Good skating quotes | Golden Skate

Good skating quotes

childfreegirl

Final Flight
On another site I'm on I'm known as "the girl who likes figure skating". There are about two other people on the whole site who share even a like for skating. I need a good quote for my siggy there. I've had the same one up since after Nats.

Thanks!

Jo

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
good skating quote as in from a skater or actually concerning figure skating?

there's always Kurt Browning's dad's famous quote to Kurt at the 92(?) Olys

"Remember: when they make the ice, they make it slippery side up." - Dewy Browning

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Elvis Stojko:

"Be your own best friend."

Lloyd Eisler:

"We're going to kick ..." (you know!!)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
"The only disability in life is a bad attitude" - Scott Hamilton
I used that for my senior quote :)

"Nothing dumb starts out stupid." - Kurt Browning

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Toller Cranston:

"Competing against every province in the land was like an international competition."

To be a genuine individualist requires a great deal of strength and courage. It is never easy to chart new territory, to cross new frontiers, or to introduce subtle shadings to an established color."
--Toller Cranston

Figure skater Toller Cranston, 45, who broke an ankle in warmups, on why he won't let it end his career:
"I have no intention of retiring in such a modest, inconspicuous way. If I break my leg, it's gotta be at least in front of television cameras."

Delightful!! ;)

icenut84

Final Flight
I'm not sure who these are by, but I like them!

"If figure skating was easy, they'd call it hockey!"

"If you don't think figure skating is a sport, you obviously haven't seen them train."

anya_angie

Final Flight
How about this wonderful quote from Alexander Abt?

Regarding 2002 Worlds

"I lost the silver medal by one judge. I did my best, but I am not the judge. I'm a figure skater. I skate and they judge. If they say this is right, this is right. When it's so close, I think it's political, but I don't care! I will do what I can. The judges will sit and judge. I can't do anything."

anya_angie

Final Flight
This one is good, I heard it not too long ago. 1997 Worlds... or is it 1995?

Ilia Kulik
Figure skating is not figure jumping.

anya_angie

Final Flight
Oh here's some classics!

Katerina Witt, 1995
"'Scuse me, Robin Hood was NOT running through the forest in a SKIRT!"

Michelle Kwan 1998
"I felt like I was actually Pocahontas! I was like, Where's my John Smith?"

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
he was still at teh Olys... I have to rewatch my Kurt Compilation though to be sure which year his dad made the comment though

icenut84

Final Flight
anya_angie said:
How about this wonderful quote from Alexander Abt?

Regarding 2002 Worlds

"I lost the silver medal by one judge. I did my best, but I am not the judge. I'm a figure skater. I skate and they judge. If they say this is right, this is right. When it's so close, I think it's political, but I don't care! I will do what I can. The judges will sit and judge. I can't do anything."

Do you mean 2002 Euros, and "I lost the gold medal by one judge"?

anya_angie

Final Flight
LOL Ain't that the truth, the quote could be applied there too, but this is about '02 Worlds, this quote is from Ice Skating Magazine, which I have all the back issues plus 2 years subscription, I have the back issues but NO NEW ISSUES, WHAT'S WITH THAT?

Kasey

Medalist
I like this one, I've heard Yagudin say it, although I'm sure there were others before him:

If you're a figure skater and you wake up and nothing is wrong, you know you're dead.

Kasey

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
icenut84 said:
Do you mean 2002 Euros, and "I lost the gold medal by one judge"?

At 2002 Euros couldn't have been because it was a 6-3 split for the gold. And I don't understand how the quote is for Nagano Worlds too. Wasn't Abt fourth in the LP and fourth overall? I think he was second after the SP, so maybe it meant that he would medal if he was third on the LP, which didn't happen by a 5-4 split?

Kasey, I think that's a great quote and that definitely shows how skating is such a tough sport. Though I think that it's more "you wake up and nothing is hurting", something like this. He probably said more than once and in different ways LOL

:rolleye: third time I edit this post...

Just recalled another great quote, also from Yagudin, although I'm not sure he was the one who came up with it because IIRC it was part of advertisement for SLC, something like that. There was a sentence for each athlete and Yagudin's said

"You can fall a thousand times, but you have to stand up when it counts the most" (I'm paraphrasing).

Last edited:

icenut84

Final Flight
One of the posters on FSU, IceAlisa, has a great quote from one of the other posters (BerthesGhost) as her signature:

"saying anything less than the most glowing of praise for Michelle Kwan is punishable under the Patriot Act."

berthes ghost

Final Flight
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm famous and I didn't even know it! Taken out of context, I'm not sure it still means the same thing though.

anya_angie

Final Flight
RIskatingfan said:
At 2002 Euros couldn't have been because it was a 6-3 split for the gold. And I don't understand how the quote is for Nagano Worlds too. Wasn't Abt fourth in the LP and fourth overall? I think he was second after the SP, so maybe it meant that he would medal if he was third on the LP, which didn't happen by a 5-4 split?

I am typing the part that comes before the quote for you both so you know this is directly from Sasha.

(Ice Skating Magazine, Volume 1 Issue 2 August 2002)

Article Title: I Will Never Give Up! Alexander Abt Featured Q&A

(interviewer)
Your performance at Worlds must be bittersweet. On one hand you secured your highest placement ever with a 4th place finish. On the other hand you missed the podium by one judge.

SA: (the quote I put above)

hehe looking through the rest of this article, I love his observations.

Some critics feel there is too much emphasis on jumps nowadays, instead of on strong spins, good footwork, interesting choreography, etc. Do you agree?

SA: Well you know figure skating is growing up. The coach works with me a lot. He prepares me physically and artistically. Alexei Yagudin's choreography was very nice, with quads. Evgeni Plushenko's also. Takeshi Honda-- he's not bad. Timothy, he of course does more quads and less skating but he jumps. Whoever puts everything together, choreography and jumps, will be on top.

He has only good things to say about his fellow skaters. I like this quote.

I know Alexei and Evgeni very good. We grew up together. We just compete and people judge and give the marks. We fight on the ice only because this is your job. When you're off ice, you should be a good human.

Anyone want to read more of the article let me know and I'll type it up!

Last edited:

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Thanks for typing that little bit :) If you want to type up the rest I won't object ;)

I still don't get how Abt would have won a silver, either it was a typo or he simply was mistaken. This is what happened at Worlds in Nagano (from the ISU site):

Yagudin = 0,4 (QR) + 0,6 (SP) + 1 (LP) = 2
Goebel = 0,4 (QR) + 2,4 (SP) + 2 (LP) = 4,8
Honda = 1,2 (QR) + 1,8 (SP) + 3 (LP) = 6
Abt = 0,8 (QR) + 1,2 (SP) + 4 (LP) = 6

LP is the tiebreaker so Honda won the bronze, although he had the same points as Abt. If Abt had placed third he would have 5 points overall = bronze. Not silver, that went to Goebel (4,8 points).