2015-16 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015-16 State of Russian Ice Dance

LisaM

Medalist
Yes this is definitely a big chance for them... they could actually even win :eeking: though I don't see that as the most likely scenario.

Though this is one of the weakest GP ice dance fields, it is probably at this point the most interesting in terms of who is going to manage to place where.

I agree, I think many people are not thinking about S/B because they have not been in the picture and during the test skates their programs weren't well received. I don't remember what senior B they did (they changed a lot, iirc) or what their scores were there. Imo I think B/S have the best shot, but all the Russian teams still have a chance, especially now P/C are out.

Mattieu

Medalist
so... PC will not skate, big chance for Stepukin I think. Though their 2 dances are kind of boring for me this season, I still like them a lot. If they are gonna win that Silver, then back to COR they will have more advantage. And since PC's out, maybe Bobrova and Soloviev can get at least a silver too at NHK? Increase the chance of getting last ticket to Spain? :agree:

That would be a travesty if S/B win here, as that would mean B/S would probably be out of the final even if they beat S/B in Japan.
I want S/K & B/S for the final. S/K because they have had the best showing of the Russian teams so far and B/S because they are more reliable than S/K

Last edited:

LisaM

Medalist
Still think it's strange that people put S/K up top when they have had one succesful outing. B/S make much more sense, but the other two couples have much more to prove before I would personally call them top contenders.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Still think it's strange that people put S/K up top when they have had one succesful outing. B/S make much more sense, but the other two couples have much more to prove before I would personally call them top contenders.

I 100% agree with you. Sinitsina/Katsalapov as new team as Ilinykh/Zhiganshin. To make such assumptions after one succesful or unsuccessful event is kinda silly.

Last edited:

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Well. This is what? The 9th real competition I/Z has had. How many completely clean competitions have they had? ZERO. this is their second year and I have seen no improvement in their skating. The basics are there. Speed, power. But they are still scratchy and they always blow one element or another.

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I think M/K are moving up slowly but they need better programes IMO.

S/B are the dark horses they were fab in the SD at TB.We'll get to see them again next week at NHK.

TheGothicEme

On the Ice
I like Monko Khaliavin very much this season. Team Zhulin is very interesting and lovely to watch.
So, Bobrova and Soloviev still have the best short dance so far, and of all Russian team they are the most likely to break 70 points at the end of this season.
until now top 3 for me is B/S, S/B and M/K (yes, I put M/K above S/K - if the had been scored fairly, S/K shouldn't have had that high score in my opinion). I/Z need time to put everything together, I'm not giving up hope yet.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Hmm, usually Monko/Khaliavin actively annoy me, but this season so far they just bore me. So I guess that's progress (for me or for them, I'm not sure).

I will say I'm very impressed with all of the Russian teams' RWs.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
hmm as a S/K fan I should be happy that they're 3rd but I cant/:scratch3:
Weaker showing than SA & unexpected fall from Ruslan put me not in a good mood even if Im not always a fan of I/Z.:disapp:

Both pairs were nervous imo

LisaM

Medalist
I agree Sugarpova, I wish for a clean competition at Nationals! Also, though this ups S/K's chances for GPF, I do think it will be very close with B/S. I wonder if they could both make it? Probably also depends on H/D.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I agree Sugarpova, I wish for a clean competition at Nationals! Also, though this ups S/K's chances for GPF, I do think it will be very close with B/S. I wonder if they could both make it? Probably also depends on H/D.

I think that S/K have more longer term potential than B/S. I actually like S/K's look together. I am said about I/K still but S/K seem to be improving and getting more consistent.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Stepanova and Bukin suck but they also aren't as prone to major screw ups like I/Z. One fall a season as opposed to a major screw up every other competitition. And I/Z aren't that much better that they can afford missing a whole element. I see Stepanova and Bukin getting the third spot.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I think that S/K have more longer term potential than B/S.

Maybe. But long-term potential won't earn Russia three spots at next year's Worlds. I think the Russian team that came out ahead in the SD today was Bobrova & Soloviev. They stood up & did their job at SC against two of the same teams, G&F and W&P; and B&S did it without a major crash during the competition or in practice beforehand. It's possible S&K may have more scoring potential. (I don't know, though. I find B&S's programs more compelling). And it's possible S&K may make the GPF over B&S. (The reverse is possible as well).

But if I'm looking for a team I would not leave home this season, B&S are the ones I would want waging battle for those top three spots. M&K aren't scoring above G&F this season. That means they could be on the bubble for not finishing top ten at Worlds with a clean skate. I&Z and S&K should be top ten, but the potential for a major mistake is scary. B&S aren't the most consistent dance team I've seen; but they aren't likely to hurtle down into eleventh place. Russia doesn't have the luxury of risking everything on the future this season. They need that third spot back first.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I and Z really re having problems technically actually all Russian teams or the top three do - very inconsistent and prone to disaster. It will be tough for them to get three teams for 2017 worlds - there are C and L, the French, Chock and bates, W and P, the Shibs sibs and still another Italian or American team that could beat them. I wish though it will never happen I and K had stayed together and worked for year or two with Ship focussing on tech before going to zueva or maybe Dubreil and Lauzon. Now it looks like the momentum is with s and k and b and s.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
hmm as a S/K fan I should be happy that they're 3rd but I cant/:scratch3:
Weaker showing than SA & unexpected fall from Ruslan put me not in a good mood even if Im not always a fan of I/Z.:disapp:

Both pairs were nervous imo

Probably they were nervous because the competition to make it to Boston is especially fierce this year, what with only two slots. So each GP appearance is like a 'mini-Russian Nationals." This is particularly the case at RosCom, where they have home field advantage (and all that entails: let's keep it real, we all know what it entails, at every "home").

katha

On the Ice
I think what's becoming pretty clear, though, is that the international judges see B/S, I/Z and S/K as the top three Russian teams, in whatever order. They've created a gap between those three and all the other Russian dance teams (with S/B somewhere in between first and second tier, perhaps that will change in NHK, but tbh I don't think so) in the scores. So they might not wade into the "Who is Russian number one?" question and may leave that to the Russian Fed, but they've made their preference for first three very apparent IMO.

Tend to agree that B/S are the most consistent and not likely to produce random disaster skates, which might give them a slight edge when it comes to considerations. Though I would tentatively propose that S/K seem to be stabilizing? The SD yesterday was nervous, something that would have totally thrown them off last season, but they pulled through with respectable marks. Of course it's too early to say if they can keep this up consistently.

Wanted girl

Rinkside
I would like to see B/S, I/Z and S/K at Europeans. Not sure who is Russian number one, but they definetely are top three Rissian teams now.
I do not believe in B/S in a long term, but I hope that we will see them at WC to have three spots next year. Both I/Z and S/K are inconsistent :( and they definitely need more time.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
The judges are clearly sending a message to IZ with their PCS. Get your act together. IZ need to have a clean competition with no obvious errors to get back into the good graces of the judges.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
As I said, Stepanova and Bukin are terrible and I think last year's success was the result of a good free dance. But their disasters are less frequent than IZ's or SK's.