Good skating quotes | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Good skating quotes

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I Will Never Give Up! Alexander Abt
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is nothing against Abt, whom I love, and I totally understand why he quit when he did, but I just got a chuckle out of an article entitled "I Will Never Give Up!" about a guy who retired the very next season. :laugh: Gotta just love skating journalism hype!

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Sasha Abt, lost the 2002 Euro title by a narrow split - it was close, with many in the audience and some announcers basically saying he "wuz robbed". Sasha never complained about it and said since Yagudin was 3 times world champion, and it was close, of course they were going to put Alexei first.

Later that season at Nagano 2002 Worlds Abt had a beautiful SP putting him right behind Alexei, a position he held onto from the qualifying round. But his mistake in the freeskate narrowly cost him the bronze, which many in attendance and watching tapes felt that if the championships had been anywhere but Honda's home country (he took the bronze) Sasha would have come in third. So, it was his best season in many respects - but bittersweet due to circumstances, some would say, in the judging that he didn't end up with the gold at Euros and the bronze at Worlds.

Here's a story quote:
"With eight triple jumps and a quadruple toe-double toe combination, Abt beat Yagudin on all but one of the judges' scorecards.

Six of the nine, however, gave the overall nod to Yagudin based on the presentation marks. Though some say the result was a cop-out..."

Last edited:

astimegoesby

On the Ice
A lot of interesting quotes on this thread, but I'm still partial to the one in my own sig line (which I love because like so many of Kurt's other quotes, it's both funny and true!)

Another Kurt quote I like (from an interview he did with a Spanish magazine last summer is, "You are not just a champion because you win something, but a champion because of the person you are." It may not be as funny as the one in my sig line, but it's just as true. :)

Of course, if you're looking for touching, non-Kurt quotes, there's always Katia's speech at the end of "Celebration Of A Life." (the one where she tells the audience to say "I love you" to someone every day). I'm too lazy to type out the whole thing myself, but you can find the entire speech in "My Sergei." I'm sure you can find it on at least a couple of G&G/Katia fansites, too! ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
astimegoesby... I love that quote of Kurt's! then again anything he says(for the most part) is quotable IMO! ;)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like this one from Todd E. :love:

"You are the person you are regardless of what you do in a skating event."

Todd, Associated Press, January 25, 2002

icenut84

Final Flight
berthes ghost said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm famous and I didn't even know it! Taken out of context, I'm not sure it still means the same thing though.

You didn't know that quote was used in a siggy? Lol. Not sure what it was in context for (don't remember reading it apart from in the siggy), but it's funny. :)

berthes ghost

Final Flight
You didn't know that quote was used in a siggy?
Clueless. For all we know, we each could be quote on some board somewhere where we've never been. :eek: Well, now I'm finally famous and I didn't even have to lose any weight! :laugh: