [on Rock Hard Ten] just didn't want Stew Elliott to win the Triple Crown in his first try). Bailey is riding Peace Rules, trained by Frankel, so there's a double reason for me to not want him to win the Suburban.

I will be rooting for Funny Cide all the way. The forecast for July 3rd is 81 degrees, and there should be a decent breeze, since Belmont isn't far from the ocean, so I don't think the heat will be a problem. The one advantage he has over Peace Rules is that PR has never won at 1.25 miles, and of course Funny Cide has!

The Suburban and several other races will be shown as part of the NTRA series on Saturday, July 3rd at 4pm on ESPN. They are the Suburban (gr. I, Belmont); Firecracker Breeders' Cup (gr. IIT), Churchill Downs; United Nations Handicap (gr. IT), Monmouth Park; and American Oaks (gr. IT), Hollywood Park.

Johar

Medalist
Since horses can't pick and choose who their trainers and owners are, I don't hold ill will towards the horse itself. The connections, maybe, but not the horse.

Churchill Downs - July 3rd, 2004 - Race 8
Firecracker Breeders' Cup H. - Grade: 2
Estimated Local Post Time: 4:55 PM
Race Type: Stakes
Purse: $250,000
Distance:One Mile
Surface: Turf

1 Royal Spy (FL)
Robby Albarado-jockey
K. K. and V. D. Jayaraman 6 Horse 118
Thomas M. Amoss-trainer
Dr. K. K. Jayaraman & Dr. V. DeviJayaraman 3/1