A Timely Photograph | Golden Skate

A Timely Photograph

IDLERACER

Medalist
Apparently Sasha Cohen isn't the only skater who has gotten up close and personal with a president. Anyone care to try putting a caption to THIS?

CB1AB2

Medalist
I'm not going to=but=wow=how must she feel now=to have been able to shake his hand=it must have been a great honor

cb

Okay, so I'm blind. But I can't quite tell who the skater (I assume it's a skater) is with the late Prez Reagan. From her height, it seems like Sarah Hughes. But what's with the hair?

I give. Can somebody tell me who the skater is? The photo looks as if it was taken when Reagan wasn't doing too well, but still there for a handshake.
Rgirl

berthes ghost

Final Flight
How could you not recognize Angela Nikadinov's bubble hair cut fromt he famous "Mummy fridge-break" season? The picture is bad, but is that really Reagan or is she in a wax museum?

IDLERACER

Medalist
I know I'm a minority of one on this, but I used to think Angela's bed-head haircut was really cute, in a retro sort of way. But then, when your face is that cute, any haircut sort of works.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Did Pres. Regan even know at this point in time whose hand he was shaking? 42

IDLERACER

Medalist
Probably not. Perhaps there should be a voice bubble over his head that says "Er Um, pardon me, but aren't you Michelle Lipinski?"

skatepixie

On the Ice
Sarah? Dude...thats Angela. I know that even though I didnt even follow skating back when she had hair like that. Well, I followed it, but not enough to know Angela...

When was this picture taken?

Edit: Answering my own question...Jan 1999....

Last edited:

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Gee, before reading all the other posts (and noticing the photo is from Angela's website!), I would have thought Barb Underhill was the skater in the photo. The haircut is similar, there are Canadian and American flags in the background, but then I realized Angela's a little bit taller than Barb! ;)

berthes ghost said:
How could you not recognize Angela Nikadinov's bubble hair cut fromt he famous "Mummy fridge-break" season? The picture is bad, but is that really Reagan or is she in a wax museum?
:laugh: :eek: Like I said, I'm blind.

And even now that I know it's Angela and even though I've followed Angela her entire career and saw her skate live in '98 at the Goodwill Games, I STILL don't recognize the photo as being Angela, lol.

I remember Angela's frosted bubble haircut and that very scary "Mummy" costume very well, but this haircut doesn't look like any skater I know.

Just give me the Doofus Award for this one.:p
Rgirl (At least I recognized Reagan--ooh, poor guy.)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I saw it was Angela right off ;)

speaking of skaters and Regan, Scott Hamilton and his wife were invited guests at his burial the other night...

skatepixie

On the Ice
yes...they were...but ABC didnt show them. Raar...

Did Scott ever do a special performence for them? Or was it simply that he won in his term?

Last edited:

John King

Final Flight
Scotty and Ronnie

Skatepixie,Scott mentions in his book,that Reagan congratulated him by phone for winning the Olympics,a conversation that Scott had to render brief.When they met in person,Scott said "Mr. President,I'm sorry I was short with you over the phone,but as you can see,I've been short with most people all my life".That caused Ronnie to laugh.Later,when news of Scott's cancer broke out,he received a letter from Nancy that really touched him(Ronnie was rather ill at that stage).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
someone else said at one time that if you could make Regan laugh you'd have a friend in him for life...

I have the clip of Scott saying that to Regan. It's too cute/funny

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Re: Scotty and Ronnie

John King said:
Skatepixie,Scott mentions in his book,that Reagan congratulated him by phone for winning the Olympics,a conversation that Scott had to render brief.When they met in person,Scott said "Mr. President,I'm sorry I was short with you over the phone,but as you can see,I've been short with most people all my life".That caused Ronnie to laugh.Later,when news of Scott's cancer broke out,he received a letter from Nancy that really touched him(Ronnie was rather ill at that stage).

Unfortunately, I've never read Scott's book, but I noticed him at Reagan's funeral and wondered what kind of relationship they had, so thanks for sharing this story!

IDLERACER

Medalist
Although I understand they moved recently, Scott used to live in Westlake Village, which is not far from the Reagan Library in neighboring Simi Valley. If he still maintains a house there, it would only be about a 15 minute drive.

skatepixie

On the Ice
:laugh: Thats so like Scott, isnt it?

Well, I asked because I *thought* I remembered somethign like that.

Wasnt there something with Peggy Fleming's older son and one of the presidents? Which president?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rgirl said:
Okay, so I'm blind. But I can't quite tell who the skater (I assume it's a skater) is with the late Prez Reagan. From her height, it seems like Sarah Hughes. But what's with the hair?Rgirl
Rgirl, don't feel bad, I didn't know who it was at first and I can't still believe it's Angela.
:laugh: :confused: :laugh:

Dee