Hughes May Return | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Hughes May Return

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
I'm glad Sarah's thinking about returning to skating! Why would she not attend Yale AT ALL if she came back? Would she still go to a college?

tripleflutz

On the Ice
Return to Skating

Sarah said she may go back to skating, and that she missing PERFORMING and challanging herself. But she never said anything about COMPETING again. I think if she comes back she'll skate as a PRO, and maybe join the SOI tour, and see how she likes life as a touring PRO. That would be more of a logical next step for her, to compete again would be a step backward into what she did her entire childhood.

tripleflutz

berthes ghost

Final Flight
tripleflutz, skate as a pro with who? As previaously discussed, she burned her bridges with Collins and there were rumors of a botched deal with SOI back in 02, so what's left, Holliday on Ice in Europe?:eek:

euterpe

Medalist
The Hugheses' dispute with Tom Collins was over "unresolved issues" which were never spelled out, but I think it had something to do with the Hugheses expecting Sarah to be the 2003 COI headliner, as she had been in the 2002 tour. Since Kwan had won back her World Championship and Sarah had finished 6th, Collins apparently didn't want to commit to that.

Reportedly, Sarah had received an offer from SOI back in 2002, but turned it down. If Sarah did have an interest in returning as a pro, I think SOI would jump at the chance to sign her. Since Kristi went on maternity leave and Tara gave up skating, SOI hasn't had a permanent female singles star.

But I doubt Sarah is any more enthusiastic about touring than she was in 2002 (she didn't do all 30 of her COI appearances), and doubt that she'd give up college just to tour professionally. There aren't enough pro or pro/am competitions left to present any challenge to Sarah. I think Sarah may still have an itch for those elusive US and World championships, and possibly a shot at another Olympic gold, but she's weighing the intensity of the itch vs. her desire to continue with school.

I also doubt that Sarah is as unenamored of fame and celebrity as she keeps claiming she is, because she wouldn't be giving all these interviews hinting at a possible return if she really hated being someone other than "Sarah from Long Island".

I'll believe she really intends to return when I hear that she has hired a coach, resumed training, and is listed as a competitor on an upcoming event. Until then, it's all just spin.

Last edited:

tripleflutz

On the Ice
What botched deal?

Maybe Collins wouldn't take her back, but that family seems to be running COI into the ground anyway, (more cancelations on the second tour this season).
As for SOI, the rumor was that her father tried to feel them out about a deal for her to skate on weekends. So what! Whats the big deal, nothing came of it, and she never worked for SOI, so I don't see how there could be any bad feelings there. She was 17 and burnt out from training and getting a genuine education (most skaters don't) at the same time, and needed a change, but I think she's now sending a signal that she'd entertain offers for PRO skating shows. How about the Disson skating shows, Ice Wars, etc..... I'll bet that there will be at least forty or fifty quality skating shows in the US, besides the tours, that would love to have her.
For everyone to just assume that she means she'd compete again isn't very realistic, she's been there and done that. Read her comments again, she talks about missing PERFORMING, challanging herself to be her best DAILY (like on a tour), and expressing herself, and NEVER mentions competing, and didn't express any desire for more medals.
But if SOI could sign Sarah, it would be a coup for them, given their obvious difficulties in finding prominent ladies to tour with them. Kristi and Katia are part timers and how long before Yuka and Oksana want to start a family? They current crop will stay eligible for another two seasons, Tara and Lucinda are injured and can't tour, and LuLu is moving back to China to run a training center. So who else is there? Sarah is the logical choice for them just as SOI is logical for Sarah.

tripleflutz

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
If there wasn't some level of desire for more medals, Sarah wouldn't have competed in the 2002-2003 season (although it was clear her heart wasn't in it).

In interviews after the Olympics, Sarah spoke of those US and World championships, and said that she was content with her OGM. But if she keeps talking about competing again (and yes, she has specifically mentioned competing, not touring) then it seems she isn't really so content.

OTOH, maybe she just keeps dangling that possibility as a means of continuing to be in the public eye, you know, 'will she or won't she'?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
If Sarah comes back, where does she start in competitions? She is the current Olympic champion, but would she have to start in regionals (or what ever they are called, LOL) to move on to the Nationals?

