Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Hughes May Return

Custom Title
    I guess when we see Sarah's name in a USFSA envelope, or under a "B" International on the USFSA International Assignments page, we will know she really means business.

Until then, it's all just spin.

Custom Title
    I'm cracking up at this thread and the whole thought of this comeback just a few days after the I'm returning to normal article.

I think if she comes back (which I think would be interesting) she will immediately leave if she can not deal with not placing on the podium. Skating and Sarah has changed a lot since she left. I think she can get in shape because I'm sure she can if she puts her mind to it but it won't be the same.
    Last edited by lavender; 06-10-2004 at 09:37 AM.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Originally posted by gezando
    Great news. I miss her so much, hope she is really returning to skate. Tarasova will be a good choice for her.
    Gezando, I was thinking the same thing. Now wouldn't that cause a stir.

Dee

Custom Title
    Tarasova has said she doesn't want to coach US skaters on a permanent basis. Besides, she has Arakawa and I think that will keep TT hopping.

Logistically, I don't see how Sarah could possibly make a comeback this season unless she had already started training. As she doesn't have a coach, and as of May 30 she was talking about how burned out she was after the Olympics, I think this is another one of those I will-I won't-Iwill-I won't interviews.

As others have said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by chuckm
    Tarasova has said she doesn't want to coach US skaters on a permanent basis. Besides, she has Arakawa and I think that will keep TT hopping.
    s others have said, I'll believe it when I see it.
    Did TT say she does not want to coach US skaters? I thought she said high profile US skaters should be coached by high profile US coach.

Even though Sarah is the reigning Olys champion, she is really not high profile, and there is no hype around her. One of her last tv fluff piece prior to US nationals, a humble and down to earth Sarah said, "I am not defending a US title, just (humble) defending a bronze"

Even though Arakawa is the reigning world champion, she is not exactly high profile, with a ton of hype surrounding her either. I think coaching both should not be too much of a problem for TT.

I don't think she will be making a come back, although I want her to. Sarah is just too gifted and talented in too many things. Acing Yale, (still playing the violin?)

BTW, why can't Sarah go back to Robin?
    Last edited by gezando; 06-10-2004 at 10:19 AM.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Did TT say she does not want to coach US skaters? I thought she said high profile US skaters should be coached by high profile US coach.
    TT said a lot of things, including "I/my loved ones am/are too ill", and "It was too much travel" both of which were pretty much thrown out the window when she took on Shizuka. Another one who's words require quite a bit of salt.

And I beg to differ about Sarah not being "high profile". This silly littel article has generated quite a stir, and it doesn't even say anything concrete.
    I think this is another one of those I will-I won't-Iwill-I won't interviews.
    Actually, I blame the media more than Sarah. She's spouted the same wishy-washy message all along, this particular journalist just made a bigger deal of it.

Originally posted by chuckm
    Tarasova has said she doesn't want to coach US skaters on a permanent basis.

I wouldn't take what TT says too seriously. She also said she'll just stick to coaching Russians -- and then took on Shizuka.
    Even though Arakawa is the reigning world champion, she is not exactly high profile, with a ton of hype surrounding her either. I think coaching both should not be too much of a problem for TT.
    That's not the point. Sarah and Shizuka would obviously be competing for the same medals. TT has always been careful to NOT have a potential rivalry within her group. For example, she took on Chait & Sakhnovsky only after Grushina & Goncharov left.
    BTW, why can't Sarah go back to Robin?

Only if Robin dumps Sasha. It wouldn't be right for her to coach rivals such as Sasha and Sarah.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by berthes ghost

And I beg to differ about Sarah not being "high profile". This silly littel article has generated quite a stir, and it doesn't even say anything concrete. Actually, I blame the media more than Sarah. She's spouted the same wishy-washy message all along, this particular journalist just made a bigger deal of it.
    Ok, high profile in relative sense. As the reigning OGM she should be very very high profile. So relative to her achievement, she is not as high profile. IMO it is all about relative to achievement. There are skaters who haven't really accomplish that much but are hyped as the best technician, perfect technique etc. Examples are many, Kostner is one.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Ptichka

I wouldn't take what TT says too seriously. She also said she'll just stick to coaching Russians -- and then took on Shizuka.
    [SIZE=1]
    That's not the point. Sarah and Shizuka would obviously be competing for the same medals. TT has always been careful to NOT have a potential rivalry within her group. For example, she took on Chait & Sakhnovsky only after Grushina & Goncharov left.

