2015-16 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015-16 State of Russian Ice Dance

Mirunna

Record Breaker
The judges are clearly sending a message to IZ with their PCS. Get your act together. IZ need to have a clean competition with no obvious errors to get back into the good graces of the judges.

Pretty much. And considering that Russian Nationals usually prefers the team with the most success GP seasons (for instance, I/Z had a weak FD at nationals last year and they still won the title while S/K skated very well and placed behind M/K and S/B), barring disasters, I expect to see S/K and B/S going 1 and 2 at nationals and the third spot will be between I/Z and S/B - I don't see M/K as a threat this year. It's pretty obvious that I/Z has potential to score much more than S/B internationally and I expect I/Z to take the bronze if everything goes well. Then, considering how RN handled a similar situation in the past, S/K, B/S and I/Z will probably face off at Europeans and top 2 will get to go to worlds.

Last edited:

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Pretty much. And considering that Russian Nationals usually prefers the team with the most success GP seasons (for instance, I/Z had a weak FD at nationals last year and they still won the title while S/K skated very well and placed behind M/K and S/B), barring disasters, I expect to see S/K and B/S going 1 and 2 at nationals and the third spot will be between I/Z and S/B - I don't see M/K as a threat this year. It's pretty obvious that I/Z has potential to score much more than S/B internationally and I expect I/Z to take the bronze if everything goes well. Then, considering how RN handled a similar situation in the past, S/K, B/S and I/Z will probably face off at Europeans and top 2 will get to go to worlds.

Surprises can happen. Sinitsina and Zhiganshin had a horrible grand prix and world university games but they got the third Olympic spot at nationals.

Nikita still can't twizzle but neither can Ruslan. Even when he was with Sinitsina, Ruslan always looked like he was going to fall.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Surprises can happen. Sinitsina and Zhiganshin had a horrible grand prix and world university games but they got the third Olympic spot at nationals.

Nikita still can't twizzle but neither can Ruslan. Even when he was with Sinitsina, Ruslan always looked like he was going to fall.

I agree. But if all teams skate clean, I predict S/K and B/S to go 1 and 2, and the third place to I/Z. Ruslan is not that unstable in the twizzles IMO and neither is Nikita as of lately, but they are prone to errors, as you've said. I still think that I/Z is head and shoulders above both S/B and M/K. Let's see what S/B score at NHK trophy. If they don't get at least 62 in the SD and 95 in the FD, I say I/Z head to nationals as favorite for a podium finish.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Nikita isn't making obvious mistakes but his technique still is terrible and a mistake is waiting to happen. Same with Ruslan

S/B scored a 60 in France so they are not that far off. If they fix their level issues and with some backing, I can see them challenging for the third spot. Monko and Khaliavin are better than them, but they've just been a disaster since Russian Nationals last year and I really think they're done.

Last edited:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Of course S/B have a chance, even though, let's say, they don't get high scores in Japan. I was talking about likable scenarios. S/B can definitely challenge for third spot, especially considering their huge national support from the federation...I agree about M/K, they are better skaters, but this season are a mess.
I don't think Nikita's or Ruslan's techniques are bad. They are both pretty good. Nikita can be excellent when he concentrates. Ruslan is also improving despite the setback from yesterday

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Nikita's twizzles are very fast but his tracking is terrible. An analogy would be like Bazarova's jumps. She lands them and there was a period she was doing it consistently, but she gets no height on them so a disaster is waiting to happen.

witcher

Match Penalty
Russian Fed's tech boss Lakernik (hate him btw. :biggrin:), while assessing Russian skaters by disciplines, said about dance that it's sad I/K broke up as they were the only ones able to compete with foreign teams, that they need to prepare new pairs now and S/K is the pair that is moving in the right direction. He also added (google translate):
Sinitsina - Katsalapov somewhere slightly insure skating free program at our Grand Prix to confidently make the items. But they need to add speed skating backhand, that's when it will be great to watch. But even here, in the free dance, they were on an equal footing with strong contenders. The dance did not immediately put high scores, so we have to work.
In Moscow, they skated well, but can ride even better. To do this, they need to work hard and gain competitive experience.

He didn't say a single word about I/Z.

Last edited:

LisaM

Medalist
'They were on an equal footing with strong contenders'. Not reaaaally though. There's still a huge step between the top teams and any of the Russian teams. And as we can see, a lot can change in a year, and not always foe the better.

whatif

Medalist
'They were on an equal footing with strong contenders'. Not reaaaally though. There's still a huge step between the top teams and any of the Russian teams. And as we can see, a lot can change in a year, and not always foe the better.

Actually, they were. They got the highest TES in FD. All they need is to catch up with the PCS.

LisaM

Medalist
Actually, they were. They got the highest TES in FD. All they need is to catch up with the PCS.