Maybe she is just playing with the idea of coming back to skating, not thinking of it really seriously, perhaps. As mentioned by some other poster in this thread, neither do I think that CoP will be kind to her.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sarah filed paperwork last season to compete at Nationals and was in the USFSA "A" envelope. But since she didn't compete at Nationals 2004, she has lost her standing and doesn't get a bye to Nationals 2005.

That means if Sarah wants to return to competition, she has to go first through Regionals (October) and if she finishes in the top 4, she goes on to Sectionals (November). If she can finish in the top 4 at Sectionals, she goes on to Nationals.

Sarah hasn't been in training since April 2003, has grown taller and filled out, and is very much out of shape. As of now, she doesn't have a coach and hasn't resumed training.

euterpe

Medalist
Sylvia: "Bonni Retzkin is Emily Hughes' coach, and from what I understand, she's pretty much full-time with Emily, who will be competing quite a bit around the U.S. in club competitions this summer (in April they traveled to Finland for a Young International competition and then were in the DC area for a club competition).

Emily competed as a Junior in 2002 and 2003 Nationals, and finished 11th both times. She successfully got through Regionals last season, but was 5th at Sectionals and didn't make 2004 Junior Nationals. She did win the competition in Finland.

If Sarah is truly serious about returning to competition, I don't think sharing a coach with Emily is an option at all. Certainly Sarah would need the attention of a full-time coach in order to get back in shape and hone her skills. Sharing Emily's coach would be a lose-lose for both sisters.

liberal

Rinkside
euterpe said:
The Hugheses' dispute with Tom Collins was over "unresolved issues" which were never spelled out, but I think it had something to do with the Hugheses expecting Sarah to be the 2003 COI headliner, as she had been in the 2002 tour. Since Kwan had won back her World Championship and Sarah had finished 6th, Collins apparently didn't want to commit to that.

How close are you any of the principals to “think” that negative paragraph about Sarah? It seems you went into quite a detailed scenario on just a “think”. You surely had some inside information? :rolleye:

Or could it be that your scenario of the "unresolved issues" would be wishful thinking on your part. :sheesh:

euterpe

Medalist
re: Sarah and COI
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/5535926.htm?1c

"Tom Collins, organizer of the Champions tour...said he has a letter from John Hughes saying she would skate. Collins has been using his daughter since January in advertising for the 27-city tour....John Hughes said Tuesday there is no such agreement and his daughter could not be forced on the tour, for which she would earn approximately $300,000...'Tom has put himself in a position where he was advertising her without a commitment,' John Hughes said. 'We don't want more money. We just want an environment in which she would feel comfortable.' ....Collins said Hughes contacted him three weeks ago to say his daughter might be unable to skate with Champions. Hughes said the call was about unresolved issues involving her presence on the tour."

Apparently the "unresolved issue' had to do with Sarah not feeling 'comfortable'--and it wasn't about money.

tripleflutz

On the Ice
She'll skate Pro or stay in school

Sarah has outgrown competition, quite literally, and will have to work hard just to get in shape to do a couple of jumps in a show type program. To think she'd go back to the sort of grind that would get her in shape to do Regionals, and sectionals just to make it to Nationals. Well its already too late for that this year, There just isn't enough time to get ready for Regionals. Because if she goes that route, she must be completely prepared and she must succeed. She has a lot more to lose than gain.

I think she'll skate as a PRO or stay in school.

3axel

Nobody said it was going to be easy. She will have to train hard. Maybe she get a skate in once in awhile. we don't know.

Hey Tripllutz = What exactly is a Pro? I don't believe it has anything to do with money because the top tier eligible skaters are making big bucks. If it means show skating, then why are so many eligibles in COI? I think 'going pro' is an old fashioned phrase now. Let's say she'll be an exhibition skaters.

Joe

NorthernLite

On the Ice
euterpe said:
The Hugheses' dispute with Tom Collins was over "unresolved issues" which were never spelled out, but I think it had something to do with the Hugheses expecting Sarah to be the 2003 COI headliner, as she had been in the 2002 tour.
But I doubt Sarah is any more enthusiastic about touring than she was in 2002 (she didn't do all 30 of her COI appearances)

Boy euterpe, you're sure interested in this topic. You seem to imply that Sarah was a prima donna who wanted star treatment in COI. And yet the more logical answer was within your earlier post. Sarah never seemed to like touring that much. So when she was really burned out in 03, it was even more likely she didn't want to do the whole tour. (Remember, she was finishing up her senior year, and wanting to hang out with friends, etc.) But Collins probably wanted her to be *a* headliner at every stop. I've always thought that was the likely dispute.