Only if Robin dumps Sasha. It wouldn't be right for her to coach rivals such as Sasha and Sarah.
    I still do not remember TT said she only coaches Russians. Taking Shizuka was a smart move. According to report at Skate Canada 03, TT could not take her eyes off Arakawa during practice.

Coaching rivals is not necessarily wrong, I believe S&Z, P&T, and Z&Z all have the same coach. For a while Fumie, Shizuka, Ando were coached by Sato. Fumie and Miki are still coached by Sato.

Custom Title
    I had the feeling last season that the Japanese Federation had been courting Tarasova for a long time, well before the announcement was made that Arakawa was leaving Callaghan for TT. The JF were incensed that Callaghan would not go to Japan with Arakawa for Japanese Nationals, which unfortunately coincided with Christmas. And it was just before Christmas that TT and Sasha parted company.

I also suspect that the JF probably have an agreement with TT that she will not coach a high-ranked Arakawa competitor. That would pretty much eliminate TT as a possible coach for Sarah.

Considering Arakawa's GP travel schedule (Nagoya, Paris, Moscow), I don't know how TT would be able to fit in another student anyway.

The only way Sarah could go back to Robin would be if Robin and Sasha parted company. Seeing as how Sarah and Robin didn't part on the best of terms, I don't think that will happen unless the Cohens run into a big disagreement with Wagner over Sasha's training. But I suppose anything could happen.....

Gosh, people sure like to rehash old stuf finthe off season.

Anyways, I'm not venturing any guesses as Sarah says she is thinking of maybe someday considering the posiblity that she might skate again. Considering the way skaters have been switching coahes like thier undies lately, by the time she gets around to maybe considering making a decision, everyone will probably be with a different coach anyway. Sasha is already rumored to be leaving Robin, but that's just gossip. Who knows what tomorow will bring.

Coaching rivals is not necessarily wrong, I believe S&Z, P&T, and Z&Z all have the same coach. For a while Fumie, Shizuka, Ando were coached by Sato. Fumie and Miki are still coached by Sato.
    Ah, S&Z, P&T, Z&Z... I am certain that at this point, if P&T would look like they could surpass S&Z, they would get easier programs -- S&Z are "the champions" for now. This is how it worked in the old Soviet Union. Irina Rodnina recalls that she and Ulanov never got the full 100% of their coach's attention as long as there was another couple that was supposed to be "the champions". Once they retired, it was a different story.

As for the Japanese ladies you site... I am not saying it cannot be done, I am juste saying it's rarely a good idea. Right now, most top Russian ladies skaters (except for Slutskaya and Basova) all train with the Kudryavtsevs -- and it does create tensions. One coach who ofter takes on potential rivals is Tamara Moskvina -- but she can afford it, since usually her husband, a superb coach in his own right, takes on the "2nd" team.

I'm not doubting or denying what you say, I'm just curious about the Rodnina quote. IIRC, the Protopopovs didn't quit until they were passed over in favor of the new kind on the block, Rodnina & Co. Was that at worlds and not nats?

Custom Title
    It's one thing for a coach to have rival skaters from his/her own federation, as in the case of the Russians, the Chinese and the Japanese. There is bound to be a pecking order there based on the relative success of the skaters. But for a coach from federation A to have two top competitors in the same discipline from federation B and federation C as students is quite another matter. It's almost a guarantee that all 3 would be miserable 90% of the time.

Originally posted by berthes ghost
    I'm not doubting or denying what you say, I'm just curious about the Rodnina quote. IIRC, the Protopopovs didn't quit until they were passed over in favor of the new kind on the block, Rodnina & Co. Was that at worlds and not nats?
    Actually, it wasn't the Protopopovs who were "holding up" Rodnina & Ulanov -- it was Nina Zhuk & partner (don't remember her name). According to Rodnina, they weren't even fiven the indoor ice time until they became #1 in Zhuk's team.

As for the Protopopovs -- they actually weren't included in the Olympic team (or it could have ben at Worlds -- I don't recall). Why? According to them, the Soviet Federation made a deal with the Germans -- if they voted for the Russian single skater (Kovalev?) to medal, the Russians would make sure the Germans got their team on the podium. Now, the German team was clearly inferior to the Protopopovs, so they got to stay home.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast