Katarina rule repealed! | Golden Skate

Katarina rule repealed!

skatingfan5

On the Ice
ISU new ruling: ladies no longer required to wear skirts; trousers or tights are now OK as well. It's about time! I think that a number of skaters would look very, very good in the clean lines of a unitard. I loved Irina's "Timeless" exhibition outfit from 2001 -- very flattering. :) Unfortunately, "men in tights" are still verboten!

Also, SP maximum length has been upped to 2 minutes and 50 seconds (10 seconds longer).

More details are
here.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
Call me a traditionalist, but I am disappointed to see that they changed the ruling on dresses for the ladies. I think dresses are by far the most appropriate.

Canuck

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Why was this the "Katarina" rule? Debi Thomas was the one who wore the unitard to her SP in Calgary. I thought the "Katarina" rule had more to do with keeping covered what needed to be covered....????

Antilles

Medalist
Interesting that is says ladies in singles and pairs don't need to wear skirts. What about dance? It seems odd that they don't have a choice.

Antilles

Medalist
I'm also glad they upped the number of couples to 30 before two groups are required for compulsary dances at ISU championships.

Spinner

Rinkside
skatepixie said:
This is stupid! What was wrong with the rule the way it was? Its skating, not gymnastics.
It's not stupid, just offering a choice. :rolleye: Women can still wear a skirt if they want. Also, this has nothing to do the with 'Katarina Rule'. That's a rule about modesty and tastefulness of your costume choice. ;)

Antilles

Medalist
It's the 21st century. Women skaters should be able to wear what they want. If skating wants to be a sport, it shouldn't quibble about clothes.

soogar

Record Breaker
ITA. I think that it's absolutely sexist that women were required to wear a short dress for singles. Now more modest girls can opt for trousers or a unitard. Plus there are a lot of religions that do not permit women to expose their legs. For example , Muslim gymnasts would wear unitards to compete (this was something I read about years ago).

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Frankly, I think this decision is due to Shizuka's overexposed Worlds win! :laugh: The judges kept looking at wedgie after wedgie and hers was the crack that finally broke the camel's back. :laugh:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Fumie Sugurie's short program costume would have been much cuter if it didnt have a skirt over pants... So I'm glad about the change. I think most skaters will still favor the traditional skirts though.

mpal2

Final Flight
:D

Don't worry skatepixie, the skirts aren't going anywhere. This just opens up a brand new avenue of costumes to love or make fun of. I, for one, am thrilled that there is more choice now.

So, who will be the first to wear pants?

Fumie has already done the pants and skirt. Anyone betting on Sasha or Michelle to start the latest trend?

soogar

Record Breaker
I bet MK will jump on the pants wagon. She looks fantastic in bodysuits and pants.

Did Fumie have anything to do with this rule change? I think it's odd how THIS year they elect to change the rule and this is the year Fumie had her well recieved SP.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
The SP length rule might be good for Michelle (remember the deduction at Worlds?). Time will certainly tell.

Michelle and her coaches and choreographers made the mistake of not sticking to the time rules. Just because they have increased the time will not make it less likely to get deductions when careless and silly mistakes are made when cutting music for the programs.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I once saw the German pair Mandy Woetzel and Ingo Steuer skate in body suits and it looked great. It was fitting for the music they chose. I think it can be done "in good taste."

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
sk8tngcanuck said:
Call me a traditionalist, but I am disappointed to see that they changed the ruling on dresses for the ladies. I think dresses are by far the most appropriate.

Canuck

I also prefer dresses for the competitions... pants cause even worse wedgies on some ladies than those underdress thingies do LOL

Yazmeen

On the Ice
As an adult female skater (who loves to wear skating dresses by the way) I'm still glad to see this change and to have the choice.

Berthe's: :laugh: on the Mike Weiss Comment. Sleeves all over the floor at the Weiss household. Now if he can just get the "Mike Pike Amendment," allowing men to show their navels...

:p