In general, the Sarah threads on various boards have made me realize how much people speculate about situations of which they know little. I'm referring to other topics such as "would Robin would work with Sarah?" There's an ongoing thread about this on another board, and it hasn't halted even after someone who knows Sarah dismissed that possibility. :)

Anyway folks, she idly made a few comments that haven't even been confirmed as accurate quotes. Yet everyone's merrily analyzing everything from whether she could make it through regionals(!) to how difficult it would be for her to find another good coach. (Yeah, can't imagine anyone who'd want to work with that old reigning Olympic champion. ;))

Me - I think it's most likely she'll start out slowly, doing a few shows, and then take it from there. Or maybe she'll change her mind, and this was all just Summer Vacation Boredom speaking.

JOHIO2

Medalist
NorthernLite,

I suspect that you might be right about this all being wishful thinking of the summer boredom kind!

But....if she really wanted to try competing again, why couldn't she work in Cleveland with Carol Heiss-Jenkins and Tonia Kwiatkowski? Both have experience with college and skating. After all, Tonia got her degree at Baldwin-Wallace while still competing and training with Carol as her coach. And those two only have Sarah Wheat as their biggie student. (and Pendletons, but they're guys) Maybe the two Sarahs would be good for each other.:) Besides, it will take her awhile to get back in shape and in major competitions. Until then, there isn't any coach who would do a Robin Wagner with her, especially since Robin is otherwise engaged with Sasha.

Seriously, Cleveland has a bunch of colleges and universities and even Yale would accept transient student credits from most of them. Besides, maybe she'd want to check out Cleveland for medical school.:laugh:

I wouldn't let any Collins rumors worry me. Alexei Yagudin got booted out and returned after cutting his drinking.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Ooops. Almost forgot to add that starting from scratch is not totally out of the question. Remember, Johnny Weir had to go back and earn a spot in US Nationals this past season.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
In general, the Sarah threads on various boards have made me realize how much people speculate about situations of which they know little. ...Anyway folks, she idly made a few comments that haven't even been confirmed as accurate quotes. Yet everyone's merrily analyzing everything from whether she could make it through regionals(!) to how difficult it would be for her to find another good coach.
Thanks Northern for stating the obivous that we all knew from day 1.

This is a discussion board, and since very little and often conflicting informantion comes directly from the source (this case being a prime example) many people enjoy discussing possibilities.

Don't ever go into any field that requires theory or a suspension of disbelief to explore "what ifs", I quess it doesn't suit you. That's my advice.

Anyway, as no one has been harmed, injured or killed by this thread, I say keep the ideas coming, it's great summer reading. :love:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
JOHIO2 said:
Ooops. Almost forgot to add that starting from scratch is not totally out of the question. Remember, Johnny Weir had to go back and earn a spot in US Nationals this past season.

Johnny withdrew from US Nationals 2003 after injuring himself in the FS, and lost his bye to Nationals 2004. He didn't really have to 'start from scratch', because he was not seriously injured, and there was no training gap. He just had to go through the preliminary competitions, and he aced both Regionals and Sectionals because he was in great shape.

It's a different situation for Sarah. She's been away from training for more than a year, and meanwhile has gotten seriously out of shape. You could compare Sarah more accurately to Naomi Nari Nam, who was forced to quit skating for several years due to a hip injury for which she had to have surgery, or Angela Nikodinov, also returning from surgery for a chronic shoulder injury. These two skaters went on the comeback trail last season. NNN made it through Regionals, but finished 5th at Sectionals and so didn't make it to Nationals. At Pacific Sectionals, NNN competed against Angela Nikodinov, who was given a bye to Regionals because she was competing at Finlandia (where she finished 11th of 12). Angela won Sectionals despite doubling many of her triple jumps, then went on to finish 5th at Nationals and 7th at 4CC.