In the FD, they are getting close, but they have a long way to go in the SD. So overall they're not close yet.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Consistency is the key. Who cares about immediate success or the lack of it? Bronze at home GP event? Bah! It's nothing. The goal is next Olympics, top teams can't afford falls and missed elements AT ALL. In my opinion, the door is still open, the Fed will never put all the eggs in one basket, especially if that basket is new and unpredictable as Sinitsina/Katsalapov.
I would like for Ilinykh/Zhiganshin to change their coaching team, and the best option will be (I'm sorry Alba, I know you disagree with me on that one) Igor Shpilband. He wanted to work with Russian team long time ago, he needs real talent, and he has the reputation. Yes, they will be his second team after Chock/Bates, for now, but they're behind Chock/Bates anyway with Alekseeva/Kustarova. Money? Yeah, that's problem, but it's solve-able. And the dividents will be much bigger than the cost.

Mattieu

Medalist
Consistency is the key. Who cares about immediate success or the lack of it? Bronze at home GP event? Bah! It's nothing. The goal is next Olympics, top teams can't afford falls and missed elements AT ALL. In my opinion, the door is still open, the Fed will never put all the eggs in one basket, especially if that basket is new and unpredictable as Sinitsina/Katsalapov.
I would like for Ilinykh/Zhiganshin to change their coaching team, and the best option will be (I'm sorry Alba, I know you disagree with me on that one) Igor Shpilband. He wanted to work with Russian team long time ago, he needs real talent, and he has the reputation. Yes, they will be his second team after Chock/Bates, for now, but they're behind Chock/Bates anyway with Alekseeva/Kustarova. Money? Yeah, that's problem, but it's solve-able. And the dividents will be much bigger than the cost.

I agree, as all they need is someone to sort out the technical issues, the presentation is all there.
Though Igor's choice in music and programs is so boring, I can't imagine Elena with him.

Marta25

Medalist

What I`ve read on different forums, people want them to go to Platov. I don`t think that they would even consider a coaching change, they seem to be very happy with Kustarova. I`m unsure if the Fed would pressure them to change coaches, I really don`t know how these things work in Russia. The sad thing is, that I/Z actually are receiving very high levels, even better than C/B, but their coaching team seems to lack any political influence on the judges.

Snow63

Record Breaker
What I`ve read on different forums, people want them to go to Platov. I don`t think that they would even consider a coaching change, they seem to be very happy with Kustarova. I`m unsure if the Fed would pressure them to change coaches, I really don`t know how these things work in Russia. The sad thing is, that I/Z actually are receiving very high levels, even better than C/B, but their coaching team seems to lack any political influence on the judges.

Good point. But sadly, I don't see them on top with Alekseeva/Kustarova. For the exact reason you mentioned - the lack of political influence on the judges. And no chance they will go to Platov, they will never agree. It's great and cozy to live and train in happy family, but Alekseeva/Kustarova are mostly junior's coaches, sometimes it's time to move on and make that next step. It's only my opinion.

Snow63

Record Breaker
A Russian team got the highest TES in Russia. At Rostlecom. Well color me shocked. :eeking:

Actually they had highest TES in US too. At Skate America :) But then, Chock/Bates had issues.

Free dance:
Sinitsina - 50.28
Chock - 48.80
Gilles - 47.73

I actually find it funny that all Zoueva's teams have very high TES marks this season: Cappellini/Lanotte, the Shibs, Sinitsina/Katsalapov. After last season's technical fiasco something's clearly changed in her team. She sacrificed someone, or made some other deal with the devil? :biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker

I agree they seem happy, and think they probably are, but on the other hand only true fools would make it known they were unhappy with their coach (or partner for that matter) even if they were... that is why splits so often come as a huge surprise to the fans. My feeling on this is that at the end of the day I/Z would probably switch coaches if they believed they could not progress any further with their current coach (whoever it was), as most teams would, because at the end of the day they want to progress. But I highly doubt they've reached that point at this juncture, so I don't know that this is really worth speculating about now.

Mattieu

Medalist
I actually find it funny that all Zoueva's teams have very high TES marks this season: Cappellini/Lanotte, the Shibs, Sinitsina/Katsalapov. After last season's technical fiasco something's clearly changed in her team. She sacrificed someone, or made some other deal with the devil? :biggrin::biggrin:

Great imagery, Zoueva politiking with the devil ! :dev2::devil:

whatif

Medalist
Actually they had highest TES in US too. At Skate America :) But then, Chock/Bates had issues.

Free dance:
Sinitsina - 50.28
Chock - 48.80
Gilles - 47.73

You can blame C/B's issues, but the fact remains that in both international outings this season, they have scored highest in each competition.

Snow63

Record Breaker
You can blame C/B's issues, but the fact remains that in both international outings this season, they have scored highest in each competition.

I don't blame anything, and I do not argue with facts.